MOATE OF ARDSCULL
Moate of Ardscull is famous in local myth and legend and is
indeed believed by some to be the abode of the little
people. It is assumed to have been built in the
late 12th or 13th century. The first clear reference to the
Moate is in 1654 when the 'Book of General Orders' noted a request
from the inhabitants of County Kildare for the State to contribute
£30 "towards the finishing of a Fort that they have built
at the Moate of Ardscull".
in a commanding position on the main Kilcullen to Athy road,
the Moate offered extensive views in all directions. The
structure is a large oval-shaped mound 11 meters high, surrounded
by a ditch and bank. The entrance was on the west of the Moate.
Here there is an opening through the upper bank and a causeway
across the ditch, which is between 6 and 7meters wide.
The external bank is 10meters wide. A sub-rectangular
area is visible from aerial photographs on the north side of
the Moate. This may be the remains of a ploughed-out bailey.
Field walking in the area uncovered shreds of post-medieval
pottery and a furnace bottom.
The appearance of the
Moate was changed considerably in the 1800s with the plantation of trees and
the construction of a surrounding wall. More recently, Kilmead Community Council
have developed a picnic area which has become a popular spot with locals and tourists