« June 2008 | Main | September 2008 »

July 31, 2008


Leinster Leader MARCH 23rd 1907
 CONCERT (p. 5)
In Kildare.
The lovers of the old tongue had reason for congratulation at Kildare and Newbridge on St. Patrick’s night, when the Carmelite Hall in the former and the Town Hall in the latter were for the time being changed into Gaelic concert ones. From the talent displayed in both places it is scarcely remarkable that from a financial point of view a very great success was obtained, and in each instance a very enjoyable evening was spent. Both in Kildare and Newbridge the night was treated as an Irish one, and the halls were thronged. In Newbridge there is a net profit after the concert of ₤16.
“The Deal Little Shamrock” in a chorus by the girls of the Convent School opened the Kildare Gaelic concert, the different voices blending beautifully. The Kildare branch of the League then danced an eight-hand reel, in very good style, after which Mrs. Hennessy sang with much feeling and in her usual fine voice “Kathleen Mavourneen.” It is scarcely necessary to say that Mr. Cathal McGarvey did full justice to the recitation, “Sentenced to Death.” Miss Cissie Conway danced an Irish jig very nicely and in good time. Accompanied by Miss Bridie Hennessy on the violin, Master Thomas in a very pleasing voice sang “Aileen Aroon.” Mr. O’ Toole, of Nurney, touched the boards very lively to good time in a hornpipe.
The singing by Colonel Butler, who possesses a very fine voice, was much appreciated in “I saw from the Beach,” following which the Kildare branch occupied the boards with a four-hand reel. A selection of Irish airs was beautifully rendered on the violin by Miss Bridie Hennessy. Messrs. Twitchen and Dowling immediately afterwards got through a two-hand jig in capital style. Nancy Hennessy, who is quite a child, sang “Oh, I Love You, Dolly, I do,” very pleasingly, and a double jig by the boys of the Christian Brothers was much enjoyed.
In “The Sergeant and the Cart,” Mr. Cathal McGarvey was in his usual good form, and the singing of “The Coulin” by Miss Jones was much appreciated. At hornpipe by Mr. Crosby of Brownstown, followed, and was very well gone through. The chorus by the Christian Brothers’ pupils of “Has Sorrow Thy Young Days Shaded” was in perfect harmony and applauded, but there was not the slightest evidence of sorrow in the house when Miss Quinlivan in very fine voice described the manoeuvres of the impudent “Barney O’ Hea.” If she did not exactly pile on the blarney she must to say the least of it-have put the “comether” on the audience, judging by the extent of the applause.
An eight-hand reel was then gone through by the Kildare branch, after which Mr. M. Heffernan recited in very fine style “The Lament of the Irish Tongue.” This was followed by the dancing of a double jig in perfect time by the Kildare class. “The Wexford Threshing Song,” on of Mr. Cathal McGarvey’s favourites, was sung by him and each applauded, and Master M. Mullally very feelingly rendered, “Mollie Bawn.” An Irish dialogue by Messrs. Heffernan and Dunne was very interesting after which Mrs. Hennessy sang “Maureen,” and was received with much appreciation. In a fine dashing style, and in good voice, Mr. Quinlivan treated the audience to the “Irish Jaunting Car.” Mr. Connery, organiser, danced a very lively hornpipe, and footed the floor in rare fashion.
The final chorus was as appropriate to the occasion and the night as the opening one, where the young girls of the Convent School sang “The Dear Old Tongue.” This brought to a close on of the most pleasant evenings yet held in St. Brigid’s town by the lovers of the old tongue.
The getting through in such a successful manner of a Gaelic concert in Kildare entails a very large amount of work and worry on the few who never complain of any inconvenience but merely look on it as if it were on the day’s agenda in connection with the cause, and as a result-a labour of love. The good Nuns in an especial manner deserve very much thanks for the careful training which must have been bestowed on the children who took part in the concert. Indeed, they have ever since a Gaelic branch was started in Kildare not lost an opportunity of teaching the language and sowing in the minds of their young pupils a love for it.
It is scarcely necessary to say that over Ireland the Christian Brothers are strong in their support of the old tongue, and Brother Adrian, and the other good members of the Community at Kildare are not exceptions. One would pardon a feeling of pride at the manner in which their pupils turned out on Sunday night. In fact, all round it is apparent that in Kildare the young idea is learning to shoot in the way that it should.
Dr. Rowan took a very deep interest in the promotion of the concert, and was indefatigable in looking after the different details and general arrangements. Mr. Connery, organiser, had quite enough on his hands too, while Messrs. Andrew Fitzpatrick and John Hennessy were the reverse of idle. Miss Malone throughout played the accompaniments on the piano in her usual good style.
With the general audience there were:-Very Rev. Fr. Campion, P.P.; Rev. Fr. Cowley, O.C.C.; Rev. Fr. McDermott, O.C.C.; Rev. Brother Adrian, Superior and the members of the Christian Brothers Community. The one matter for regret was the absence of the Very Rev. Fr. Staples, Prior, O.C.C., who owing to a recent attack of illness was unable to attend. We are very pleased to learn however that Fr. Staples is again well on the way to his usual health and strength. It is needles to say that the Gaelic Committee are very grateful for his kindness in placing at their disposal the Carmelite Hall on Sunday evening.

Leinster Leader report 23 March 1907 on a concert in Kildare to celebrate St. Patrick's Day

[typed and checked by Breid Kelly on behalf of Cill Dara Historical Society]

Posted by mariocorrigan at 11:20 PM


Leinster Leader 16 March 1907
 Kildare Petty Sessions (p. 8)
(From our Reporter)
The usual fortnightly Petty Sessions were held on Thursday last, before Major Thackeray, R.M. (presiding), Messrs. J. Moore, C. Bergin, and E. Conlan.
Constable Joseph Stephenson summoned John Quinn for riding a horse on the footpath. Mr. J. F. Dowling, solicitor, appeared for defendant, and explained that through illness Mr. Quinn could not appear, but he was willing the case should go on. After some legal arguments the case was adjourned.
All the arrangements are complete for the above contest, which takes place on the Show Grounds, Athy, on St. Patrick’s Day. A special train leaves Knightsbridge for Athy Athy, at 12 o’ clock. It will at all intermediate stations. The match is at 2.30, and the return train leave Athy at 7 o’ clock. Tickets-Dublin, 2s.; Sallins, 1s. 6d.; Kildare, 1s. At present the keenest rivalry exists between the above teams. When they last met at Jones’s Road a few weeks ago Kildare went under.  But now, when our County team is preparing for the home-final, we confidently expect better things from them. For “style” in play the match on Sunday next will be equal to, if not superior the home final. The Kildare County Committee may be congratulated for providing such an admirable treat for Gaels on St. Patrick’s Day.
The Shamrock Football Club gold medals for the junior teams will be exhibited at the Athy match on Sunday. The medal is a beautiful one, with harp on top circling with shamrocks, and centre for initials.
At the annual meeting of the Shamrock Football Club, held in Kildare, the following resolution was proposed by Mr. J. Dunne, seconded by Mr. J. Duncan, and passed unanimously:-“That we tender to Mr. Flood our best thanks for giving us the use of his field for the past year.”
The Joint Committee will, at the their meeting to be held here on FRIDAY, March 22nd, 1907, at the hour of Two o’ clock, proceed to consider Tenders for the Supply of Beef and Mutton, Irish, and good quality, to be delivered at the Infirmary as required and cut up by Contractor under direction of Matron, from April 1st, 1907, to March 31st, 1908. Sealed Tenders, and addressed to the Presiding Chairman, will be received by me up to an not later than 12 o’ clock noon on day of Meeting. Tender Forms to be had from me on application.
R. KINGSTON, Secretary,
The above Club intend carrying out a Football Tournament for a Set of Gold Medals-Open to Junior Teams of Kildare and adjoining counties.
Entries will Close on FRIDAY, 29th MARCH, 1907, with Hon. Sec.,
MR. JOE WATERS, Kildare.
Draw will take place on the 31st March.
Comann Na Gaeilge (p. 4) 
17th MARCH, 1907
Under the auspices of the Gaelic League,
Who have secured the services of
The King of Irish Ireland Entertainers.
STEPHEN O’ BRIEN, Nurney, will give
An exhibition in Step Dancing; also
Jigs, reels, hornpipes galore!
Irish Dialogues, Recitations, Songs, Music
&c. will be rendered by the best local talent.
Doors open at 7 o’ clock. Commence 7.30.
Seats-3s., 2s., 1s.

Some interesting snippets on Kildare from the pages of the Leinster Leader for 16 March 1907

[typed and checked by Breid Kelly on behalf of Cill Dara Historical Society]

Posted by mariocorrigan at 10:59 PM

July 28, 2008


Kildare Observer, 23/6/1888.
(450 TO 525)
Out of the mists of miracle there looms before us, thirteen centuries ago in Ireland, the figure of a mighty woman – Brigid (or Bridgett) of Kildare. A woman who, without any doubt, impressed her personality upon her time and country, but whose character and actions can only be outlined by the uncertain light of the traditions of miracle and legend which both conceal and reveal her life.
In whatever way the stories strike us that a globe of fire hovered over the place where Brigid was born; or that the frighted mother came home from the fields on day to find her cottage all ablaze, and to the baby lay laughing with rosy cheeks unscathed amidst the flames; or that a pillar of light shone over the head of the maiden when she took her vows; - believe we these things or believe we them not, they mark one unmistakeable truth – they point to a life of no common order.
Through the halo of these and the many other legends which surround her, Brigid appears a type of all that is best in the character of Irishwomen. We see her first as a bright, assiduous child, sharing all she has with the poor; then as an earnest girl, striving to fulfil her filial duties under difficult and complex conditions; finally, as the self-sacrificing, devout woman, who felt that throughout all her life in all things she has the help of an angel of God while she spent her life for others, teaching and healing their quarrels as well as their diseases.
That her father was of noble birth all the accounts agree. The earlier narrative relate that her mother was a bond-woman, a second Hagar. May it not be that the difficulties brought to her earlier years by the unequal conditions of her parents aided to develop in Brigid that universal sympathy for all living creatures which she seems to have possessed-she not only fed the starving dog, but the wild boar from the woods, rushing down on the swine she was watching, at a word from her became tame. The wild fowl at her call came hovering round, and let her fondle them.
Whether a temporary and opportune blindness really came to her aid in the matter or not does not alter the fact that she overcame the plans her father had made for the marriage of his beautiful and attractive daughter, and early devoted herself to a religious life.
The great apostle of his age and country, St Patrick, received her as his daughter, and became to her as a father. What the great council of bishops was which sought her opinion is not apparently clear, nor the occasion of the visit paid by seven bishops to the saint at Kildare, but these references to her opinion show that her judgment was valued, and that she inspired confidence in the best minds of her time.
Her birthplace was at Fochart, in County Louth but her childhood and youth were passed partly in the west, partly in the south. When her fame grew the inhabitants of Leinster besought her to return to them, and she, seeing in their wishes a diving call, fixed her place of abode under an oak which she much loved-the henceforth famous Kildare (Church of the Oak), where in after years a holy fire was kept perpetually burning on her shrine. There, during her life, both a monastery and nunnery grew up under her rule, with on church in common. At Kildare she was buried, and thence about 1185 her remains were translated to the tomb of Saint Patrick and Saint Columba, that the remains of Ireland’s three greatest saints might rest side by side. There are churches to her honour in many lands, and many places have sought to be connected with her. She is said to have dwelt for a time in the Isle of Man. Abernethy in Scotland, Glastonbury in England have claimed to be her place of burial, the fame of lesser Brides being absorbed in the light of this greatest Bride, Brigid, or Bridgett,
Who rode on the waves of the world,
As the sea-bird rides upon the billow,
Strong in affection, ready in pity, clear in judgment, bright in spirit,-long may Brigid be the type of the daughters of Erin. – H. B. in Womens Suffrage Journal.

A short article from the Women's Suffrage Journal on St. Brigid of Kildare, reprinted in the Kildare Observer newspaper in June 1888.

[typed and edited by Breid Kelly}

Posted by mariocorrigan at 11:27 PM

July 08, 2008


Kildare County Library, Local Studies, Genealogy and Archives Dept. in partnership with Kildare Town Heritage Centre have recently launched 'A Topographical Dictionary of County Kildare in 1837' being the relevant 'Kildare' extracts from Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland published in that year. It has been re-edited since the material was first made available on the internet, corrected and material added and now appears with almost 1300 references in the comprehensive index as well as a glossary and the original parameters for the survey as set out in the Leinster Express of 1834. It was compiled by Mario Corrigan, Niamh McCabe and Michael Kavanagh.
The book is on sale at Farrells of Newbridge, Barker and Jones in Naas, Kildare Town and Athy Heritage Centres, Malones Newsagents in Kildare and Kildare Outlet Shopping (Kildare Retail Village) and is priced at €15.99
Lewis Front Cover240.jpg
Below is an extract from the book re. County Kildare
KILDARE (County of), an inland county of the province of Leinster, bounded on the east by the counties of Dublin and Wicklow, on the north by Meath, on the west by the King’s and Queen’s counties, and on the south by Carlow. It comprises an area, according to the Ordnance survey, of 392,435 acres, of which 325,988 are cultivated ground, and 66,447 are unprofitable mountain and bog. The population, in 1821, amounted to 99,065, and in 1831, to 108,424.
This county is partly within the diocese of Dublin but chiefly in that of Kildare. For purposes of civil jurisdiction it is divided into the baronies of Carbery, Clane, Connell, Ikeathy and Oughterany, Kilcullen, Kilkea and Moone, East Narragh and Rheban, West Narragh and Rheban, East Ophaly, West Ophaly, North Naas, South Naas, North Salt, and South Salt. 
It contains the incorporated assize and market towns of Naas and Athy; the ancient disfranchised borough and market town of Kildare; the market and post-towns of Kilcock, Maynooth, Celbridge, Monastereven,Timoline, Rathangan, Leixlip, Kilcullen-Bridge, and Newbridge; and the post-towns of Castledermot, Clane and Ballytore: the largest villages are Prosperous, Kill, Johnstown-Bridge, and Sallins. Prior to the Union it sent ten members to the Irish parliament. The election, if held between the spring and summer assizes, takes place at Naas; if at any other period of the year, at Athy. 
The county is included in the home circuit: the spring assize is held at Naas, and the summer assize at Athy, at each of which are a county court-house and gaol. The general quarter sessions are held at Athy and Maynooth in January, at Kildare and Naas in April, at Maynooth and Athy in July, and at Naas and Kildare in October. The number of persons charged with criminal offences and committed to the two prisons, in 1835, was 101, and of civil bill committals, 22. 
The local government is vested in a lieutenant, 12 deputy-lieutenants, and 92 magistrates, with the usual county officers, including two coroners. There are 45 constabulary police stations, having in the whole a force of one stipendiary magistrate, 4 chief and 40 subordinate constables, and 205 men, with 6 horses the expense of whose maintenance is defrayed equally by Grand Jury presentments and by Government. The district lunatic asylum for the county is at Carlow, and the county infirmary at Kildare: there are fever hospitals at Celbridge, Naas, and Kilcullen, and dispensaries at Athy, Ballitore, Castledermot, Celbridge, Clane, Donadea, Johnstown-Bridge, Kilcock, Kilcullen, Maynooth, Monasterevan, Naas, Newbridge, Rathangan, and Robertstown; the infirmary and fever hospitals are supported by Grand Jury presentments, and the dispensaries by equal presentments and voluntary subscriptions. The amount of the Grand Jury presentments for 1835 was £19,554. 18. 9., of which £1221. 7. 10. was for the public roads of the county at large; £6051. 12. 5. for the public roads, being the baronial charge; £5206. 7. 8. for public establishments, officers’ salaries, buildings, &c.; £4713. 15. 10½. for police, and £2304. 14. 11½. in repayment of loans advanced by Government. In the military arrangements it is included in the eastern district, and contains three barrack stations, two for cavalry at Newbridge and Athy, and one for infantry at Naas.
The general surface is rather level. In the barony of West Ophaly are several gently rising hills, and others occur towards the eastern boundary of the county. The greatest elevation of the plain country is around Naas, both which baronies and their vicinity present an appearance of great fertility, which is also exhibited generally throughout the eastern and southern, and a portion of the western parts of the county; but towards the north and north-west are vast tracts of the Bog of Allen, comprising more than 50,000 acres, having a flat, dreary surface, relieved here and there by verdant elevations, here called “islands.” Near the southern extremity of this immense bog are the hills of Grange Allen, Cheelow, Dunmurry, Redhills, and Knocknagylogh, generally fertile, and cultivated to the summit. There are also small hills in the vicinity of Timoline and Moone; others stretching from Killan, by Kilrush, Davidstown, Calverstown, and Thomastown, and terminating in the hills of old Kilcullen and Ballysax; and other small and detached elevations near Arthurstown, Lyons, Longtown, &c. The Bog of Allen and the Curragh of Kildare are two distinguishing features of the county. 
Towards the west rises the Hill of Allen, a steep elevation of a conical form, about 300 feet in height. The Curragh is a fine undulating down, six miles long and two broad: it lies in a direction from north-east to south-west, having the town of Kildare near its western extremity, and crossed by the great road from Dublin to Limerick; and is, in fact, an extensive sheepwalk of above 6000 acres, forming a more beautiful lawn than the hand of art ever made. Nothing can exceed the extreme softness and elasticity of the turf, which is of a verdure that charms the eye, and is still further set off by the gentle inequality of the surface: the soil is a fine dry loam on a substratum of limestone. It is depastured by numerous large flocks turned on it by the occupiers of the adjacent farms, who alone have the right of pasture, which greatly enhances the value of these farms. This plain has long been celebrated as the principal race-ground in Ireland, and is equal, if not superior, to that of Newmarket, in all the requisites for this sport.
In general the county is fertile and well cultivated, particularly around Athy, and thence along the banks of the Barrow, extending to the borders of the county of Carlow. The districts around the towns of Kildare, Naas, Kill, and Clane are also fertile, well fenced, and tolerably well cultivated; but in wet seasons much water remains on the surface, showing the want of a good system of drainage, which is much neglected. Agriculture is systematically practised in some parts, particularly by the noblemen and resident gentlemen, and their example is beginning to produce its beneficial effects among the small farmers. Wheat is cultivated generally, and the quality is remarkably good; the barley is also bright and sound; the oats are good, clean and heavy, except in a few low, cold, and clayey situations; potatoes are extensively grown, and in great varieties of sorts, large quantities being sent to Dublin; turnips and mangelwurzel are cultivated by a great number of the wealthy farmers, clover and vetches by nearly all; and rape is grown extensively around Monastereven.
The Scotch plough is general, the old heavy wooden plough being rarely seen; indeed agricultural implements of all kinds are greatly improved, except the spade, which is still a long narrow tool. The heavy wooden wheel car has given place to one of much lighter construction, with low spoke-wheels, iron-bound, the kish, so general in the western counties, is scarcely ever seen here; some of the vehicles are made exactly after the plan of the Scotch cart, some of them with, and some without the high sides. Greater attention is manifested in collecting manure, and large composts are raised in the vicinity of bogs by the mixture of bog mould and stable manure or ashes. The burning of subsoil in kilns was introduced by the late Mr. Rawson, who compiled the statistical survey of Kildare for the Royal Dublin Society, and has now become general, producing the finest crops of potatoes and turnips. A kind of indurated sand found in banks, the adhesive property of which is so great that the bank, when cut perpendicularly, will never yield in any kind of weather, is considered by some agriculturists as a kind of golden mine for the farmer who can avail himself of the benefit of it. The cottagers in the neighbourhood of the Curragh collect the sheep dung, which they mix in tubs with water, stirring it until it forms a thick solution, which they call “mulch;” in this they steep the roots of their cabbage plants for some hours; a quantity of the substance consequently sticks to the roots, and ensures a full crop. In the smaller farms a very disadvantageous custom is prevalent of dividing the land into long narrow enclosures, which occasions an unnecessary and therefore injurious extent of fence in proportion to the land included. The fences generally are tolerably good, but they everywhere occupy too much ground; the usual kind is a bank of earth thrown up from a wide ditch, and covering five or six feet of surface, so that the bank and ditch seldom occupy less than nine feet in width: in the breast of this bank, about halfway up, a single row of quicksets is placed, sometimes accompanied by seedlings of forest timber.
In those parts which have not been subjected to tillage there are very rich fattening grounds; but where the soil has been much exhausted by the plough, the pasture is poor and light. The grasses in the meadows and feeding pastures are of the most valuable kinds; in low bottoms, especially in those subject to floods, Timothy grass is the principal herbage. Dairies of any extent are not frequent, except in the parts convenient to the Dublin market, where they are kept for the purpose of fattening calves. Great improvement has been made in the breed of cattle, the old long-horned Irish cow being now rarely seen; the most esteemed are the short-horned or Dutch breed, crossed with the Durham; some of the gentry and wealthy farmers have introduced the pure Durham breed, which commands large prices; others have the North Devon, which answers remarkably well. The small farmers mostly prefer the old Irish long-horned cow, crossed with the Durham; and in some districts scarce any other is seen: in the northern baronies, bordering on Meath, the large and heavy long-horned cattle are very common and grow to a size equal to those of Meath or Westmeath. Great numbers of cattle are brought from other counties, and fed here for the Dublin market. Great improvement has been made in the breed of sheep, and vast flocks are every year reared on the Curragh: the most prevailing breed is a cross between the New Leicester and the Ayrshire, but many of the principal agriculturists have the pure New Leicester; sometimes they are crossed with the Kerry sheep. The lower class of farmers have brood mares as part of their tillage stock, but they do not pay sufficient attention to the breed of the sires, and are too desirous of crossing with racers. Planting has been carried on for many years extensively and successfully. Many of the demesnes are ornamented with full-grown timber. The timber sallow thrives particularly well in the wet grounds with which the county abounds; beech and larch are also of very quick growth. In the demesne of Moore Abbey is one of the best-planted hills in Ireland; and the woods of Carton and Palmerstown are extensive, and the timber remarkably fine. In draining the bogs remains of ancient forests have been discovered.
The great mountain range of granite of which the county of Wicklow is nearly composed, terminates in this county at Castledermot. Thence by Ballitore, Kilcullen, and to the south-east of Naas, nearly as far as Rathcoole, is clay-slate; the rest of the county belongs to the great field of floetz limestone which covers the greater part of the flat country of Ireland, and which is here interrupted only by the chain of central hills.  The low group of hills west of Rathcoole, which includes Windmill Hill, Athgoe, Lyons, and Rusty Hill, is composed of clay-slate, grauwacke, grauwacke-slate, and granite. The grauwacke consists of small and finely rounded and angular grains of quartz, numerous minute scales of mica, small fragments of clay-slate, and sometimes portions of felspar. The rock at Windmill Hill ranges 10onorth of east and south of west, which is the general direction of these hills, exhibiting also at times an undulating curved slaty formation: the dip is towards the south-west, and generally at an angle of about 45o. The grauwacke-slate of Windmill Hill is remarkable for containing subordinate beds of granite, the uppermost at the depth of four fathoms; they are 50 or 60 yards apart, separated by the grauwacke-slate, and all dip from 45o to 50o to the south-east. Some of these granite beds may be traced westward to the turnpike road opposite to Rusty Hill: they consist of a small and finely grained intermixture of yellowish and greyish white felspar, greyish vitreous transparent quartz, and flakes or scales of mica, white and silvery, with some scattered portions of schorl: the grains are sometimes so minute that the stone appears almost compact. Sometimes also small particles and cubical crystals of iron pyrites are disseminated through the rock, which, when decomposing, communicate an iron-shot spotted appearance to the stone. The red sandstone conglomerate occurs in situ at the northern foot of the Hill of Lyons, where it is exposed for about 10 fathoms in length, in strata four feet thick, ranging east and west, dipping 30o to the north, and resting on grauwacke-slate; it re-appears in the central range. Red Hill, Dunmurry Hill, and the western foot of Grange Hill, consist of alternating beds of finely grained grauwacke, grauwacke-slate, and clay-slate, ranging 10o north of east and south of west, and dipping 60o towards the south-east, but in many places being nearly vertical. At the northern foot of Red Hill is a small patch of red sandstone conglomerate, which was quarried for mill-stone some years since. Enough of the firm rock is visible to show that the strata range east and west, and dip 17o west. The Chair of Kildare consists of floetz limestone, extending southwards to the northern foot of Dunmurry Hill, and covering the grauwacke and slaty rocks. To the north it rests on the trap of Grange Hill, which also covers the same kind of rock. 
The Hill of Allen is separated from Grange Hill by an intervening vale, their summits being about two miles apart: it is composed of one great body of granular and compact greenstone and greenstone porphyry, which appears all round the base, on the sides, and on the summit, in numerous protuberant rocky masses, without any mark of stratification. Some of the greenstone is remarkably crystalline, consisting of large masses of hornblende, with crystals of felspar. Whether this hill be a distinct mass or connected with Grange Hill is not easily ascertained, from the depth of the alluvial soil. About a quarter of a mile from the northern extremity of the Hill of Allen is a slight eminence called the Leap of Allen, composed of red sandstone conglomerate, arranged in beds which vary from 9 to 18 inches and even to 2½ feet thick, and are separated by thin layers of reddish sandy slate-clay. It contains the same components as the conglomerate already noticed, with the addition of fragments of grauwacke-slate, which are, however, comparatively rare: it is quarried for mill-stones. The beds range north-north-east and south-south-west, dipping south-south-east at an angle of from 15o to 20o, and therefore they probably underlie and support the trap of the Hill of Allen. Indications of copper having been observed in the Dunmurry hills, miners were employed to explore them in 1786, during whose operations detached masses of sulphuret of copper were found of nearly 40 per cent. purity, accompanied with a strong vitriolic water: the principal bed seemed to lie deep in the hill, and even to dip under the adjoining valley. Near the base of the hill was also found an alkaline argillaceous earth of a light grey colour, possessing many of the qualities of fullers’ earth. In the veins of the rocks, and in the matrix of the ore, were quantities of fine yellow ochre proper for painting. The surface of the Hill of Allen also presents indications of copper. The loose stones and the projecting points of rock appear as if vitrified by fire, and in many places impregnated with carbonate of copper.
Several attempts were made near the close of the last century to establish the cotton manufacture, and some large mills were built near Clane, Leixlip, and other places, but they all fell to decay. A very large mill for manufacturing cotton was, however, built a few years since at Inchyguire, near Ballytore, which is still in full operation; and a small woollen manufacture is carried on at Celbridge. These are the only manufactures of note which the county possesses, although the numerous falls on the rivers offer most advantageous sites for the erection of works, and there is a great facility for the transit of goods. Though all the small rivers abound with trout, and though the Barrow formerly gave a copious supply of salmon, yet there are no fisheries. The weirs thrown across this river for forming mill-dams have presented such impediments to the passage of the fish, that they are nearly banished from it.
The river Boyne has its source in the northern part of the county, as also has its tributary branch the Blackwater. The Barrow forms the greater part of the western boundary, being joined in its course by the Feagile, the Little Barrow, the Finnery, the Grees, and the Ler (or Lune), all from the east; the Liffey trenches deeply into the eastern part, receiving at Leixlip the Ryewater, which forms part of the northern boundary, and its tributary the Lyreen; it also receives the Morrel between Celbridge and Clane. The Grand Canal enters this county near Lyons, nine miles from Dublin, and quits it for the King’s county near the source of the Boyne, in the Bog of Allen. Near Sallins it is carried over the Liffey by an elegant aqueduct, whence a branch leads to the town of Naas, and thence is another branch to Harbourstown, in the direction of Kilcullen, which was intended to have been continued to Wexford. From Robertstown, just where the canal enters the Bog of Allen, a branch diverges, and passing through the Queen’s county falls into the Barrow at Athy, opening a communication with Carlow, New Ross, and Waterford. From this line a branch, called the Miltown Canal, leaves it near Robertstown, and proceeds in the direction of the Curragh; and at Monastereven, where the Athy line crosses the Barrow by a noble aqueduct, another branch leaves it for Portarlington and Mountmellick. The summit level is in this county, from which each branch is amply supplied with water in the driest seasons without the expense of a reservoir. The Royal Canal enters near Leixlip, seven miles from Dublin, and passes a little south of Maynooth and Kilcock to Nicholastown, near which it leaves this county and enters Meath: it re-enters it by an aqueduct over the Blackwater, and continues to the Boyne, over which it is conveyed by an aqueduct, and again enters Meath near Clonard.
Among the existing relics of antiquity are five ancient round towers, situated at Kildare, Taghadoe, Kilcullen, Oughterard, and Castledermot; the first is the most remarkable. Raths are numerous. Three miles south-east of Athy, that called the Moat of Ardscull stands prominent. A mile farther is the Hill of Carmon, which was the Naasteighan, or place where the assembly of the states of the southern part of Leinster was held: near it are sixteen smaller conical hills, supposed to be the seats on which the elders sat. Near the rath is a single pillar stone, called Gobhlan, about seven feet high, supposed to have been erected for the worship of Baal. Stones similar to that at Mullimast are to be seen at Kilgowan, Furnace, and Punch’s Town, all in the vicinity of Naas. At Harristown, near Kilcullen, is another of those taper upright stones, with a conical top; and about two miles from Jigginstown are two others, known by the name of the Long Stones. The rath of Knock-Caellagh, near Kilcullen, consists of a tumulus surrounded by a circular intrenchment, 20 feet wide and ten deep, with a rampart outside the trench. Cromwell is said to have encamped here on his way to the south. Others less remarkable, yet worthy of notice, are to be seen near Rheban, two miles north of Athy, at Kildare, at Naas, near Kilkea Castle, at Moon, at Clane, at Lyons (across which the boundary line of the counties of Kildare and Dublin passes), and at Rathsallagh, near Duncavan. On the Curragh are numerous earthworks, most of which appear to be sepulchral, forming a chain of fourteen small raths or circular intrenchments without ramparts, in a line of nearly three miles, extending east and west. A tradition has long prevailed of a stupendous heathen monument of huge stones existing here; but no vestige of it can now be discovered.
There were many celebrated and richly endowed monastic institutions in the county. At Athy was one for Crouched friars and another for Dominicans. Castledermot possessed a priory for Regular canons, a house of Crouched friars, and a Franciscan abbey, the ruins of which still serve to attest its former magnificence. The ruins of another Franciscan abbey are to be seen at Clane, where there was also a house of Regular canons. At Graney are the ruins of an Augustinian nunnery. A gateway and some other remains of a monastic building, said to have belonged to the Knights Templars, are still shown there. The ruins of Great Connell abbey are on the banks of the Liffey, near Newbridge. In Kildare was a nunnery and abbey united, founded by St. Brigid, and of which the ruins are still pointed out; also an abbey of Grey friars, situated south of the town, and a house of Carmelites or White friars. At Old Kilcullen is a monastery as old as the time of St. Patrick, which in 1115 was elevated to the dignity of an episcopal see, but it does not appear that it long retained that rank. Near the ruins of the old church are the remains of two crosses, one of which still retains some very curious specimens of ancient sculpture. Maynooth had a convent of Black nuns, and a college of priests founded by the Earl of Kildare; the abbey of Killossy has been converted into the parish church, and is remarkable for the singularity of the architecture of its steeple tower; the monastery of Kilrush was surrounded by a broad ditch faced with masonry ten feet high; the abbey of Monastereven has been converted into the residence of the Moore family, the representative of which is the Marquess of Drogheda. At Moone was a Franciscan friary, the brotherhood of which retained possession of it subsequently to the Reformation. Here is a fragment of a very old cross, one of the most curious in Ireland, covered with numerous grotesque figures. In Naas were three religious establishments, namely, a convent of Augustinians, another of Dominicans, and one for friars eremites of the order of St. Augustine. Some remains of the buildings of New Abbey, on the banks of the Liffey, are still to be seen; and of St. Wolstan’s, also on the Liffey, near Celbridge, two towers and two gateways yet exist. Timolin had a monastery of Regular canons, and also a nunnery; at Tully, a mile south of Kildare, was a commandery of the Knights Templars, the possessions of which are held in commendam with the bishoprick of Kildare; the abbeys of Clonagh, Cloncurry, Disert-Fulertagh, Glasnaoidhun, Grangenolvin, Kilbeggs, Knocknacrioth, Lexlip, and Tulachfobhair, are known only by name.
The remains of many castles are scattered through the county: the principal were Kilkea, Athy, Castledermot, Rheban, Kilberry, Woodstock, Timolin, Castle Carbery, Ballyteague, Clane, Rathcoffy, Donadea, Lackagh, Kildare, Leixlip, Corifig, Morrestown-Nenagh, Cloncurry, and Maynooth. The modern mansions of the nobility and gentry are noticed in the parishes in which they are respectively situated. The farm-houses in general consist of a long thatched building of one story, containing in the centre a large kitchen, with lodging-rooms at each end: the front door opens into a yard, here called a bawn, on the sides of which are the out-buildings. The cottiers’ cabins exhibit a mode of construction different from that of the more northern districts; the lower half being built of stone and clay mortar, and the upper of clay or sods, topped with a thick covering of straw thatch. Oatmeal, potatoes, herrings, and some milk and butter, constitute the food of the poorer class; their fuel is turf; their clothing principally home-made frieze. Even in the midst of summer a heavy frieze loose coat, called a “trusty,” is worn over the rest of the garments. The dress of the women is much better than it formerly was. The circumstances and appearance of the population located on the bogs, or their immediate vicinity, are very unfavourable. On each side of those parts of the canal that pass through the bog, the land is let in small lots to turf-cutters, who take up their residence on the spot, however dreary and uncomfortable. Their first care is to excavate a site for a habitation on the driest bank that can be selected, which is sunk so deep that little more than the roof is visible; this is covered with scanty thatch, or, more frequently, with turf pared from the bog, laid with the herbage upwards, which so perfectly assimilates with the aspect of the surrounding scenery that the eye would pass it over unnoticed, were it not undeceived by the appearance of children and domestic animals sallying from a hole in one side, and by the occasional gush of smoke from the numerous chinks in the roof. The English language is everywhere spoken. The customs of gossipred and fosterage are closely adhered to. Gossips will fight most pertinaciously for each other; in all conversations they call each other by the endearing name; and not to have gossips at baptism would cast a deep reflection on the parents.

Posted by mariocorrigan at 11:16 PM


Leinster Leader February 9th 1907. p. 5
In Kildare.
It is with pleasure that we learn that Mr. Maguire, of Curragh View, is improving in health daily. The result of the accident was, of course, serious, and Mr. Maguire was in an unconscious state for the greater portion of a week, but now that the “turn for the better” has arrived, his friends will hope for a sign of his usual good health in a few weeks.
(P 5.)
In Kildare.
We are pleased to learn that Mr. R. E. M. Bailey, of Doneany, Kildare, is recovering from the very serious illness which attacked him some few weeks ago.
Mr. Kennedy, victualler, Kildare, has opened the premises lately held by Mr. McHugh in The Square, and the place having been thoroughly renovated it is now an up-to-date establishment for the business intended
Leinster Leader February 16th 1907. p. 3
For the year 1907.
KILDARE- Friday, 5th April, 1907-Civil Bills and Ejectments, at 10.30 o’ clock.
Appeals from Petty Sessions and Licensing Applications, Applications for Compensation for Criminal Injuries, and Lance Cases, at 12 o’ clock.
Saturday, 6th April, 1907-Civil Jury Cases.
KILDARE-Monday 30th September, 1907-Civil Bills and Ejectments, at 10.30 o’ clock. Appeals from Petty Sessions, Annual Licensing Sessions, Applications for Compensation for Criminal Injuries and Land Sessions, at 12 o’ clock.
 (P. 5.)
Kildare Petty Sessions.
(From our Reporter)
The above fortnightly Petty Sessions were held on Thursday, before Major Thackeray, R.M. presiding and Mr. E. Conlan.
Head Constable Brown charge Simon Dunne with on the 2nd February being drunk, using obscene language and with advising some soldiers to resist arrest while they were being taken away by the military provost. The Head Constable described the scene in which he alleged the defendant was constantly shouting to the soldiers who were under arrest not to go with the military provost. In consequence of the conduct of defendant a very large crowd assembled, and he and Constable O’ Brien had to keep them back.
Defendant said he had not been with the soldiers on that evening at all.
Acting Sergeant Grennan deposed that he saw defendant with them a short time before.
Constable O’ Brien described the scene and the difficulty met with by the Head Constable and himself as well as the provost in arresting the offenders. Defendant was the cause of all the trouble and when the military police were making the arrest he shouted, “Don’t go with the b---- provost,” and then some of the soldiers shouted not to go. They had to bring the soldiers to the civil barracks, and the crowd having increased he and the head Constable had to come between them and keep off the crowd.
Sergeant Thos. Gill, mounted military police, deposed that on the occasion in question the military provost went to arrest some soldiers who were obstructing the thoroughfare and using obscene language. The defendant told the men not to go with the provost. One of the soldiers then took off his belt and defendant tried to get him away from them. The crowd was so riotous that the Head Constable and Constable O’ Brien had to assist the provost. The military police could have got away the men quite comfortably but for the conduct of the defendant.
Defendant was fined 10s. 6d. and costs, with the alternative of 14 days.
Two important football matches took place at Kilcullen on Sunday last. The first was a replay between Kildare and Athgarvan; great interest was taken in this match it being their second meeting. On the first occasion Kildare proved victorious scoring 2 goals and 5 points to 1 goal and 1 point for Athgarvan. The play on Sunday last resulted in a win for Athgarvan by 1 point; the scoring being 1 goal and 3 points for Athgarvan to 5 points for Kildare.
The semi-final for the above is fixed for Sunday next, 17th inst., at Monasterevan, between Kildare and Monasterevan. The ball will be set in motion at 2 p.m. Mr. Joyce Conlon will referee. Admission Free.
P. 4
Great Cheap Sale
In consequence of making extensive alterations I am offering a large and varied Stock of General
At greatly Reduced Prices, including
Irish Manufactured Tweed, Serges, Blankets, Flannells, &c., &c.
Youths’ and Mens’ Ready made Suits in Great Variety.
Winsanley’s Celebrated Boots and Shoes,
500 Pairs to select from
Draper, Grocer, Seed and Manure Merchant.
Some relevant notes regarding Kildare Town from February 1907
[compiled by Mario Corrigan; typed and edited by Breid Kelly]

Posted by mariocorrigan at 10:24 PM