librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Slaters Directory - Naas

NAAS,
Kilcullen, Newbridge, And Neighbourhoods.

NAAS, an incorporated, market and assize town and parish (formerly a parliamentary borough), is in the barony of North Naas, county of Kildare, 18 miles S.W. from Dublin; situated at the junction of the Cork and Limerick main roads, and about a mile and a half from the river Liffey. This place was anciently the residence of the kings of Leinster, and the name signifies the “Place of Elders,” for here the states of that province assembled during the sixth, seventh, and eight centuries, and the ruins of various religious edifices still exist, as evidence of the importance once enjoyed by Naas. The town consists principally of one good street, which is chiefly inhabited by respectable traders. The business of the place is mainly of a general retail character. There are two principal inns, the Royal Hotel, at the southern extremity of the town, and the Commercial, at the northern—both establishments of the first respectability. A branch of the Grand canal, which comes up to the town, opens a ready communication with the metropolis; and the Great Southern and Western Railway comes within about two miles of the place. The municipal affairs of Naas are regulated by Town Commissioners, and the magistrates who sit in petty sessions every Monday. Quarter sessions are held for the district in January, April, June, and October, and the general assizes are held in March and July. The public buildings are, the town hall (with market in the rear), and court house, both very handsome modern stone buildings, facing the main street, a goal, situated at the south-western end of the town; a constabulary barrack, and a fine military barrack, situated on the Limerick road. There is one dispensary and a well regulated union workhouse.

The spacious ruins of JIGGINSTOWN formerly called Sigginstown, may be seen on the Limerick road, less than a mile from Naas. This princely mansion was commenced by the celebrated Earl of Strafford, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, in the reign of Charles I. It was, however, never completed, but left almost in its present unfinished state, when he was summoned before the English Parliament, and afterwards beheaded. The groined and vaulted cellars are singularly and beautifully constructed. These ruins are well worthy of a visit.

The places of worship are the Protestant Episcopal church, a neat stone building, the living is a vicarage. Some years ago the chancel was remodelled, and a very handsome stained glass window in memory of the late vicar was erected in 1860. The Roman Catholic church is a very handsome structure, surmounted by a lofty spire. The Presbyterian church (opened in 1865) is another handsome structure of smaller dimensions, in the Gothic style. A convent of the sisters of Mercy, established here, is a valuable foundation, and the pious and exemplary members are actively engaged in the instruction of poor children, and administering consolation and relief to the indigent sick. In the cemetery of the Protestant church stands St. David’s Castle, now the residence of the vicar, and near to it is the diocesan school, instituted in the reign of Elizabeth, but at present closed. The other public schools are the parochial and National, both of which appear to be efficiently conducted. The markets are held on Monday and Thursday; and the fairs on the.5th January, 16th February, 17th March, 15th April, 6th May, 1st and 19th June, 11th July, 10th August, 18th and 19th September, 20th October, 22nd November, and 14th of December. Population, in 1861, of the parish, 4,883, and in 1871, 3,855, of which number the town contained 3,593.

NEWBRIDGE is a post town rising into considerable importance, in the parishes of GREAT CONNELL and MORRISTOWN-BILLER, barony of Connell, county of Kildare, 6 miles S.W. by W. from Naas, and 2 miles from the Curragh Camp; situated on the river Liffey, and on the mail road from Dublin to Limerick, and is also a station on the Great Southern and Western railway. It contains Protestant Episcopal and Roman Catholic churches and two convents. It is governed by a local board of commissioners under the “Town Improvement Act.” The public buildings are the town hail (in which petty sessions are held fortnightly), constabulary barracks, and also a commodious military barrack, which contains a very neat Protestant church. The town is well lighted with gas. The fairs are held on the 1st of January, 1st February, 8th March, 5th April, 2nd May, 3rd June, 5th July, 15th August, 6th September, 1st October, 1st November, and 7th December. The population of the town in 1861 was 3,118, and in 1871, 3,179.

KILCULLEN, or Kilcullen Bridge, is a market town, partly in the parish of CARNALWAY, barony of South Naas, but chiefly in the parish and barony of Kilcullen, county of Kildare, 27 miles S.S.W. from Dublin, 11½ N.E. by N. from Athy, 7 E. from Kildare, and, 7 s. by W. from Naas; situated on the main road between the cities of Dublin and Cork, and on the banks of the Liffey. The river is crossed by a good stone bridge of six arches, whence there is a fine view of the mansion of William Henry Carter, Esq., and of the remains of New Abbey, erected by Sir Rowland Eustace, in 1460, for Franciscan friars. Old Kilcullen, now but a sorry hamlet, was formerly a walled town, and conferred the title of baron on Thomas FitzEustace, afterwards Viscount Baltinglass. The ruins, which crown a hill within about a mile of the south bank of the Liffey, consist of part of an old monastery, an ancient round tower, and many curious sculptured stones. The places of worship in connection with the town are the Protestant Episcopal churches of

YELLOWBOG and CARNALWAY, situated about a mile and a half in opposite directions from the town, two plain buildings, and a Roman Catholic church. The only charitable institution is a dispensary. The market is held on Saturday, and the fairs on February 2nd, March 25th, June 11th, September 8th and 29th, October 2nd, and December 8th. Population in 1861, 965, and in 1871, 933.

Naas & Neighbourhoods
Postal Services

POST OFFICE, NAAS, Mary Atkinson, Post Mistress.—Letters arrive from the South at twenty minutes past four morning and at half-past five evening, and from Dublin and England at ten morning and nine evening; and are dispatched to the South at thirty minutes past eight morning and eight evening, and to Dublin and England at three morning and at twenty minutes past four afternoon.
Rural Messengers are dispatched from this office to Rathmore, Kilmeague, Robertstown, Prosperous, Clare, Sallins, and Ballymore-Eustace at half-past five morning, and return at half-past seven evening.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.

Post Office, Newbridge, Thomas Farrell, Post Master.—Letters arrive from the South at seven morning and five evening, and from Dublin and England at ten morning and nine evening, and are dispatched to the South at twelve midnight and eight evening, and to Dublin and England at five minutes past three morning and four afternoon.
A Mail Car leaves this office for Athgarvan, Kilcullen, Brannixtown, and Dunlavan at ten minutes before eleven morning, and returns at twenty minutes before four afternoon.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.

Post Office, Palmerstown, Martha Wills, Post Mistress.—Letters arrive from Dublin and all parts at fifteen minutes past eleven morning and ten evening, and are dispatched at forty minutes past seven morning and six evening.
The nearest Money Order Office is at Naas.

Post Office, Kilcullen, Nicholas Bardon, Post Master.—Letters arrive from Dublin and all parts at thirty minutes past eleven morning and at forty-five minutes past eleven night, and are dispatched at three afternoon and at half-past eight night.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.

OMNIBUS.

To CURRAGH CAMP, from Newbridge station, seven times daily-Patrick Farrell, proprietor.

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,
ON THE GREAT SOUTHERN AND WESTERN LINE.

Station at Sallins, two miles distant-George Berry, station master
Conveyance to Sallins station by Cars
Station, Newbridge-Martin Tighe, station master
The nearest station to Kilcullen is at NEWBRIDGE, on the Great Southern & Western line, about six English miles distant

CARRIER

TO DUBLIN from Kilcullen-Joseph Crone, Monday & Thursday