librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Slaters Directory - Maynooth

MAYNOOTH AND KILCOCK

MAYNOOTH is a small market town, in the parish of LARAGHBRYAN, barony of North Salt, county of Kildare, 15 miles W. from Dublin, and 14 N. by E. from Naas, situated on the northern bank of the Royal canal, and it is a station on the Midland Great Western railway. It is celebrated for its college, founded in 1795, by the Irish Parliament, and towards the support of which the Duke of Leinster gave a house and 54 acres of land, on a lease of lives renewable forever, at the annual rent of £72. The college was opened in October, 1795, for the reception of fifty students; the number soon increased to two hundred, and having received considerable additions it is now capable of accommodating five hundred students. The college was principally supported by parliamentary grants, which, for the first twenty-one years, averaged about £8,000 per annum, and subsequently £9,000. This being deemed adequate for the comfortable support of its professors, teachers, and free scholars, Government, in June 1845, increased this grant to £26,000. There are besides several donations and bequests, the total amount of which is about £32,000, besides also the fee simple estates of the late Lord Dunboyne, in the county of Meath, which return to the college about £460 per annum. By the Act of 8 and Vic. c. 25, the college was placed on a new footing and permanently endowed for the maintenance and education of five hundred students, and of twenty senior scholars on the Dunboyne foundation; the Act also vested in the Commissioners of Public Works the sum of £30,000 for erecting the buildings necessary for the enlarged number of students. This noble establishment, designated the Royal College of Saint Patrick, is under the superintendence of eight visitors and a board of sixteen trustees, a president, vice-president, dean, junior deans, and a bursar. The students wear gowns and caps, as well without as within college. The building forms three sides of a quadrangle, comprising various lecture rooms, a refectory, a library, and a chapel, with apartments for the president, the master, and professors, and has been greatly enlarged within the last few years. Near the college are the ruins of an ancient castle, formerly the residence of the noble family of Leinster, which was destroyed by the forces under Cromwell. The town consists of one long street, at the extremity of which is the entrance leading to Carton Hall, the magnificent seat of the Duke of Leinster. The mansion, situated about a mile from the town, is a spacious and magnificent structure, consisting of a centre, with a handsome portico. The park is very extensive, and delightfully laid out; in one part of it is a stately pillar, and in another a tower, from which is a fine view is obtained of the surrounding country, which is very beautiful, and in a high state of cultivation. The Protestant Episcopal church is an ancient structure, supposed to have been built by Gerald, Earl of Kildare, as an appendage to a college founded in 1516. The church was thoroughly repaired and modernized in 1774, by the then Duke of Leinster; the massive square tower of the ancient church still retains its original character. The Roman Catholic church is a handsome and spacious building, of modern style. In a fine National school, erected by the munificence of the Duke of Leinster, a considerable number of children are educated, and others, of the female sex, are instructed by the lady members of the Presentation Convent. The charter, or patent for holding the market, is still in force, but it is not made available. Fairs are held May 4 th , September 19 th for cattle, sheep, pigs, & c. Population of the parish of Laraghbryan in 1861, 2,628, and in 1871, 2,468, and of Maynooth town, 1,414 of that number.

KILCOCK is a small town, or village, and parish, in the barony of Ikeathy, same county as Maynooth, about 4 miles w. by N. from that town, pleasantly situated on the banks of the Royal Canal, by which passage boats go to and from Dublin several times in the day; it is also a station on the same line of railway as Maynooth, and to these circumstances, and its otherwise thoroughfare situation its little trade depends, for it has no manufactures of any kind, a brewery being the principal business establishment. The place suffered much in the Rebellion of 1798; part of it was destroyed, and the residence of Colonel Aylmer was burnt to the ground. A Roman Catholic church, built in 1867, is a handsome structure, with a square tower, and the Protestant Episcopal church is a fine and imposing edifice, with a lofty spire. There are schools conducted by the Christian Brothers. Fairs are held every month except January. Population of the parish in 1861, 1,388, and in 1871, 1,219, and the town 764 of that number.

MAYNOOTH & KILCOCK POSTAL SERVICES

POST OFFICE, MAYNOOTH, John A. Deane, Post Master . – Letters arrive from Dublin at a quarter to ten morning and a quarter-past eight evening, and are despatched at forty minutes past four morning and ten minutes to four afternoon.

Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Banks.

Post Office, KILCOCK, John Sloan, Post Master .- Letters arrive from Dublin at ten morning, and at twenty minutes to eight evening, and are despatched at four morning and four afternoon.

Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Banks.

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY,

ON THE MIDLAND GREAT WESTERN LINE.

Station, MAYNOOTH-Lawrence Caulfield, station master

Station, KILCOCK-Thomas Kenny, station master