librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Slaters Directory - Edenderry

EDENDERRY,

WITH BALLINA, CARBURY, CASTLE JORDAN, CLONBULLOGUE, CLONKEEN, AND RHODE.

EDENDERRY is a neat market town, in the parish of MONASTERBORIS, barony of Coolestown, King's county, 37 miles W. from Dublin, 11 E. by N. from Philipstown, 8 S. by W. from Clonard, and 7½ N. from Rathangan; situated near the ruver Boyne, at the north-eastern extremity of the county, and on a branch of the Grand canal, which has been brought to the town. This useful work was accomplished by the liberality of the grandfather of the present Marquis of Downshire. The town presents a very pleasing aspect to the stranger, there being none of those unsightly thatched cabins so common in most country towns, they having given place to neat stone-built and slate-roofed houses. The woollen trade, which formerly flourished in this place, has now disappeared, and corn may be considered the staple article of commerce. The Town Hall, situate in the market square, is a very handsome and commodious building; it contains a court room for petty sessions, which are held every alternate Wednesday, an assembly room, and a museum if rare Celtic antiquities, the collection being the property of Thomas R. Murray, Esq. J.P. of this town.

The Protestant Episcopal church is a picturesque stone building, with a tower and bell, situate on rising ground, commanding a view of the river and of the surrounding country. Within the church is a stone tablet to the memory of Lady Sarah Blundell, who died in the year 1701. This stone was discovered in the ruins of the old church of Monasteroris, distant about a mile and a half, and was removed hither in 1814 by Mary Marchioness of Downshire. A statue to the memory of the grandfather of the present Marquis of Downshire, was erected at a considerable expense by subscriptions from the tenantry upon the Edenderry estate. The figure occupies a conspicuous positioning the approach to the church; one to the memory of the late Marquis has also recently been erected. Besides the Protestant church, the Roman Catholics possess a handsome one, and the Society of Friends and Methodists have their respective places of worship. The charitable institutions are, eight almshouses for poor widows, the gifts of the Marquis of Downshire; a union poor-house, a parochial school, supported chiefly by the above nobleman, and a National school. In the space around the church, now used as the public cemetery, a silver mine was twice attempted to be worked. The market is held on Saturday, and fairs on Shrove Tuesday, the Thursday nest after Whit-Sunday, and November 4 th . The population in 1861 was 2,038, and in 1871, 1,873.

BALLINA is a hamlet in the parish of CADAMSTOWN, barony of Carbury, county of Kildare, about 4 miles N.E. from Edenderry. It is also a Roman Catholic parish, in the united diocese of Kildare and Leighlin, and there is a chapel here belonging to that denomination. Population in 1861, 81, and in 1871, 75.

CARBURY, or Castle Carbury , is a parish containing a village of the same name, in the barony of Carbury, county of Kildare. The village is about 3¼ miles E. by N. from Edenderry, and derives its name from a castle which crowns and elevated site in the vicinity, and which is now but a ruin. Protestants and Roman Catholics have each a place of worship. Population of the parish in 1861, 483, and in 1871, 440.

CASTLE JORDAN is a parish, partly in the baronies of Coolestown and Warrenstown, King's county, about 4 miles N.W. from Edenderry. There are Protestant Episcopal and Roman Catholic churches here, also a National school. Population of the parish in 1861, 2,661, and in 1871, 2,208.

CLONBULLOGUE is a village, in the parish of CLONSAST, and barony of Coolestown, about 5 miles S. by W. from Edenderry. There is a Roman Catholic church in the village. Population of the village in 1861, 110, and in 1871, 79.

RHODE, or Roade , is a hamlet, in the parish of Ballyburly, barony of Warrenstown, King's county, and is situated about 5 miles W. of Edenderry. The places of worship are the Protestant Episcopal and a Roman Catholic church, and there is a school under the National Board in the village. Population in 1861, 17, and

in 1871, 22.

EDENDERRY & NEIGHBOURHOOD

POSTAL SERVICES

POST OFFICE, EDENDERRY, Edmund Pelin , Post Master. - Letters arrive from Dublin and all parts at seven morning, and at one afternoon, and are despatched thereto at forty-five minutes past three afternoon, and at ten minutes past six evening.

Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Banks.

Post Office, CARBURY, Richard McCann, Post Master . – Letters arrive from Dublin and all parts at five minutes past six morning, and at twenty-five past twelve noon, and are despatched thereto at four afternoon, and at ten minutes before seven evening.

The nearest Money Order Office is at Edenderry, three miles distant.

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.

Station , EDENDERRY-Thomas Reilly, station master

Station , CARBURY-James Marr, station master

CONVEYANCE BY WATER.

By the Grand Canal Company (for carrying goods only)-Henry Williams, agent