librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Slaters Directory - Blessington

BLESSINGTON,
BALLYMORE, DUNLAVIN, KILBRIDE, AND NEIGHBOURHOODS.

BLESSINGTON is a small market town and parish, in the barony of Lower Talbotstown, county of Wicklow, 17 miles s.w. from Dublin, 28 n.w. from Wicklow, 7½ s.e. from Naas, and 8 n.e. from Kilcullen, situated near the banks of the Liffey, which romantically winds through some very beautiful scenery, while the neighbourhood is much frequented by sportsmen in quest of the fine game it produces. Blessington was formerly a parliamentary borough, and the residence of Archbishop Boyle, and to this munificent prelate the place is indebted for the chief consequence it enjoys. He erected the church and tower, a neat stone building, and furnished it with a good peal of bells, and a service of plate. Within the walls is a marble monument erected to his memory. The ruins of his residence, which was burnt by the insurgents in 1798, are still to be seen. The estates are now in the possession of the Marquis of Downshire. The late Marquis, who contributed so much to the improvement of the town, met with a sudden death in its vicinity in the spring of 1845, falling with his agent. The only charitable institutions at present in existence are a Sunday school and a dispensary. The male and female schools, formerly supported by the Marquis of Downshire, are now placed under the National Board of Education, the vicar being the patron. The places of worship are a neat Protestant church and a commodious one for the Roman Catholics. Population in 1861, 460, and in 1871, 407.

BALLYMORE, or Ballymore-Eustace, is a small town and parish, formerly in the barony of Upper-cross, county Dublin, but now in that of Naas south, county Kildare. It is about five miles s.w. from Blessington, upon the Liffey. There are Protestant Episcopal and Roman Catholic churches in the town. Population of the parish in 1861, 1,999, and in 1871, 1,784; and of the town, 719.

KILBRIDE is a parish and village in the barony of Lower Talbotstown, county Wicklow, and is situated about three miles N.E. from Blessington. There are places of worship for Protestants and Roman Catholics; there is also the National school. Population of the parish in 1861, 780, and in 1871, 687.

DUNLAVIN, or Dunlavin, is a small market and post town in the parish of its name, and barony of Lower Talbotstown. It is about ten miles S.W. from Blessington. The Protestant Episcopal church is the only place of worship. Population of the parish in 1861, 1,401, and in 1871, 1,306; and the town, 651 of that number.

BLESSINGTON & NEIGHBOURHOODS
POSTAL SERVICES

POST OFFICE, BLESSINGTON, John Boothman, Post Master.- Letters from all parts arrive at fifteen minutes past eleven morning and forty-five minutes past six evening, and are despatched thereto at forty-five minutes past seven morning and a quarter to three afternoon.
Money Order and Telegraph Office and Savings Bank.

CAR & CARAVAN.

To DUBLIN, a Mail Car, every morning at quarter to eight, and afternoon at quarter to three
To TULLOW, a Caravan passes through Baltinglass every morning

CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY.

The nearest Station is SALLINS, on the Great Southern & Western line, eight miles distant.