librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
PAINSTWON

PAINSTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of KILKEA and MOONE, county of KILDARE, but chiefly in the barony and county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 1 ¾ mile (N.) from Carlow, on the road to Dublin and Athy, and on the river Barrow; containing 177 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2232 statute acres, under a highly improved system of agriculture; there is no bog. The Barrow navigation affords great facility for the transmission of goods to Waterford and Dublin. Oak Park, the seat of Col. Bruen, is more particularly noticed in the article on the town of Carlow. The living is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Leighlin, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter of Leighlin. The tithes amount to £89. 0. 0 ½., of which £59. 6. 8. is payable to the dean and chapter, and £29. 13. 4 ½.to the impropriate curate. Divine service is performed in a private house licensed for the purpose. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Carlow. Here is a school, supported by Col. Bruen. There are ruins of a church and a burial-ground, on the townland of Painstown; and the ruins of a church at Duganstown.

Return to Towns & Villages