librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
LACKAGH

LACKAGH, a parish, partly in a detached part of the KING'S county, but chiefly in the barony of WEST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2 ¾ miles (W.) from Kildare, on the road to Monastereven, and on the Grand Canal; containing 1450 inhabitants. It comprises 6431 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, united to the vicarage of Doneny, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £258. 9. 2 ½ ., and the value of the benefice is £302. 1. 10 ½ . The glebe-house was erected by aid of a loan of £350 and a gift of £450 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1816; the glebe of the union comprises 18a. 2r. 16p. The church was rebuilt by aid of a grant from the same Board, about 1835. There are two private schools, in which about 80 children are educated. There are some remains of a castle that formerly belonged to the Fitzgeralds; and of Mount Rice, a large mansion erected by the Rice family.

Return to Towns & Villages