librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
KILRUSH

KILRUSH, a parish, in the barony of WEST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. W.) from Kilcullen, on the road to Athy; containing 704 inhabitants. An abbey for Augustinian Canons was founded here at the commencement of the thirteenth century by William le Mareschal, Earl of Pembroke, which subsisted till the Reformation. In 1642, the Earl of Ormonde, returning from the relief of the royal fortresses in Kildare, was opposed on the high grounds of Kilrush and Bullhill, by Lord Mountgarrett and other Roman Catholic leaders, whom he entirely defeated on a neighbouring eminence since called Battlemount. This victory was considered so important that the English House of Commons voted him £500 for the purchase of a jewel, and petitioned the King to create him a Knight of the Garter. The parish comprises 4219 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £2554 per annum. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, forming part of the union of Ballysonan. The tithes amount to £221. 10. 9 ¼. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Sancroft.

Return to Towns & Villages