librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
KILRENNY

KILRENNY, a parish, in the barony of CARBERY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Kinnegad, on the road from Edenderry to Clonard; containing 608 inhabitants. The land is good and almost equally divided between an improving system of tillage and pasture: there is but little bog, and no waste land. Kilglass is the residence of J. Shaw, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Loftus family of Killyon. The tithes amount to £45, of which £30 is payable to the impropriator and £15 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Ballyna, or Johnstown.

Return to Towns & Villages