librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
HORTLAND, or BALLYSCULLOGE, also called SCULLOGESTOWN

HORTLAND, or BALLYSCULLOGE, also called SCULLOGESTOWN, a parish, in the barony of IKEATHY and OUGHTERANY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (S.W. by W.) from Kilcock, on the road from Naas to Enfield; containing 539 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by the bog of Allen, and contains Hortland, the seat of Sir Josiah W. Hort, Bart.; and Knockanally, of W. Coates, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, forming part of the union of Kilcock; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Cloncurry. The tithes amount to £58.18.11. In the R.C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Kilcock.

Return to Towns & Villages