librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
GILTOWN

GILTOWN, a parish, in the barony of SOUTH NAAS, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Kilcullen; containing 981 inhabitants. This parish is situated on a small mountain stream, and comprises 4335 statute acres, of which about 120 are woodland, 70 roads, and the remainder good arable and pasture land, the former noted for the growth of wheat; the system of agriculture is improved. Fuel is very scarce, turf being drawn from a distance of 7 or 8 miles. Giltown House is the residence of the Rev. J. Borrowes. It is a curacy, in the diocese of Dublin, forming part of the perpetual curacy of Kilcullen; the rectory is impropriate in Cramer Roberts, Esq. The tithes amount to £69. 4. 7½., there is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. About 18 children are taught in a private school. There are some ruins of the old church, and in the demesne of Giltown is a Danish rath.

Return to Towns & Villages