librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
CONNELL (OLD)

CONNELL (OLD), a parish, in the barony of CONNELL, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Naas; containing 958 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, comprises 2900 acres, as applotted under the tithe act, which are chiefly under tillage. The improved system of agriculture has been introduced, and the practice of drilling generally adopted; fuel is plentifully supplied from an extensive bog in the immediate neighbourhood. Morristown-Lattin, the ancient family seat of Patrick Lattin, Esq., the translator of Voltaire's Henriade into English verse, whose family has been settled here since the reign of John, is situated in a very retired demesne, ornamented with a profusion of stately timber, chiefly fine oak, ash, elm, and beech of uncommon size.

Old Connell House is the seat of E. J. Odlum, Esq.; within the demesne is a fine Danish rath. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, forming part of the union of Morristown-Biller; the tithes amount to £140. The church was built by a gift of £900 and a loan of £300 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1828. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Newbridge: the chapel is at Two-mile-house. There is also a small neat chapel, with a spire, belonging to a Dominican friary on the bank of the Liffey, in which only three brethren reside. There are two hedge schools, in which are about 60 boys and 30 girls. In the gardens of Old Connell House are some ruins of the ancient church.

Return to Towns & Villages