librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
BRIDECHURCH

BRIDECHURCH, a parish, in the barony of CLANE, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 1½ mile (N. W. by N.) from Naas; containing 376 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the east by the river Liffey, over which the Grand Canal is carried by the Leinster aqueduct, a handsome building of five arches, with a parapet ornamented with balustrades of stone, erected in 1783. It comprises 2143 statute acres of good land, of which a considerable portion is woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture. The land being chiefly in the occupation of gentlemen, is in an excellent state of cultivation: there is neither waste land nor bog; but the Grand Canal passing through it, affords every facility for the supply of fuel, and for the conveyance of goods. Landerstown is the handsome seat of the Rev. J. Digby. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Kildare, and is part of the union of Caragh: the tithes amount to £92.2. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Caragh and Downings. There are some ruins of the ancient church.

Return to Towns & Villages