librarys Banner
Kildare Collections
and Research Services
Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text


Local Studies Department

Lewis's Topographical Dictionary 1837

Towns & Villages
BALLYSAX

BALLYSAX, a parish, partly in the barony of WEST OPHALY, but chiefly in that of EAST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Kilcullen-Bridge; containing 996 inhabitants. This parish is situated within a mile of the great southern road from Dublin to Cork, and comprises 4995 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £2817 per annum. The greater portion is under tillage, and the remainder, with the exception of a large tract of bog and waste, is meadow and pasture; the soil is fertile, and the system of agriculture improved. Adjoining the parish is the celebrated race-course called the Curragh; and within its limits is Ballysax House, the elegant seat of G. O'Kelly, Esq. On the Curragh are also Cobourg Lodge, the residence of J. Maher, Esq.; Brownstone House, of G. Knox, Esq.; Ballyfair House, occupied during the races by His Excellency the Lord-Lieutenant; Lark Lodge, of W. Disney, Esq.; Maddenstown House, of W. Kelly, Esq.; Turf Lodge, of R. Hunter, Esq.; Jockey Hall, of G.Watts, Esq.; Athgarvon Lodge, of the Hon. F. Ponsonby ; and Maddenstown, of Terence Kelly, Esq. A fair is held at the French Furze on July 26th. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and in the patronage of the Crown : the tithes amount to £186. The church, a neat edifice, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, was erected by aid of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1826; and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £249 for its repair. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe comprising 19a. 2r. In the R.C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Sancroft. A school is supported by local subscription, aided by an endowment bequeathed by the late Rev. William Tew; and there is also a school in connection with the National Board. In these about 60 boys and 40 girls are instructed; and there is a pay school, in which are 20 boys and 20 girls. The Rev. W. Tew also bequeathed £50 in the 3½ per cent. for the benefit of the poor.

Return to Towns & Villages