« August 2013 | Main

September 18, 2013

LOCKOUT 1913. THE EFFECT OF THE GREAT LOCKOUT ON CO. KILDARE

Lockout  1913.
The effect of the great lockout on Co. Kildare

James Durney


At 9.40 a.m. on Tuesday 26 August 1913, the lifeblood of Dublin’s transport system – the trams – stopped running. Striking conductors and drivers, members of the Irish Transport and General Workers’ Union (ITGWU), abandoned their vehicles. They had refused a demand from their employer, William Martin Murphy, of the Dublin United Transport Company (DUTC), to foreswear union membership or face dismissal. The company then locked them out. Within a month, union leader Jim Larkin, had called out over 20,000 workers across the city in sympathetic action. This titanic struggle was played out in a city with the worst slums and the greatest poverty of any capital in northern Europe. The struggle involved 100,000 men, women and children, or roughly, a third of the city’s population. While mainly concentrated in Dublin city its effects would spread to the north Kildare towns of Leixlip, Maynooth and Celbridge and touch on many other parts of Co. Kildare.
Dublin in the year 1913 was a divided city and presented a picture of extraordinary contrasts. The gracious 18th century capital, once regarded as the second city of the British Empire, had descended, for the ordinary working family, into a crumbling, hungry and seemingly endless round of toil and want. Against this misfortune was an opulent and largely isolated middle class, secure with servants and a certainty that the new electric trams, motor cars and latest inventions from industrial England would only sweeten an already secure existence.
The Government inquiry into Dublin housing conditions, held in November 1913, revealed that in the city 5,322 tenement houses accommodated 25,822 families, or a total population of 87,305. No fewer than 20,108 families occupied one room each, 4,402 of the remainder had two rooms each. The recent census showed a population of 304,802, so that more than a fourteenth of the entire inhabitants of Dublin were living in dwellings unfit for human habitation. The census of 1911 had also revealed that 45,149 persons, or about one-seventh of the city’s inhabitants, belonged to the unskilled labour class who had to rely on the poorest paid and most casual employment.
Since the famine Ireland was pouring out emigrants to America, Britain and beyond, but those who were too poor to pay their fare out of the country drifted to Dublin. For the two decades prior to 1911 the city population increased by 20,648 persons, including many hundreds of Co. Kildare migrants. Dublin had once possessed thriving industries and commerce but restrictions were imposed on Irish manufacture and trade in the interests of English competitors. Once a thriving metropolis, Dublin was now an open festering sore. The death rate in Ireland’s capital was 27.6 per 1,000 – the highest in any city in Europe, the next highest being that of Moscow, at 26.3 per 1,000. In Calcutta, in the presence of plague and cholera, the rate was only 27 per 1,000. An earlier report on Dublin’s infant mortality revealed that professional and independent classes suffered to the extent of .9 per 1,000; the middle class, 2.7; the artisans and petty shopkeepers, 4.8; while for hawkers, porters, labourers, etc., the death rate was no less than 27.7.
The influx into Dublin of a huge volume of rural labour depressed wages and added to the tragedy of the slums. The average wage at the time for an adult male worker was 18 shillings a week, though 15s and 16s were often paid. Some employers were able to pay men as little as 14s for a 90-hour week, while women received 11s. One-fifth of this was spent on the rent of a miserable room. The workers of Dublin had fought for years for better working conditions and pay, resulting in a Shops Bill passed in 1910, which limited working hours to sixty per week – five and a half days. In the late 1900s Liverpool-born Jim Larkin, tall, impatient and dynamic, sprang upon the city, organizing the workers into trade unions. He had formed a new union – the Irish Transport and General Workers’ Union – representing those engaged in the distributive trades in December 1908. The formation of the new union drew antagonism from the Dublin employers, but the workers, men and women, claimed the right of self-determination and objected to employers choosing whether they should join a union or not. William Martin Murphy, the strong-willed owner of the Dublin Tramway Company, said that he had no objection to the workers forming a ‘legitimate union,’ but he would not tolerate men joining a ‘disreputable union’ led by an ‘unscrupulous man’. On 21 August about 100 workers in the Tramways Company received the following notice:


As the Directors understand that you are a member of the Irish Transport and General Workers Union whose methods are disorganizing the trade and business of the city, they do not further require your service.


This was a direct challenge to the existence of the ITGWU. The first six months of 1913 were punctuated with strikes by men demanding higher wages. There was unrest in the silk and poplin manufacturing trade, the building trade and with the printers and the craft unions. Foremost, in the struggle for better pay and conditions for the general workers, was Jim Larkin and the ITGWU. Despite Dublin pay rates being way behind British wages, the claims of the ITGWU, representing the tram workers, were quite modest. The workers were looking for: a one-two shilling rise for conductors; two shilling rise for drivers; the working day to be capped at nine hours, or seven hours on Sunday; every man should receive his eighth day off, instead of the twelfth day; and finally, a week’s paid holiday a year. In his monumental work Lockout Dublin 1913 Pádraig Yeates noted: ‘These were hardly revolutionary demands.’
On the same day that the tramcar workers walked out, the flour-milling firm of Shackleton and Sons, in Lucan, Co. Dublin, told employees it had become aware that many of them had joined the ITGWU. This was a family-run firm, whose roots were in Ballitore, Co. Kildare.  The Anna Liffey Mill was managed by three brothers – William Edmundson, known as ‘Willy,’ John and George Shackleton. (George Shackleton, of Ballitore, had taken the opportunity to set up improved mills and new milling establishments to be nearer to Dublin’s major port facilities, and to access foreign grain and markets. He acquired the Lyons Mill at the 13th Lock on the Grand Canal and the Grange Mill at the 12th Lock in the 1850s and entered into possession of the Anna Liffey Mill in 1860. The Ballitore Mill was closed in 1875.) Willy, the eldest, was something of a political eccentric. He had served on the Sinn Féin executive from 1907 to 1909, though he was attracted by its protectionist policies rather than the radical social policies that other members espoused. Shackletons now told their employees they must choose between their jobs and ‘Larkin’s union’. The men refused to foreswear the ITGWU and by the evening the mill was closed and pickets placed. William Martin Murphy wrote a letter to George Shackleton in reference to the housing and feeding of the mill staff and the fear of molestation of workers when leaving work and passing the pickets. On 28 August an official statement by the firm was issued, which stated:


It having come to the knowledge of the firm that some of our men had joined Larkin’s Union the men were informed that they could only retain their employment by ceasing to be members of Larkin’s Union. The men, having elected to remain members of Larkin’s Union, are now on strike. The mills are stopped for the present, but arrangements have been made to supply customers orders as usual.


Over the next couple of days George Shackleton received letters of support and sympathy from several quarters. Messrs. Shackleton had been unwilling to fill up the places of the strikers, and notified them that Saturday 31 August, was the latest date up to which they would be taken back if they complied with the company’s conditions. When the strikers did not return new employees began carrying out their work. The incidents at Shackletons suggest that some members of the Dublin Employers’ Federation needed little prompting to accept William Martin Murphy’s strategy of locking out workers. Murphy had been involved in an earlier successful lockout at the Great Southern and Western Railway, in 1911, and since had secured the support of other large employers for a citywide lockout of ITGWU members. The Irish Times praised the example set by the DUTC and Shackleton’s mill saying that if other employers followed suit ‘the strike would soon be at an end in Dublin’.
Strikers resented the workers who continued to operate the trams, and fights often took place between them. In fact, only a small number of tramway workers walked out: about 700 of the 1,700 in the company. The Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP) protected the trams, and workers who were not on strike, and also escorted ‘scab’ labourers, many of whom were brought in from Britain. For their ‘service’ in protecting the trams William Martin Murphy gave the police the privilege of free rides on the trams, a privilege they enjoyed until 1938. The majority of members of the DMP were before enlistment either farmers or farm labourers – the bulk of recruits being from Co. Wicklow (1,166), Co. Kildare (1,133) and Co. Dublin (1,100).
On 28 August the police arrested Jim Larkin and four other leading trade unionists. Over the next two days many clashes took place and fierce baton charges resulted in numerous injuries. This reached its peak on Saturday night, 30 August, when, after a particularly brutal police charge, in the city centre, one man, James Nolan, a transport union member, was fatally injured. Another transport union member, John Byrne, died a few days later from head wounds received from a police truncheon. When Larkin was released on bail he called for a mass meeting in Sackville Street on Sunday, 31 August, which was promptly banned. However, Larkin vowed to address the meeting ‘dead or alive.’ An evening and night of rioting followed with the police launching forays into some of the poorer parts of Dublin, leaving 200 civilians and thirty police injured.
Many people began to gather in Sackville Street on Sunday and at midday Larkin appeared at a balcony window in the Imperial Hotel – owned by William Martin Murphy – and spoke to the crowd briefly. Uproar broke out on the street below and police savagely attacked the crowd in heavy baton charges. Somewhere between 400 and 600 civilians were injured in Sackville Street in the course of a few minutes. Only forty people were arrested, among them Jim Larkin. The event was quickly dubbed ‘Bloody Sunday,’ and led to further rioting in the city. The violence of the police aroused general indignation and led to the formation of the Irish Citizen’s Army by Captain J. R. ‘Jack’ White, Jim Larkin, and James Connolly.
The Citizen’s Army attracted recruits from the Dublin workers, and from trade unionists and socialists. Among them was George Geoghegan, who was born in the Curragh in 1881. He lived in Cork Street, Dublin, and was employed at Inchicore Railway Works. Geoghegan was a member of the Gaelic League, a trade unionist and bandsman with the Citizen’s Army St. James’s Band. He was killed in action at City Hall, during the Easter Rising, on 26 April 1916. Aged thirty-two he left a widow and three children. James ‘Jim’ O’Neill, of Leixlip, was also prominent in the Citizen’s Army. He was Quartermaster of munitions in the GPO, during Easter 1916, and was interned in Frongoch Camp, Wales. Jim O’Neill was appointed OC Citizen’s Army after the death of James Connolly, a position he retained throughout the War of Independence. He died in South Africa, in 1952. The several hundred members of the Citizen’s Army drilled with broomsticks and hurleys in Croydon Park, Marino, the grounds belonging to the Union. Over the long autumn of 1913 the Citizen’s Army marched alongside their comrades, guarding their demonstrations against attack from police. They also indulged in street battles with police and dispensed rough justice to strike-breakers.
On the morning of 1 September three workers in Jacob’s, one of Dublin’s largest employers, were dismissed for refusing to handle flour from Shackleton’s, the Lucan milling firm in dispute with the ITGWU. That same day Jacob’s locked out nearly a thousand employees at its biscuit factory in Bishop Street. Though the workers had been unionized since 1911, a notice had been put up on Saturday prohibiting the wearing of the ITGWUs Red Hand badge. When hundreds of women workers failed to report for work on Monday morning, and some of those who did refused to remove their union badge, the company declared a lockout. Later the Dublin United Transport Company locked out 250 engineering workers at its Inchicore works, after the bodymakers refused to repair trams damaged in the weekend riots.
At Wookey’s linen mills in Leixlip, thirty-six men walked out after the owner, Frederick W. Wookey, told them to resign from the ITGWU. There had been no dispute: Wookey had simply bumped into an employee in the village on Sunday and noticed that he was wearing a Red Hand badge of the ITGWU in his lapel. The man worked for thirty years at the mills and said he wore the badge only on his days off. Wookey told him that he would not tolerate him or any of his workers wearing the badge or being members of the Union and to consider himself dismissed if he continued to remain in the union. The following Monday morning (1 September) Union members of the mill turned up wearing their badges. On seeing them Wookey called on them to remove their badges or get off his premises. The thirty-six men involved walked out. Wookey told twelve women employees, who were not in any union, that he had no work for them until they could persuade the men to abandon their membership of the Union.
Frederick W. Wookey, of Weston Lodge, Leixlip, was a formidable sixty-one year old justice of the peace and waterflock manufacturer. He lived in a thirteen-roomed house, Weston Lodge, with his wife, Fanny, and their seven children, all of whom were born in Leixlip. His father, Francis Wookey, had managed the mills from as early as 1877. The flock mill, positioned on the south bank of the Liffey, alongside the famous Salmon Leap, was Leixlip’s largest employer, with a staff of around fifty. The mill cut up old clothes and turned them into stuffing for mattresses, padding, etc. It also made mattresses, exporting them from Dublin port. According to local historian John Colgan in Leixlip, County Kildare, Vol. I:


Mill employees worked from 6am to 6pm each Monday to Friday, with a half-hour break for breakfast and three quarters of an hour for lunch. They were summoned to work by a hooter going at 5.40am. They also worked Saturdays from 6am until 2pm. Boys and girls aged 14 to 16 years were paid 3 to 5 shillings per week; women, 4 to 7 shillings per week and men (who were carters, packers, etc.) 12 to 16 shillings per week.


Both Wookeys and Shackleton’s goods were ‘blacked’ in the sympathy strikes which were a feature of Larkin’s campaign. One of the Shackleton’s drove a steam wagon to the Dublin docks to collect grain and had no Quaker compunctions about bringing a loaded gun with him, which, it was remarked, he fortunately did not use. In the middle of September two employees of Daniel Buckley, general trader, Main Street, Maynooth, refused to handle a wagon load of flour which had arrived at the railway station from Shackleton’s mill at Lucan. After receiving twenty-four hours notice to consider their action, the men, who did not belong to any union, were dismissed. They were not replaced and their duties were performed by Mr. Buckley and his shop assistants. On 15 September Buckley wrote a letter to ‘Mr. Shackleton re unloading of Shackleton goods in Maynooth’. Daniel Buckley was a founding member of the GAA, Gaelic League and the Irish Volunteers in Maynooth. In 1906 he changed his name to the Gaelic version, Domhnall Ua Buachalla, and was fined for having his name in Irish above his shop and on his handcart, which at the time was illegal. His views on the strike were not recorded. Ua Buachalla led his company of Irish Volunteers to fight in Dublin during Easter Week 1916 and was elected in 1918 as a Sinn Féin T.D. for North Kildare.
The poet and author, Emily Lawless (1845-1913), who was also a strong unionist, was a friend of the Dublin strikers. She resided at Lyons House, near Ardclough, and asked her father, Lord Cloncurry, for a cow to provide milk for locked-out workers. Lord Cloncurry promised Emily that she could have her cow if she drove the animal to Dublin herself. He thought this would put her off, but he did not know of the generous substance of which his daughter was made. With a pair of stout walking shoes and a stouter heart Emily Lawless drove her cow right up to Liberty Hall to provide milk for the workers and their children.
As early as 30 August the Kildare Observer had reported that in addition to the tram strike attempts were being made to get men employed at harvest operations in the counties of Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow to go out on strike. The conservative Observer said, ‘Foolish people who are endowed with little foresight will, of course, respond to the call, but any workingman who takes thought with himself will be slow to follow their example. Everyone ought by this time to know how futile those badly organized strikes are, that no benefit can possibly arise from them and that their only purpose is to bring grist to the mill of organizers and ruin and misery to unfortunate dupes and their families.’  There was very little unrest in the countryside, however, but on 21 October, when a threshing machine belonging to Mr. J. N. Wardell, Stacumney, Celbridge, was about to start working at the farm of Mrs. O’Connor, at Newcastle, the casual labourers engaged for the occasion refused to work in response to a call out from a representative of the Irish Transport Union. It was stated that the men’s action was due to the fact that the men in charge of the machine were non-union men. The machine was removed to the premises of Mr. Tracey at Roosk, where the threshing operations were carried out two days later with the aid of neighbouring farmers who turned out to assist.
The Observer also reported that Frederick Wookey had intimated to a number of his late employees that unless they gave him an undertaking to return to work he would be reluctantly compelled to take on other staff. However, up to that time Wookey had not given any official notice to those on strike.
On 11 and 13 September George Shackleton received letters from David Cook, Glasgow, in reference to supplying men during the strike and for wages for men employed during the strike. On 22 October Willy Shackleton announced that he was resuming normal business at the Anna Liffey Mill with ‘new staff’. This provoked nightly processions in the village, culminating in a riot when police cleared the streets with batons. On the night of 23 October the striking workers of Shackleton’s held a meeting and demonstration in Lucan. The procession was headed by the Lucan Fife and Drum Band, and at 10.15 p.m. halted outside the residence of Willy Shackleton, which was attached to the mill. There was a large force of police present, but they didn’t interfere with the crowd as no incident of a riotous or unlawful nature came to their notice. Willy Shackleton – a courageous man – stood in the doorway of his residence, a .45 revolver in his hand. The band struck up some airs. Several in the assembly threw stones at the windows in the residence and mill and succeeded in breaking many panes of glass within range, but because of the commingled music and shouts from the crowd the noise of breaking glass was drowned out.
On the following morning the police were shocked by the report of the window-breaking and were determined that no further band performance or like demonstration would be allowed to take place.  Fifty extra police were in duty in the town, on the following night when another procession marched to Lucan accompanied by the Leixlip Fife and Drum Band. The Leixlip band, it was stated, was unaware of the events of the previous night. The demonstrators arrived in the village about 9.00 p.m. As they passed the RIC Barracks they were joined by Head Constable Phillips and a force of twenty-five constables. At the Liffey bridge the police went in front of the procession and Head Constable Phillips informed them that they would not be allowed to proceed further in that direction.
Altercations followed, and after a few minutes those on the outskirts of the crowd proceeded to throw stones and any ‘such materials as around, the workman’s hand had readiest found’.  Head-Constable Phillips immediately ordered the police to draw batons and charge. The crowd withstood the rush unflinchingly, and a wild, confused conflict took place in which ten policemen and a dozen civilians were injured. In the course of the conflict the big drum was taken possession of by Sergeant Lyons, who gave vent to his feelings of exultation by putting his foot through it. The kettle drums were also kicked around the road by the police and rendered practically useless. Three men – Thomas Mills, J. Mulready and P. Lowry – were so seriously injured they required medical attention. They were attended by Dr. Daniel Hampson, who stitched the wounds inflicted by the police batons. A number of men, including J. Cullen, Philip Daly, and Peter Dunne, received minor injuries. Of the police Sergeant Lyons, received the most serious injuries.
According to the 1911 Census Thomas Mills was forty-six and a labourer in a wool factory. He lived in Lucan. J. Mulready was possibly James Mulready (16) of Leixlip, then a scholar, but two years later probably a worker. P. Lowry was possibly Patrick Lowery (29) of Lucan. The census recorded that he was a ‘cripple unable to work’, but his father was employed as a domestic labourer, his brother an agricultural labourer, and three sisters employed respectively, as a wool weaver, a factory darner and a factory weaver. Dr. Daniel Hampson (27) was a medical practitioner in Lucan, and a native of Co. Kildare. There were two Cullen families in Lucan and both had a James Cullen with siblings employed as labourers and warpers in one family and as woolen factory workers in the other. Philip Daley (43) was a flax miller, from Westmanstown, Lucan; Peter Dunne (30), an agricultural labourer from Tobermaclugg, Lucan. John Shackleton later received a threatening letter from an anonymous writer.
In October a large strike rally was held in Croydon Park, and James O’Neill led the Lucan and Leixlip contingents who marched to Dublin. They had formed another band and every man was armed with a serviceable stick. Lucan is over six miles from Croydon Park and the local police – heavily-built, middle-aged men – who marched with them found the journey hot and tiring. At the gates of the Union grounds the police were refused admission, but the Lucan and Leixlip men had rest and refreshments. Later in the evening they came out and marched with the rest of the Citizen Army men to Beresford Place. The Lucan police, who had waited outside, fell in with them again. Arriving at Liberty Hall the Lucan and Leixlip men left the main body and began their homeward trek. They had got as far as O’Connell Bridge when the Lucan police sergeant approached Jim O’Neill. “Listen,” he said, “you’re not going to make your men march back to Lucan, are you? My men can’t stand it. I’m willing to pay their tram fares home!”
British troops had been drafted in to escort essentials like coal to military barracks, hospitals, prisons and government offices in Dublin. On October 1913 the Irish Times reported that fifty floats belonging to Messrs. Wallace Brothers were loaded at the Ringsend depot by troops and under an armed escort escorted through Westland Row, Brunswick Street, D’Olier Street and the quays to Kingsbridge where fifty tons of coal was railed to the Curragh Camp. Cavalry, carrying carbines, preceded the consignment and it was followed by a contingent of armed infantry. Pedestrian and tram traffic was completely suspended while the carts were passing, but the work was carried out without any interference on the part of those on strike.
By this time the strike had also spread to Dublin port and the Leinster Leader of 25 October 1913 reported that an order from Philadelphia for drawing-room carpets from The Kildare Carpet Company factory at, Mill Lane, Naas, were held up at the North Wall Depot. The carpets arrived at the Great Southern and Western goods railway station at the North Wall and were loaded on a vehicle and taken the short distance to the Burns Line of steamers on the quays. From there the carpets would go to Glasgow, the port from which Irish made goods were shipped to Philadelphia. The men in charge of the vehicle carrying the carpets were what was known as ‘free’ hands and when they arrived at their destination they were stopped. They were told the carpets were ‘tainted’ on account of their being handled by the carriers’ non-union employees and if they were accepted for shipping a general downing of tools would follow. Under these circumstances the carpets had to be brought back to the Great Southern and Western goods railway station where another route was found and the goods shipped to Britain and then the US.
Despite the setbacks support for the lock continued to be evident as the Leinster Leader of 29 November described in a report ‘Cheers for Larkin. Scene in Naas.’


On Tuesday evening last at six o’clock, as a number of girls were coming from the Naas Carpet Factory, they raised lusty cheers for Larkin as they emerged from Corban’s Lane and crossed the Main Street. The occurrence, needless to say, created a bit of a sensation, and gave some people the impression that there was a strike on, but their conjecture, however, had no real foundation. As the girls ran wildly through New Row in the direction of their homes, they continued to cheer, and their cheers were answered by residents who appeared at their doors, by counter cries of “Down with Larkin,” whereat the girls indulged in vociferous shouts of “Up with Larkin.” The incident ended with the arrival of the girls at their respective homes, and no further Larkinite demonstration took place.


The lockout continued to effect deliveries of material to and from the Naas carpet factory – and also to other manufacturing firms –  which was already in serious financial trouble. A letter to the editor of the Kildare Observer, from one of the directors of the Kildare Carpet Company, Lady Geraldine Mayo, of Palmerstown House, was received on December 9th 1913:

Dear Sir,- May I trespass on your space and inform those friends who so kindly helped by giving me money and goods to start the Hostel for girl workers at the Carpet Factory that I have closed it. Owing to the general unrest and the difficulties that must ensue to all industries in Ireland, the directors of the Carpet Factory have decided that at present they cannot employ a greater number of hands than are available from Naas. I trust that times may improve, and that the Hostel may be re-opened under better circumstances in the future.

This signaled the end of Lady Mayo’s involvement and the Kildare Carpet Company, Ltd. soon after became the Irish Lace Depot, with registered offices in Dublin. The premises may have been idle for a while after 1913, and was bought by the Maguire family in 1922.

On 6 December the Kildare Observer reported that: ‘A number of men and women residing in Celbridge, who are employed in Mr. Wookey’s woolen mill, Leixlip, are during the continuation of the strike, being escorted to and from their work by the Celbridge and Leixlip police.’

In Britain, also beget by labour strife, Dublin was looked upon as a beacon of light by militant workers who held mass rallies, made collections, and sent food ships so the strikers could keep up the fight. But with the failure of the British Trade Unions to come out in sympathetic strike, the cause of the Dublin workers was doomed. By January 1914 the unions had lost the battle, lacking the resources for a long campaign. Supplies of money and food from Britain dwindled away. The unions had come close to winning, but when the Shipping Federation agreed to throw its weight behind the coal importers and other cross-channel operators the writing was on the wall. On the morning of 12 January 1914 nearly a thousand men, most of them dockers, reported for work. It was heralded as the end of the dispute. Six days later the leaders of the ITGWU met secretly. They advised their members to return to work, if they could do so without signing the hated employers’ document. Many were able to do this, but some employers still refused to take back workers who did not sign the document.
Two days later, the Builders Labourers Union – about 3,000 men – surrendered to the employers and signed the documents promising never to join the ITGWU. This was the turning point and the strike was seen as over. Other workers slowly drifted back to work on the employers’ terms. The Irish Times reported on 9 February 1914:


During the week the eighteen hands who struck work in the Leixlip Woolen Mills returned to work. It appears that at the commencement of the Dublin labour troubles Mr. Wookey, proprietor of the mills, intimated to his workers that he would not see his way to keep them in his employment if they continued to be members of the Irish Transport and General Workers’ Union. Eighteen men immediately struck work, but a number of others remained loyal, and the mill was kept running. The men who were reinstated during the week have renounced the Irish Transport Workers’ Union. There are a number of men still out who are anxious to return, but Mr. Wookey can find no employment for them at present.

The labour movement lost the battle, but in the long run, it won the war: the lockout meant that there was no going back to the horrors of pre-1913 Dublin. The great lockout which had been called forth by William Martin Murphy to crush the ITGWU, had failed. The employers had not won a total victory. Despite the return to work the ITGWU would go from strength to strength. Workers who had promised never to join the ITGWU slowly began to drift back into the union, and within a short time the ITGWU was the largest union in the city.
The real winners were the poor of Dublin. The social conditions which were the first cause of the trouble would no longer be tolerated. The sacrifices of the thousands of poor Dublin families during the lockout slowly began to pay off, as more attention was paid to improving housing, health and sanitary conditions in the city. The situation did not improve overnight, but took time. No longer could the wealthy classes ignore the poverty of their own city. The time for change had come.
An American historian, J. D. Clarkson, later wrote: ‘In the deepest sense, “Larkinism” had triumphed. The Dublin struggle had fired the hearts and minds of the working classes throughout the length and breadth of Ireland … Most significant of all, the most helpless classes had learned the lesson of its power and in the learning had proved itself worthy of Ireland’s bravest traditions.’

Postscript:
The lockout was more a clash of personalities and ideals. The self made millionaire, William Martin Murphy, was calculating and relentless in pursuing the destruction of the union, while the charismatic union leader, Jim Larkin, was arrogant, egotistical and reckless. The lockout was unnecessary, but inevitable given these two headstrong personalities. But the two principle figures never again reached the same degree of public influence. Murphy died in Dublin, in 1919, aged seventy-three. He had spent his last years in semi-retirement. Larkin left Ireland for a tour of America in 1914 and did not return until 1923. He returned to a changed Ireland, one he was not happy with. Larkin fell out with his old colleagues in the ITGWU and founded a new union, the Workers Union of Ireland (WUI). He remained dissatisfied with his country, and died in 1947, a disappointed man.
The Wookey family was beset by tragedy. Second Lt. Frederick Maurice Wookey died of wounds received at St. Eloi, France, on 15 March 1915. He was twenty-seven years of age.
Frederick Wookey died on 16 July 1918, aged sixty-eight, and was buried in St. Mary’s Churchyard, Leixlip. His widow, Fanny, sold Weston Lodge and prepared to move to England, where she had relatives. On 10 October 1918 Fanny boarded the R.M.S. Leinster, the Kingstown (now Dún Laoghaire)-Holyhead mailboat. Just four miles (6 km) outside Dublin Bay the Leinster was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine. Over 500 people perished in the sinking, among them Fanny Wookey.

Note: Co. Kildare Federation of Local History Groups will hold their annual AGM and Seminar in Kilcullen Heritage Center on Saturday 12 October 2013 at which author and historian Padraig Yeates will deliver a lecture on the Dublin Lockout. All welcome.

On the 100th anniversary of the 1913 Dublin Lockout we publish an essay by James Durney on its effects in Co. Kildare

IRISH CASUALTIES IN THE KOREAN WAR 1950-53

Irish casualties in the Korean War 1950-53

August-December 1953 is the 60th anniversary of the repatriation of prisoners-of-war held by the United Nations and the Communists in Korea. During the Korean War 1950-53 the Communists held nearly 5,000 American and 1,000 British Commonwealth prisoners. A project is underway to try and identify Irish-born prisoners in both the US and British armed forces.

If you have any information, photos, etc., on Irish POWS or those killed or injured in the conflict could you please contact James Durney re james.durney@yahoo.ie

During the Korean War 1950-53 the Communists held nearly 5,000 American and 1,000 British Commonwealth prisoners, several hundred of whom were Irish.

FOUNDATION OF THE CO. KILDARE BRANCH OF THE ASSOCIATION OF SPINA BFIDA AND HYDROCEPHALUS

Foundation of the Co. Kildare branch of the Irish Association of Spina Bfida and Hydrocephalus

November 27 1983 is the 30th anniversary of the Foundation of the Co. Kildare branch of the Irish Association of Spina Bfida and Hydrocephalus. A report of the first meeting in the Keaden Hotel is in the Leinster Leader of 17 December 1983.

November 27 1983 is the 30th anniversary of the Foundation of the Co. Kildare branch of the Irish Association of Spina Bfida and Hydrocephalus.

KILDARE'S COUNTY TOWN SCORES IN CROKE PARK BUT NOT A BALL KICKED

Kildare’s county town scores in Croke Park and not a ball kicked


Kildare has this month again written its name into the illustrious story of Croke Park … and all without a ball being kicked. On Friday last a party from the county town’s GAA club made a presentation to the archive and museum at GAA Headquarters which will be a first-class resource for students of the history of Gaelic organisation. The Naas GAA Club through the good offices of club historian Liam McManus handed over a minute book recording the earliest months of the Naas club for two years from its foundation in October 1887.
The story of the GAA countrywide in its early days is a fluid one with many clubs forming in the mid 1880s only to evaporate just as quickly. There was constant turmoil in the officer boards of clubs and the preservation of minutes and records was haphazard. Thus the Naas GAA minute book represents one of the very few documentary insights into the story of club formation in the Association in the mid 1880s. 
And while the minute books were welcomed with open arms by Croke Park archivist Mark Reynolds the best news of all is that the information in the minute books is not lost to Naas but is available to be viewed by all with access to the internet.
In a labour of love spanning several years Liam McManus transcribed the minutes into a typescript form where they could be scanned by computer.
In a gesture of great generosity the Naas GAA club has uploaded the full set of minutes on to club’s popular website. This means that while the original minute book might fascinate researchers at GAA headquarters their content is now available to local people and historians near and far. 
Records are like oxygen to the local historian but in bygone times were often held in archives and libraries with restricted access and limited opening hours. By putting such records on the web the information is available for study by researchers at all times and in any part of the world. Would that many other clubs and firms would follow the example of Naas GAA club and make their records available in such a democratic manner.
And there is plenty to intrigue and entertain in the Naas club minutes. Happily this newspaper can claim a role in the nurturing of the embryonic club as its first secretary was J M Ginnane, a staff member of the Leinster Leader Ltd., who killed two birds with one stone by discharging his minute-taking functions in the form of a printed report in the paper.  He then pasted the relevant cuttings into the minute book so that for a few weeks in autumn 1887 the minutes of the club comprise cuttings from the local paper.
Ginnane did not remain in the position for very long and soon was succeeded by one P J Doyle who lived in South Main Street, Naas – later moving to Yeomanstown, Caragh – who from November 1887 began to write the first manuscript minutes into the book.  Although completed in 1889 the first book was passed through various caring hands until it arrived into Liam McManus’s home in the late 1980s shortly after he had completed his seminal book “To Spooner’s lane and beyond” which charted the history of the Naas club through the early 20th century and up to the 1980s.
Returning to the early minute books the accounts of the meetings make for dramatic reading with politics – internal or external – often eclipsing the business of playing games. And the Naas club – in its earliest days titled the John Dillon branch, GAA, Naas, was not shy about its political connections. Its earliest fundraising activity was to invite John Redmond, who was one of the leading Irish MPs in Westminister to give a lecture in Naas Town Hall in December 1887 on the patriotic subject of “Hugh O’Neill” – one of the last Irish chieftains. And even at that the object of such a high  profile fund raising was not – as might have been expected – to raise funds for equipping a football team but rather to collect money to set up a brass band which would entertain at matches in Naas and further afield.  The night was clearly a success with a clipping pasted into the minutes from the Leader recording that “A splendid gathering of the manhood of Naas assembled in the Naas Town Hall on Monday evening …..”  No mention of the womanhood of Naas in those pre-suffragette times but in later years the Gaelic women of the county town would make their mark on the club’s fortunes.
John Redmond’s visit to Naas in December 1887 was reciprocated by the Naas club the following year when the minutes record that club members passed a motion “That we the members of the John Dillon (Naas) Branch, GAA, protest against the scandalous imprisonment of Mr John Redmond MP and offer to him in his prison cell the expression of our sincere sympathy with him in adding the sacrifice of his liberty to the many services he has rendered to the cause of Ireland.”
This highly charged motion is just a snippet from the treasury of human interest recorded in the Naas GAA minute book which now takes pride of place in Croke Park’s archives but whose contents have been given a permanent presence accessible to all on the world wide web.

Postscript: Just to show that some things never change the following is a quote from a letter written by a soldier in the Curragh in 1914: “A friend of mine sold a bad hunter to a sausageman the other day and got a better price for it as meat than he would have as a hunter. The man told him that horses weigh so much more than beef and are better value in that way!” Acknowledgement to reader Eamonn T. Gardiner for this digestive gem with a modern echo. no: 319.

 

Looking Back Series no. 319: Naas GAA Club handed over a minute book recording the earliest months of the Naas club for two years from its foundation in October 1887.

September 13, 2013

DEATH OF MRS. CATHERINE DOBBS

THE LEINSTER LEADER

1 October 1910.

DEATH OF MRS. CATHERINE DOBBS

OLD RESIDENT PASSES AWAY

On Sunday morning last there past away in the death of Mrs. Catherine Dobbs, one of Naas' oldest inhabitants. The deceased lady was born in Naas in 1821, and but for a few years, spent her long life in her native town. The funeral took place on Tuesday, after service in St. David's Church, to Maudlins Cemetery. The Rev. E. W. Clover (rector) officiated. The chief mourners were ― Messrs. W. J. Gray, E. I. Gray, F. M. Gray, A. C. Gray, E. B. Gray, and J. T. Gough (grand-nephews); Mr. W. S. Gray (great grand-nephew); Mr. Ernest Murphy.

An article from the Leinster Leader of 1 October 1910 on the death of Mrs. Catherine Dobbs, one of the oldest inhabitants of Naas.

THE ERNIE O'MALLEY SYMPOSIUM

CALL FOR PAPERS

The Ernie O’Malley Symposium
on Modern Ireland and Revolution, 25-26 April 2014

New York University’s Glucksman Ireland House invites 250-word proposals for 20-minute papers on social, cultural, and political revolution in modern Ireland and its intersections with the life and times of Ernie O’Malley. The inaugural Ernie O’Malley Symposium on 25-26 April 2014 will address topics as wide ranging as Irish republican intellectual history, feminism & guerilla war, postcolonial approaches to Irish literature, history, and culture, the visual arts, music history, the history of the Irish War of Independence and Civil War, Irish autobiography, queer historiography, folklore, oral history and others.

Confirmed Plenary speakers:

Luke Gibbons (NUI Maynooth)
R.F. Foster (Oxford University)
David Lloyd (UC Davis)
Clair Wills (London University)
Nicholas Allen (University of Georgia)

While the keynotes will all speak on O’Malley directly, the symposium is open to, and seeks to raise, a broad range of questions in the fields of Irish cultural, political, aesthetic, and historical studies. Among them are:

• What is the relation of Irish republican political action to republican intellectual traditions?

• What voices in the revolutionary tradition have been dropped from the official histories? How do we recover them? And what do they have to tell us today?

• What is the relation of fiction to Irish autobiography / memoir? Where do the two overlap and where part ways?

• What contributions to visual art, music, and literature did revolutionaries make to Ireland’s culture after the founding of the Irish Free State?


• What continuities exist between pre- and post- revolutionary Irish cultural expression? What characterizes the discontinuities?

• How do literary and artistic renderings of the Irish War of Independence and Civil War differ from those of the 1916 Easter Rising and other revolutionary moments?

• How does Ernie O’Malley’s work compare with that of the canonical modern Irish authors like Joyce, Yeats, O’Casey, etc.? How does it compare with the non-canonical?

• How has oral history been thought, re-thought, and practiced in the post-revolutionary state and beyond?

• How do we define the relationship between revolution and exile? Cultural production and emigration? National belonging and migrancy?

• In what ways have advances in Irish archival access and research fundamentally changed the way we relate to modern Irish history.

• What does Irish revolutionary thinking and cultural production of the past have to offer us today? What lessons, and what examples?

Complete 3-4 member panel proposals of 500 words will be considered as well as individual paper proposals. Partial funding of up to $300 will be provided for graduate students whose papers are accepted. It is recommended that proposed papers address Ernie O’Malley’s work directly, but it is not required.

For more information about the symposium, contact:

Spurgeon Thompson
Áras Glucksman na hÉireann Ollscoil Nua Eabhrac
Glucksman Ireland House
New York University
One Washington Mews
New York, NY 10003 U.S.A.
swt1@nyu.edu

Send 250-word individual proposals or 500-word panel proposals plus a 100-word biographical note via email by January 20, 2014 to:

Spurgeon Thompson at swt1@nyu.edu & Greg Londe at greg.londe@nyu.edu

New York University’s Glucksman Ireland House invites 250-word proposals for 20-minute papers on social, cultural, and political revolution in modern Ireland and its intersections with the life and times of Ernie O’Malley.

MAYNOOTH COMMUNITY LIBRARY - THE 1913 LOCKOUT

Maynooth Community Library ‘The 1913 Lockout.’

A presentation by Mario Corrigan
Thursday 19th: 8:00 pm

 

Plans also to commemorate the opening of Maynooth Community Library - 30th anniversary celebrations, running from 2nd-6th December.

If you have any stories, memories photographs maybe you could drop them to the library - maynoothlib@kildarecoco.ie

Maynooth Community Library ‘The 1913 Lockout’ A presentation by Mario Corrigan, Thursday 19th: 8:00 pm

THE GERALDINES AND MEDIEVAL IRELAND. THE MAKING OF A MYTH

The Geraldines and Medieval Ireland
The Making of a Myth


Marking the 500th anniversary of the death of the 'Great Earl' of Kildare

Thomas Davis Lecture Theatre
(Room 2043 Arts Building)
Trinity College Dublin
Friday 13 to Saturday 14 September 2013

Featuring a keynote public lecture by Professor Steven Ellis
Friday 13 September 2013 at 7 pm

Organizers:
Peter Crooks and Seán Duffy, Department of History, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Telephone: +353 1 896-1791

Admission Free • All Welcome
To register, please go to http://geraldines.eventbrite.co.uk/

Further Information:
• www.tcd.ie/history/geraldines
• medieval.ireland.symposium@gmail.com

 

Keynote Lecture: Friday 13 September at 7 pm
Professor Steven Ellis will examine the career of the Great Earl of Kildare, once dubbed by a twentieth-century historian the ‘all-but king of Ireland’. Among Professor Ellis's many publications are: Ireland in the age of the Tudors (1998); Tudor frontiers and noble power (1995); and Reform and Revival (1986).
 
Friday 13 September 2013
13.45, Welcome and Opening Remarks

14.00–15.30
Session 1
Ciaran Brady
Seán Duffy

16.00–17.30
Session 2
Huw Pryce
Colin Veach
 
Saturday 14 September 2013
9.00-10.30
Session 3
Brendan Smith
Paul MacCotter

11.00-12.30
Session 4
Robin Frame
Katharine Simms

14.00-15.30
Session 5
Linzi Simpson
Sparky Booker

16.00-17.30
Session 6
Peter Crooks
David Edwards

The Geraldines and Medieval Ireland. The Making of a Myth. Marking the 500th anniversary of the death of the 'Great Earl' of Kildare. TCD, Friday 13 to Saturday 14 September 2013

September 12, 2013

IRISH WAR OF INDEPENDENCE - EXHIBITION AND DISPLAY

IRISH WAR OF INDEPENDENCE

Exhibition & Display
To mark the 100 Year Anniversary of the foundation
of the
Irish Volunteers
at
Wynns Hotel, Dublin City Centre
on 28 Sept 2013, 11.00 to 5.00 pm


The Irish Volunteer Commemorative Organisation
www.irishvolunteers.org

ON DISPLAY WILL BE MEDALS,UNIFORMS, DOCUMENTS AND MANY MORE
ITEMS FROM THE PERIOD 1913-1923

info@irishvolunteers.org
Brian Crowley
086 2517954

Exhibition & Display To mark the 100 Year Anniversary of the foundation of the Irish Volunteers at Wynns Hotel, Dublin City Centre on 28 Sept 2013, 11.00 to 5.00 pm

A VISIT TO THE HILL OF ALLEN

A visit to the Hill of Allen

Declan O'Connor

A first-ever visit to the Hill of Allen during Heritage Week, 2013, led me to consult my old copy of "Bongmans Eatin Course." "Bongmans" started life as "Longmans Latin Course," but since its first public appearance in schoolrooms, the book title invariably received such a manuscript amendment in smudgy ink on its stiff board covers.
Gerald George Aylmer (1798-1878), 8th Baronet of Donadea, and who constructed the tower, combined a degree of religious fervour with classical learning, judging from the relief inscriptions on its outside.
"Omne Bonum Dei Donum" (All Good Things come in the Gift of God)
"Nisi Quia Dominus" (If the Lord Himself ... had not been on our side), the opening line of Psalm 124.
"Qualis Vita Finis Ita" (As is the Life, so is the End)
"Si Deus Quis Contra" (Si Deus pro nobis quis contra nos ... If God is not with us, who is against us)
"Lux venis Ab Alto" (Light comes from Above)
"Astra Castra" (The Stars are my Camp) ... The complete epigram is Astra Castra Numen Lumen - The Stars are my Camp, the Deity my Light.
"Quod Tibi Id Altieri" (What you mean and You are That)
"Sine Cruce Sine Luce" (Without the Cross, Without Light)
"Hallelujah", not of Latin origin, was the family motto of the Donadea Aylmers
It seems that a long-disappeared brass plate had the following Latin inscription: "G. G. A. 1860. Exegi Monumentum Oere Perennius." (I executed a lasting monument) which is slightly at odds with the stone "1859" inscription over the entrance door.
The following inscription appears on the inside wall at the viewing platform :
"In thankful remembrance of God's mercies, many and great - built by Sir Gerald George Aylmer Baronet A.D. 1860."
A long-eroded inscription on the outside base stones recorded: "Sept 16th, 1861, H.R.H, the Prince of Wales ascended this Tower."
Looking down at the 'disappeared' part of the Hill confirmed one of the prophecies of St. Columcille that "The Hill of Allen would be brought to the four corners of Ireland."

Declan O'Connor's visit to the Hill of Allen brought to mind the prophecy of St. Columcille. Our thanks to Declan

September 07, 2013

STRAFFAN'S "HORSESHOE" FORGE DOWN

Straffan's "Horseshoe" forge down

The Leinster Leader 13 July 1963

Straffan's picturesque "Horseshoe" forge tumbled in a pile of rubble recently as a bulldozer cleared the way for development.
Sadness tugged at the hearts of local people as the building came down. For many of them it represented the end of an era, the era of the blacksmith and the horse.
The forge, which had not been in use for some time, retained its impressive horseshoe-shaped entrance in granite blocks, and travellers often stopped to admire it.
It was formally owned by Mr. Walsh, Straffan, and then became the property of his daughter, Mrs. N. Allen. Structural alterations necessitated its demolition.

NEW SCHOOL

Before the bulldozer began its work local children were moved from their temporary classroom next door as a safety measure. This building will soon be vacated by the children, for a new school is nearing completion and should be finished by the beginning of the next school year in September.
The new school will accommodate all the children of the district. At the moment, they are in two separate schools.
Meanwhile, local people are hoping that Straffan's famous horseshoe has not disappeared forEver. It was learned during the week that the granite blocks which formed the entrance can be reset.

An article from the Leinster Leader of 13 July 1963 on the demolition of Straffan's famous horseshoe forge

UNSUNG HEROES

THE LEINSTER LEADER CENTENARY EDITION

24 November 1984.

UNSUNG HEROES

I knew not the unknown warriors,
Who in famous battles fell,
But I know of unsung heroes,
Again their names I cannot tell,
To me these are the special ones,
Dedicated to a cause,
Who never seek the limelight,
Or received the wild applause.

Unsung heroes, those officials,
With such energy and drive,
Without their zeal and purpose,
No club could ever thrive.

When real success seems far away,
And hope is almost gone,
For them like stage performers,
The show must still go on.

Unsung Heroes, team selectors,
Well their seat is always hot,
When they win, they get no credit,
When they lose, they should be shot!

Just a thought for constant critics,
Who have all the problems solved,
Do sit a while and contemplate,
The work and stress involved.

Unsung Heroes, junior players,
In a club with higher grades,
Poor relations of the seniors,
Always living in their shade.
And when they have their triumphs,
How many others care or know,
But it is from little acorns,
That mighty oak trees grow.

Unsung Heroes, true supporters,
Strung out along the line,
When winter winds are chilling,
Or on summer days so fine.
They do instruct and criticise,
And see only green and white,
But if those were silent sidelines,
The trophies would be light.

Unlike the unknown warrior,
They do not like soldiers fall,
But always when the bugle blasts,
They rally to the cause.

So when you read this Sarsfields story,
Keep this little line in sight,
Were it not for Unsung Heroes,
There would be no history to write.

 

Joe Dunne, a former Sarsfields Club Secretary, County Board Delegate and County Minor Selector, composed this poem "Unsung Heroes".

A poem about the unsung heroes of the GAA by Joe Dunne, from the Leinster Leader GAA centenary edition of 24 November 1984

THIGEEN ROE: COLOURFUL WRITER OF GAA EVENTS

THE LEINSTER LEADER CENTENARY EDITION

24 November 1984

Thigeen Roe: colourful writer of G.A.A. events

THE WORK of Father Edward Ramsbottom started to appear in the Leinster Leader in early 1906. His comments on Gaelic affairs in the county were well timed, coming in between All-Ireland finals, and were written in a critical and often scathing style.
By August he was offering a 10/- prize for anyone who might think up a pen-name for the "nameless one" in the Leinster Leader. Two weeks later the name Thigeen Roe appeared at the end of his column. His column lasted for two years, and left some of the most colourful descriptions of GAA affairs in any provincial Irish newspapers.
A selection of his writing, quoted in Kildare GAA: A Centenary History gives a picture of GAA affairs in the county at the time.
January 6, 1907, (on the 1905 Leinster final, in which Kildare beat Louth 0-11 to 1-7): "On Sunday a large number of Gaels waved white flags. I hate to see such practices creeping into Gaelic games for they are desperately like mafficking, a decidedly Saxon custom of which Baden Powell is patron saint. Louth played a great game. Why not wave our little white flags in their faces?"
January 26, 1907, on the County Hurling final: "The Clane fellows kicked the ball now with one foot now with the other foot, then they shovelled it along and finally won comfortably by 24 points to 13, running all the time."
February 2nd, 1907, on club football in Kildare: "I have seen Dublin, Kilkenny, Louth and Kerry, play but I would rather watch Roseberry for ten minutes than see the other best teams for an hour."
March 16, 1907, on Kildare player Jack Fitzgerald: "I know that Jack had donned an overcoat and when the ball happened to come his way he had first to take off his overcoat."
March 23, 1907, on the selling of a match by three players for 10/- apiece: "The all white colours have been disgraced. Let us strike our colours at once with the bookmakers and adopt new ones. Let Kildare adopt new colours ― colours of penitence."
March 23, 1907, on GAA relationships with the RIC: "The Gaels of Kildare and Dublin don't want themselves or their pastimes to be even remotely associated with the Royal Irish Constabulary."
April 20, 1907, on the Clane v Roseberry County Final in Athy: "Were it not for the large crowd of enthusiasts who travelled by train, there would not have been present the makings of a land-grabber's funeral. It was simply ideal that there was not a single policeman to be seen on the field."
May 11, 1907, on the County Final replay: "To Gaels from other counties, Roseberry and Lord Edwards present an enigma. Walking from the station at Athy to the battlefield may be seen the players in little groups, Fitzgerald and Merriman, Jack Murray and Bertie White, in all probability, or rather possibility, forming another group; then Gorman, Cribben, Bracken and Gundy Fitzgerald may possible come next, while Donnelly, Kelly, Connolly and Joyce Conlan may be hob-nobbing last. There they go, talking and chatting and laughing and joking, these 34 players, the greatest living exponents of Gaelic football. The greatest rivals at home, the greatest allies outside Kildare."
July 13, 1907, on the shock Leinster final defeat against Dublin: "Anyone who has keenly followed the tactics of the Kildare team knows that they are real masters of the wide play. Kildare never force a game at midfield. They send the ball to the wings. At Kilkenny on Sunday, Ned Kennedy, Connolly and Conlan were frequently spilled not by Dublin but by the crowd who insisted on encroaching on the field of play."
July 27, 1907, on the 1906 county final second replay: "Nothing in Gaelic football was witnessed faster or more exciting than the beginning of this game. Lord Edwards were victims of bad luck and overtraining."
October 12, 1907, on the success of Kildare's junior hurlers: "Our hurlers once more proved how bad some of the Leinster Junior hurling teams can be. The Kildare captain during the last half was a decidedly interested spectator. He is a man whom nothing can disturb for he smoked his cigarette as calmly on the field as he would were he in Staplestown. After all, a man would think very little about a team without expressing that little in smoke."
"If the final of the Leinster Junior championship for the year 1905 be played at Jones's Road on 22 September 1907 and the semi-final of the Leinster Junior Hurling Championship for 1906 be played at Jones's Road on October 6, 1907, when and where will the final of the Junior Championship for the year 1906 be played?"
November 9, 1907, on the Roseberry-Clane county final: "Between Roseberry and Clane the most intense rivalry exists. The bitterness of defeat to either is extreme yet they always fight their battles to a grand and sporting finish. They can win and they can bear defeat unflinchingly. One never runs away from the other."
"The South Kildare committee have turned out to be a useless body. They are no good for King or country. They won't meet. They won't make fixtures. They'll do nothing but talk."
"Knowing Messrs. Radley and Moynihan, I am surprised that they have as yet done nothing for the girls of Kildare. In the whole county there is not yet one colleen hurling club."
December 7, 1907, on the state of the nation: "A Kildare game is to keep the ball to the wings. The kick out is not going far enough. The ball usually goes over Merriman and the Half backs and not far enough to Grundy and Rafferty. And I hope I won't hear that raucous music-hall, soccer, rugger, half-Saxon, half-Scotch roar "Go on Kildayre".

An article on the colourful columnist 'Thigeen Roe,' from the Leinster Leader GAA centenary edition of 24 November 1984


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2