« Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal Home »


THE ORIGINS OF MACRE NA FEIRME

The origins of Macra na Feírme

Macra na Feírme (at first known as the Young Farmers’ Clubs) was founded as a national organisation at Newman House, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin, in September 1944. The founders were a twelve member group of agricultural advisers, rural science teachers and young farmers, all members or lecturers in discussion groups, which became known as young farmers’ clubs.
The first headquarters of Macra na Feírme was at the Town Hall, Athy, Co. Kildare and opened by Mr. Sean T. O’Kelly, President of Ireland, in September 1947. Athy, Co. Kildare, Mooncoin, Co. Kilkenny and Kilmallock, Co. Limerick, are regarded as the first branches.
Stephen Cullinan, M. Agr. Sc. Rural Science teacher at Athy became founder, first Secretary of Macra na Feírme and first editor of the Young Farmers’ Journal, which later became today’s Irish Farmers’ Journal.
Macra na Feírme founded Irish Farmers’ Journal, Irish Creamery Milk Suppliers Association, Macra na Tuaithe (later Foroige), National Farmers’ Association (now IFA), Farm Apprenticeship Scheme, Irish Farm Accounts Co-op (IFAC) and National Co-operative Farm Relief Services Ltd.


[Taken from Macra na Feírme 50th Anniversary 1944-1994 Catalogue]

The origins of Macra na Feírme taken from the 50th Anniversary 1944-1994 Catalogue


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2