« Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal Home »


OBITUARY. MRS. GWENDELLA CASSIDY

Leinster Leader 6 June 1959


Obituary
Mrs. Gwendella Cassidy, Monasterevan
The last link with Monasterevan’s once famed distillery and brewery, which was founded in 1784, and began the town’s era of prosperity, was severed by the death in England of the proprieter, Mrs. Gwendella Cassidy, widow of the late Mr. Robert Cassidy of Togher House, Monasterevan.
Formerly Miss Gwendella Bellairs, of Italy, she came to Ireland with her father, who was then Italy’s Ambassador to Ireland. She has one son, Mr. James Cassidy, who resides in England, and one daughter, Mrs. Redmond, who predeceased her by some years.
In 1870, James Cassidy built Togher house, now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Parkinson. It was previously the residence of Sir George Holden, Bart., and for a short period the temporary home of the famous tenor, Count john McCormack.
The distillery, built on a site of portion of the lands of St. Evin’s Monastery, was founded by Mr. John Cassidy, magistrate and merchant, who first came to Monasterevan from Kinitty, Co. Offaly, as estate agent for Moore Abbey. It was carried on by the Cassidy family until 1934, when it finally closed as a distillery.

The obituary of Mrs. Gwedella Cassidy, Monasterevan, from the Leinster Leader of 6 June 1959


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2