« July 2011 | Main | September 2011 »

August 31, 2011

PILGRIMS IN SMASH

The Kildare Observer , September 15, 1928

Pilgrims in Smash

The timely arrival and help of Lieut. P. Shelvin, O.C. Curragh Abattoir, and Pte. P. Fitzgerald, of the Abattoir Staff, saved, perhaps from death, three helpless women, one of whom was an invalid, on Friday week, when the horse trap in which they were driving overturned and pinned them beneath. The party, who had come from Wicklow, were on their was to Father Moore’s Well at Milltown, Kildare. Mistaking the road, they were proceeding towards the Curragh Camp, and when opposite the abattoir entrance the horse, for some unexplained reason, pulled one wheel of the car on to the road bank, with the result mentioned. The ladies, two of whom including the invalid were bleeding profusely and suffering from severe injuries to the head and body, were on the point of fainting when Lieut. Shevlin and Pte. Fitzgerald, who were leaving the abattoir, came to their assistance and extricated them. Worse still, the horse, in an attempt to free itself, had commenced to lash and plunge, and only an act of Providence could have saved the trapped occupants from being struck, trampled upon, or dragged along the road under the upturned car. Great credit is due to Lieut. Shevlin and Pte. Fitzgerald, who affected the rescue at considerable personal risk to themselves.

SIR ERASMUS D. BORROWES AND HIS KILDARE TENANTRY

Leinster Leader May 14, 1881

SIR ERASMUS D. BORROWES AND HIS KILDARE TENANTRY
(FROM OUR CORRESPONDANT)


The above Landlord, protected by a guard of police, came to Kildare on the 4th instant, to collect the rents of his estate in the vicinity, which consists of about 550 acres, rented at a much higher value than the Duke of Leinster’s property adjoining it. The tenants requested the Very Rev. Dr. Kavanagh, their respected parish priest, to call on him, and ask a reduction of 20 per cent. This reasonable request Sir E.D. Borrowes refused to accede to and threatened immediate proceedings for the recovery of the full rent. Dr. Kavanagh conveyed his reply to the tenantry, who at once declared their determination to refuse to pay any longer an unjust rent. This resolve was conveyed to the Landlord, who thereupon insulted a peaceful and respectful tenantry by visiting them under police protection to demand why they had not paid their rents. One of them to whom he gave £40 per year permanent reduction by the advice of the others paid, but all the others replied that he would get no rent until he gave the required reduction or brought down the “Emergency men.” The following Friday the tenants received letters from Messrs. White and White, 13 Upper Ormond Quay, Dublin, requiring the rent by the next day at twelve o’clock, with 10s 2d costs, adding that interest would be charged till the amount was paid. Subjoined is the list of the tenants:-

  

Valuation                                  Rent

                                                £          s.          d.                      £         s.          d.

Thomas Lee                         114      0          0                      161      3          8

Mary Lee                             130      0          0                      180      0          0

James Rourke                       32        0          0                      46        15        0

James Clinch                        37        10        0                      66        0          8

A. Davis                                            -                                               -          

Rev. T. Sheridan                       7          5          0                      10        3          4

A. Hackett                                       -                                               -

John Lowery                        11        10        0                      14        0          0

Thos. Kelly                           0          15        0                      1          4          0

Michael Hopkins                      0          10        0                      1          11        8

Stephen Conway                      1          0          0                      2          5          10

 

On Thursday last 12th instant, six of the tenants were served with writs for the half year’s rent due March 25th 1881. I May add that some of those tenants have expended over £1,500 on their holdings within the past few years. The landlord has now thrown down the gauntlet, and they are determined to hold out to the last.

 

August 30, 2011

IRISHMAN'S SUCCESS IN GERMANY

The Nationalist 16 July 1966
Irishman’s success in Germany

An Athgarvan, Co. Kildare, man is making quite a name for himself in soccer circles among the American forces in west Germany. He is 21 year-old Mr. Michael Byrne, who was drafted into the American army in 1963 and is now serving in West Germany. A local newspaper says, “Its probably just luck – the luck of the Irish.”
“This is the way Irish Mike Byrne, from the 24th Division Lion soccer team explains his sudden emergence as one of the most feared scorers in the German Class A Reserve League, which provided the Taromen with much of their competition.”
And his coach describes Mike as “just one of those guys who always happens to be in the right place at the right time.” So successful has he been in the Forces that he says his principal aim on going back to the U.S. is to attend Notre Dame University – on a soccer scholarship.
Mr. Byrne is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Byrne, Athgarvan, Newbridge. When in Ireland, he was also a successful Gaelic footballer.

An article from the Nationalist of 15 July 1966 on Michael Byrne's soccer success in West Germany

August 24, 2011

SALLINS CULTURE NIGHT 2011

SALLINS CULTURE NIGHT 2011

Friday 23 September 2011

Discover Theobald Wolfe Tone from a Sallins viewpoint

Participate in an evening of discovery and entertainment based on his life and writings

Speakers:

Seamus Cullen - writer/historian at heritage site

Dr. Sylvie Kleinman - lecturer Trinity College at Sallins National School

Plus music performed by Sult

Free bus to heritage site 6.00 pm, 6.30 pm, returing to lecture, exhibit and recitals and one-act play. Departing from Fresh 2 Go/Sallins Post office

Sallins Culture Night 2011. Discover Theobald Wolfe Tone from a Sallins viewpoint

IN THE FOUR COURTS

In the Four Courts

James Durney

In the early hours of Good Friday, 14 April 1922, anti-Treaty members of the IRA occupied the Four Courts in Dublin. Liam Duffy, a native of Monasterevin, was part of the garrison. During the War of Independence, Duffy had been an officer in G Company, 6th Battalion, Carlow Brigade. Others in the company at the time included Captain Paddy Martin, a former Kildare inter-county footballer, Lieutenant Kit Treacy and Lieutenant Peter Dunne, Monasterevin. In 1920-1 Duffy was imprisoned by the British authorities in Mountjoy Jail and Perth Prison, in Glasgow. Liam was born in 1900 to Thomas Duffy (34), a gardener, and his wife, Mary (26), a domestic servant, who lived at No. 3, Monasterevin Bog, Monasterevin. In the 1911 census Liam had three brothers – John Joe, Thomas and Michael – and one sister, Maria.

According to a new book ‘The Fall of Dublin’ by Liz Gillis the Four Courts garrison consisted of six sections comprising198 officers and men. A personal friend of Liam Mellows, Liam Duffy was attached to the headquarters section, which included the Four Courts Executive of Mellows, Rory O’Connor, Joe McKelvey, Ernie O’Malley, Tom Derrig, Peadar O’Donnell, Dick Barrett, Paddy O’Brien, Joe Griffin, Simon Donnelly, Seán Lemass and Seán MacBride. The republicans used whatever was at hand to fortify the building, including barbed wire and sandbags. Many windows were barricaded with heavy legal law tomes, law books and weighty ledgers. The headquarters section was positioned in the central hall under the dome. They were involved in digging a tunnel to Patterson’s factory in Church Street. However, this tunnel was never finished and became water-logged.

At 4.29 a.m. on 28 June 1922, Dublin awoke to the boom of two field guns as the National Army began its bombardment of the republican garrison in the Four Courts. The two guns, borrowed from the British, were positioned in Winetavern Street and Lower Bridge Street and barely scratched the stone of the huge building. As well as artillery fire, the National Army used Lewis guns, Hotchkiss guns and Thompson sub-machine guns to batter the building. The republicans had machine guns and rifles on the roof of the courts, but they were no match for the National Army’s arsenal. The garrison held out until 4 p.m. on Friday 30 June when they surrendered to the pro-Treaty forces. The republicans suffered relatively few casualties in the battle for the Four Courts: three volunteers were killed and eight wounded. The National Army forces, however, suffered at least seven killed and upwards of seventy wounded. Most of the National Army wounded occurred when mines laid by the republicans exploded – the cause of the explosions has never being verified – which destroyed the central hall and priceless historical records dating back hundreds of years. 

The surrendered garrison were marched off to captivity in Jameson’s Distillery. From there they were taken to jails around the city. Most of the Executive were taken to Mountjoy Jail. Liam Duffy joined his friend Liam Mellows in Mountjoy, where he would remain until at least the following year. Liam Mellows was executed in Mountjoy Jail in December 1922. No doubt Liam Duffy heard the shots which ended his friends’ life. In April 1924 Liam Duffy was still in custody. He was held in Hare Park Camp, the Curragh where he would remain until he was finally freed with the last groups of hard-line republicans later that year. After the Civil War Liam Duffy worked with the Post Office and was later attached to Athy P.O. He also worked as a Social Welfare and Excise Officer. A life-long gaelic speaker Liam was a member of the county branch, Gaelic League, and became actively involved in Athy in promoting the Irish language. Liam Duffy died in 1979, aged eighty, at his home in Enniscorthy. One of his closest friends, Jack McKenna, Athy and Castledermot, on learning of his death said: “Liam was a true Irishman and a lifelong friend. Kildare and Ireland had every reason to be proud of him.”

Liam Duffy, a native of Monasterevin, was a member of the Four Courts garrison during the Civil War in 1922

August 23, 2011

FUNERAL OF C.S. PARNELL

The Kildare Observer, October 17, 1891

FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR. C.S. PARNELL

The following from our district attended the funeral:-Athy – A Cummins.Baltinglass (Co. Wicklow) – Patrick Byrne, PLG; Andrew Kehoe, Peter Byrne, James Neill, John Neill, T Doyle, Michael J Doyle, Wm Finter, Patrick Byrne, jun; Jas Lynch, Patrick Lynch, John Geoghegan, Robt Wall, Patrick Slator, Edward Whittle, Charles Boland, P Coogan, John Hearne.Castlecomer INF – Martin Patrick Kenny, Laurence A Curran.Clane – J.D. White, Ed Kelly.Carbery Branch I N L – Martin O’Brien, Patrick Color, O Foran, F Bermingham, A Byan, M Murphy, R Boylan, T Boylan, J Hanley, A Hughes, B Graves.Celbridge Branch, INL – S Hayes, president; C McDonnell, secretary; P Kirwan.Killelan (Co. Kildare) GAA – Edward Lawler, Ml Nolan, Matthias Nolan, James Bourke, Wm Dowling.Kells – James Reilly, TC; PJ McDonald, TC Farrell Tully, Chairman Town Commissioners; Patrick Collins, TC; Luke Lynch.Kildare – John Heffernan, PLG; John Hackett, PLG; James Cleary, James Fitzpatrick, Michael Flood, Thomas Boland, Dr. Power, Patrick Hickey, A Fitzpatrick, John Moore, John Mooney, T Banon, John Butler, P Fay, Thomas Hughes, James Morony, M Hannon, M Mullens, Michael Cantwell, Thomas Darley, D Rankins, J Duggan, Robert Brierton, P Kean, William Bergin, P Purcell, G Knox, M Morgan, James Mooney.Kilcullen – Thomas Grady, James Boylan, Peter Dowling.Lucan Gaelic Athletic Association (Sarsfield) Branch – James O’Mahony, James Harris, Frank Murray, J Behan, James Rahilly, John Lalor, P Kearns, T Hughes, P Mangan, T Behan.Maryborough – George Fench, Henry Fench, Thomas Doherty, Mark Walsh, Nicholas Walsh, George Vanston, Thomas O’Neill, CTC; P. Kelly, TC; WH Cobb.Naas Irish National League – Dr. J Smyth, SJ Brown, solicitor; E Dowling, P Lawlor, Halverstown; Thomas Keating, Leinster Leader; TP Ronan, do; R Dorrian, MI Lynch, JJ Dowling, hon sec; E Dowling.Naas Town Commissioners – JP Bermingham, OTC; Denis Donohue, TC; Jas Conway, TC; Michael Gogarty, Town Clerk.Naas Labour Union – P McDonald, W Moran, M Donohoe, W Whelan, J Foley, J McGrath, P Farrell, T Gannon, W Shea, M Walsh, sec.; T McMahon, W Gaul, P Turner.There were also present from Naas – PJ Doyle, W Staples, A Dowling, C Black, VS; J Coady, Sallins; T Daly, do; J T McGrane, G Lombart, Egerton Jones, Jas Kennedy.Ballymore – JT Purcell.Newbridge Town Commissioners – J Malone, chairman; Thomas Copeland, PLG; John Dunn, Thos Kelly, Peter Tormey, Patrick Cor, Dr Richard Murphy, Joseph Farrell.Newbridge Parnell Leadership Committee – Wm Ryan, Thos Doyle, Thomas Hyland, Wm Sex, Thos Kelly, Robt Ganon, Francis Fleming, Thomas Murrin, James Kelly, John Tierney, PLG; John Kearney, John Hogan, Christopher Geraghty, Thos Kevins, George F Turner, John Boland, James Finlay, John Kelly, D Kelly, E Kelly, C Cox, Peter Brien, James Guinnane.Rathcoole Branch National League – Peter Vickers, PLG (president); James O’Connor (treasurer); James Lennon (hon sec), Laurence Parvey, John O’Connor, Thomas Egan, Wm Fyans, jun; Michael Dolan, Wm Gibney, Michael Dowling, John Lennon, Mathew Carty.Rathcoole Parnell Leadership Committee – James Sheil (president); Edward Shiel, PLG (treasurer); Jas Carthy (secretary); Nicholas Hamilton.

An extract from coverage in The Kildare Observer, October 17, 1891 of the funeral of C.S. Parnell, listing people from Kildare and surrounding areas who attended. Retyped by Aisling Dermody

August 17, 2011

750th ARTICLE: COMMEMORATION OF THE BATTLE OF BALLAGHMOON 908 AD

Commemorating the Battle of Ballaghmoon 908 A.D.

On Monday 15 August at 3 p.m. at Ballaghmoon Graveyard an unveiling took place to commemorate the Battle of Ballaghmoon 908 A.D.

 

Unveiling EDIT.jpg
Professor Raymond Gillespie and Paddy Behan unveiling the monument
on Monday 15 August 2011 at Ballghmoon Graveyard.
Though the afternoon was inclement a small crowd of local supporters, local history enthusiasts and Kildare Co. Council staff turned out to witness the unveiling of the attractive monument.
Crowd EDITwebsmall.jpg
Memorial EDITwebsmall.jpg
Throughout the day speakers paid tribute to Eamon Kane and his local Committee who had pioneered the project and it was Eamon who gave a brief introduction to the erection of the Monument and indeed the importance of the battle itself. Eamon then introduced Paddy Behan, Chairman of the Co. Kildare Historic Monuments Advisory Committee to say a few words and to introduce the rest of the speakers.
Eamonn and Paddy Behanwebsmall.jpg
Eamon Kane being presented with a token of appreciation by
Chairman of the Co. Kildare Historic Monuments Advisory Committe, Paddy Behan.
Kildare Co. Council's commitment to the project through the Monuments Committee and the Heritage Officer, Bridget Loughlin contributed greatly to the erection of the Monument and Paddy called on the Mayor of Kildare, Michael Nolan MCC to say a few words.
 
Mayor Michael NolanEDITwebsmall.jpg
Mayor of Co. Kildare, Michael Nolan MCC.
 
Peter Minnock, Acting Co. Manager on behalf of the County Manager Michael Malone and Brigid Loughlin, Co. Heirtage Officer  followed the Mayor and paid tribute to the local community, the Ballaghmoon Committee and the various individuals who had made the day possible.
Peter Minnockwebsmall.jpg
Peter Minnock, Acting Co. Manager
Brigid Loughlinwebsmall.jpg
 Bridget Loughlin, Co. Heritage Officer
 
Paddy Behan then introduced Professor Raymond Gillispie of NUI Maynooth, Editor of the Co. Kildare Archaeological Society Journal to formally unveil the monument.
Ray EDITwebsmall.jpg
Professor Raymond Gillespie
Professor Gillespie again paid tribute to all involved and gave a brief outline of the battle and of its importance in Irish history; an importance which would now be acknowledged by this wonderful monument.

Eamonn Kane, Rayond Gillespie and local farm owner George Ashmore were presented with mementos of the occasion as tokens of appreciation for their involvement on the day and their support of the project throughout.

Ray Paddy and EamonnEDITwebsmall.jpg
Paddy Behan presents Prof. Ray Gillespie with commemorative pewter plate
 
George and EamonnEDITwebsmall.jpg
Eamon Kane presents George Ashmore with commemorative pewter plate
George Ashmore in particular made a great contribution to the preparation of the area for the monument, the lifting of the monument into place and the faciliation of the ceremony on the family farm at Ballaghmoon.
 
 
Group EDIT.jpg
George Ashmore, Brigid Loughlin, Mayor Michael Nolan,  Peter Minnock,
Prof. Raymond Gillespie, Eamon Kane, Paddy Behan

NEW SANATORIUM OPENED AT FIRMOUNT

The Kildare Observer, February 10, 1934

NEW SANATORIUM

Opened at Firmount, County Kildare.

ACCOMMODATION FOR THIRTY
St. Conleth’s new Sanatorium situate at Firmount, Sallins, County Kildare, was formally opened on last Friday by Dr. E. P. McCarron, Secretary, Local Government Department, acting on behalf of the Minister for Local Government, Mr. Sean T. O’Kelly, who was unavoidably absent.
The New Sanatorium has been provided by the Kildare Health Board to deal with cases of chronic and acute tuberculosis from the county. It is in charge of Dr. Wm. McCarthy, Co. M.O.H.; Mrs. Masterson, Matron, and two Nurses, Misses Butler and Dunne.
Speaking at the luncheon following the opening ceremony, Dr. McCarron paid tribute to the Kildare Board of Health who, he declared, were pioneers in health reform. The Department had the fullest confidence that the new Institution would be in safe keeping in the capable hands of Dr. McCarthy, on the medical side, and Mr. D.J. Purcell, on the administrative side.

REMARKABLE STATISTICS
There are thirty beds at present in the Sanatorium which was formally a private residence owned by Major Henry. It is situated on about twenty acres of well timbered demesne – on top of an eminence. From the windows of the wards patients look on to the beautiful stretches of woodland and pasture. The wardrooms, three in number, are admirably constructed – each containing ten beds. Central Heating has been provided and the entire building is equipped on the most modern appliances and furnished on the most hygienical lines.
On the arrival of the visitors they were conducted through the Sanatorium and grounds by Dr. McCarthy and Mr. P. Phelan, Chairman of the Co. Board of health; Dr. Michael Purcell, Assistant Co. M.O.H; V. Rev. L. Kheoe, P.P., Clane; Rev. Fr. Murphy, C.C., Clane; Dr. and Mrs. Blake, Geo. and Mrs. Gardiner, Rev. P. W. and Mrs. Carter, Dr. McDonnell, L.G. Dept., and Dr. Boyd Barrett, do.; Dr. J. H. Harbison, Co. M.O.H., Dublin; M. Smyth, and J.J. Byrne, etc., etc.
The formal opening having been preformed by Dr. McCarron, the visitors were entertained to lunch.
Mr. Phelan, welcoming the visitors, said that this hospital, he hoped, would have a great future before it – a future in which hope, consolation and mercy would be the predominant factors. The lot, as they all knew, of the tuberculosis patient was not too happy, but here, they would have an institution where everything that science could accomplish for the amelioration of that lot, would be done by willing hands. The Kildare Board of Health had to meet many commitments at the present time and it would be superfluous for him to talk of how hard pressed the taxpayers were, but this much he would say on behalf of the people of Kildare that were the cause of suffering humanity was concerned they would never be found wanting (applause). He would propose, therefore, the toast of their new hospital – a toast to its future, and he would add his humble that it would serve a useful purpose and bring a message of hope and consolation to the hearts of their people. (Applause).
Dr. McCarron said this new institution was the outward and visible sign of the attack made on tuberculosis in Co. Kildare. He had been greatly impressed by his inspection of the sanatorium and all the more so because, ordinarily, he was opposed to converting private houses for use as sanatoria. But in this case he had to remind himself constantly that this was a converted building, so admirably was it suited for its purpose. Co. Kildare and its Board of Health were pioneers of health reform. It was the first County in the Saorstat to have a Co. M.O.H., and he thought much of the success achieved here was due to its splendid officials, Mr. D.J. Purcell and Dr. McCarthy, and to the wisdom and conscientiousness of the Board’s Chief Director, Mr. P. Phelan. (Applause).
Dealing with the figures for tuberculosis he said they showed a reduction of 40.7 p.c. as compared with the comparatively recent figures for 1913-14. A still more gratifying feature of these figures was that the more youthful groups showed the greatest decrease. Thus the figures of deaths of children up to the age of five years showed a reduction of 65.6; children between the ages of five years and ten years, a reduction of 57.5; and children between the ages of ten years and fifteen years a reduction of 54.2 p.c. as compared with the corresponding figures per thousand for the year 1913-14. Figures For Children.
An examination of the figures also avowed that during 1933, if they took the figures for children between the ages of 10 and 15, eleven children were being treated for every death, which went to show they had arrived at the gratifying position that all cases that should be treated were being ascertained and treated. That was very gratifying in view of the fact that early diagnosis was of vital importance in the cure of this disease.
Another important aspect of the statistics was that the death rate was among females was larger than among males, but it was very consoling to know that the decline in the death rate among females for the period under review was higher than the decline among males.
Continuing, Mr. McCarron said he would have very great pleasure in conveying to Mr. O’Kelly an account of their inspired proceedings that day. He understood the Sanatorium was dedicated to St. Conleth. He had been particularly struck by the beautiful chapel which he was sure was dedicated to the great saint. During Conleth’s times the Danes were very troublesome. They raided the shrine of St. Conleth and St. Brigid. Perhaps he would conclude by expressing the hope that this new shrine dedicated to St. Conleth and St. Brigid, a shrine which no mortal power can break would prove a shrine in which would be found kindness and charity, and the alleviation of human suffering. (applause).
Dr. J. Harbison said that the Sanatorium would be a protection for the public by removing sources of infection. The treatment of tuberculosis was not the provision of a remedy, but the alteration of a mode of life. The watchword of the campaign against it must be “education, co-operation and organisation.” He said he was he first County Medical Officer of Health in the Saorstat and that was a tribute to the perspicacity of the Kildare Co. Council, who was the first public body to put the scheme in operation.
Whole-hearted Generosity
The Rev. L. Kehoe, P.P., Clane, said the Kildare Board of Health had always stood for everything that concerned the health of the people. He had been for eighteen years a public priest among the people of Kildare, and one of the things that had impressed him was the whole hearted generosity of the people and the Board of Health towards all requiring relief and those stricken with disease. Their interest was not of a spectacular kind. There was no county in Ireland where care on behalf of the sick. And the poor who would meet with more ready response than amongst the people of their county.
Chronic Cases
Dr. Boyd Barrett said the Institution would provide a long-felt need. Before Union amalgamation every workhouse had at least two tuberculosis wards. Peamount Sanatorium was for cases in the early stages, but there was need everywhere for provision to deal with chronic and advanced cases.
Need Of Substantial Grant
Dr. McConnell having spoken, Mr. Henderson said he was proud to say he had the pleasure of proposing that the Board of Health adopt the scheme. At the time they had had a lot of talk and it looked doubtful, but he had been very favourable to it for a long time, and they managed to get over all opposition. The Board of Health was now proud having set up this Institution. At all events he never heard a word of opposition to it now. On the other hand he could feel for the ratepayer. Many of them had to pay rates and the less they had to pay the better. Kildare was putting up a big show in adopting those schemes of Public Health, and incurred a great deal of preliminary expense. He hoped then that the Government would not do what they did before in giving grants to Cork, Clare, Kerry and other places and leave Kildare out in the cold. They in Kildare had shown they appreciated the necessity for such schemes and so far they were prepared to pay for them. He hoped the Local Government Department would not forget that in the future, and that they would see their way to give a substantial grant to County Kildare.
The Rev. M. Coster complimented all concerned in this great project, and wished it every success.
Mr. D.J. Purcell thanked Mr. McCarron for the complimentary remarks he made towards him. He said it was a great honour to him to be Secretary of the Kildare Board of Health. They were a body, the members of which vied with each other in promoting the health and welfare of the sick and suffering poor. The success of the Board was in a great measure due to the wisdom they had shown in retaining as their Chairman Mr. Phelan, the worthy captain of that assembly.
Mr. Gardiner said he wished to thank the Board for the assistance for the assistance thay had given him in carrying out the work that was necessary in the building.
Dr. MacCarthy said he wished to thank the Chairman and the other members of the Board of Health for the great assistance they had always given him. He said that he had only played a minor part in connection with the provision of the new sanatorium. He had only to do with the equipment of the Institution and he was afraid that all the credit he had got was not due to him. The catering was carried out by Mrs. Lawler and Sons, Naas.

The opening of a new Sanatorium at Firmount, Sallins is covered in this story from The Kildare Observer, February 10, 1934 to help with the increasing cases of  tuberculosis in the county.

SUCCESS STORY OF MONASTEREVAN INDUSTRY

Leinster Leader, September 19, 1959

Success Story of Monasterevan Industry

Monasterevan is one of the towns in County Kildare which languishes due to lack of full employment for its inhabitants. On a number of occasions moves were made to establish an industry in the town by a local development association, and other bodies, but eventually the efforts petered out, and emigration continued to take its toll.
During the past few years prospects have grown a bit brighter due principally to the initiative of local business man, Mr. A. Tynan, whose enterprises include a progressive knitwear industry employing almost forty girls, almost all of whom are from the locality.
Monasterevan, however, was not always lacking in industry and employment as the following description taken from the Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837) indicates.
Monasterevan is a market and post town and a parish in the Barony of West Ophaley, County of Kildare. 11 miles (W.S.W) from Naas and 30 (S.W.) from Dublin on the mail coach road to Limerick containing 1386 people of which number 1,111 are in the town.

FOUNDED MONASTERY
This place the history goes on to state derives its name from a monastery founded there and made a place of sanctuary by St. Abban in which were afterwards placed monks from South Leinster by St. Eavan or Evin in the seventh century. The monastery having afterwards become extinct was refounded towards the close of the twelfth century by Desmond O’Dempsey, King of Ophaley and though considered as just beyond the border of the English Pale was made a mitered abbey and its Abbot sat as a baron in the Irish Parliament.
At the dissolution the Abbey and the manor were granted to George Lord Audley, who assigned them to Adam Loftus Viscount Ely, and they are at present the property of the Marquess of Drogheda.
During the 1798 Insurrection a battle took place here between the insurgents and a party of English soldiery, which terminated in the defeat of the Irishmen and the consequent interruption of their advance into Queen’s County.
The town is pleasantly situated on the eastern bank of the River Barrow. Mr. Lewis continues amidst the improvements of Moore Abbey from which it extends for a quarter of a mile towards the Grand Canal, which passes its extremity. It consists of 214 well built houses on one side only of the principal street, which is parallel with the river, the other side being left open and laid out in gardens and lawns sloping down to the waters edge. The street is intersected by the Dublin road.
A bridge of six arches over the Barrow was erected in 1832 in a direct line with the road, by which the former sharp bend and dangerous turn is avoided.
A new street has been recently laid out in a direction parallel with the back of the principal street of the private expense of the Rev. Henry Moore. Great improvements have been made on the line of the Grand Canal by that company among which may be noticed the construction of an elegant cast iron drawbridge over the canal in 1829 and the carrying of the canal over the Barrow by an aqueduct of three arches of 40 feet span, handsomely built of hewn limestone and surmounted by an iron balustrade; a branch canal from this place has been extended to the thriving town of Portarlington.

CASSIDY’S DISTILLERY
The extensive brewery, distillery and melting concern of Mr. Cassidy whose dwelling house is highly ornamental to the town afford employment to many of the working-class, states Mr. Lewis.
A small tobacco and a tobacco-pipe manufactory are also carried on. The traffic arising from its situation as a great thoroughfare on one of the branches of the great southern road from the Metropolis adds to the support of the town.
Dealing with Monasterevan Parish, Eileen Ryan, the noted writer points out that the founding of Monasterevan Distillery in 1784 by Mr. John Cassidy, merchant and magistrate, began the town’s era of prosperity which (with the exception of the famine years) continued into the nineteen twenties.
Some years after the start of the distillery a serious fire destroyed most of the original premises, but by 1788 it was in regular production again.
Leases of plots from the Marques of Drogheda enabled the premises to be extended. In 1798 the plot on which stands the present disused malthouse, and the Pond Garden was leased to Mr. Cassidy.

ZENITH OF PROSPERITY
Robert Cassidy succeeded his father as proprietor around 1820; his son, James, was in charge of the distillery in 1889, a year in which the firm appears to have been at the zenith of its prosperity with an annual output of 200,000 to 250,000 gallons. Standing orders from firms in London and Bristol led to an annual export of nearly 50,000 gallons. At this date there were 7,000 casks of whiskey in stock in the duty-free warehouses.
Turf was the fuel used in Cassidy’s and contracts were given to local turf cutters.
The building was lighted by turf gas in 1824, and later by coal gas for some years up to 1906, when an acetylene gas plant was installed.
Horses and carts were used to deliver Cassidy’s products to areas not served by railway or canal. Like many contemporary concerns Cassidy’s firm had its own coinage in the form of copper tokens, which were used for paying wages and other expenses and were accepted by local shopkeepers.
Its unequalled flavour and quality earned for Cassidy’s whiskey the reputation of being the best in the country.
The firm had also a brewery and malting concern in conjunction with the distillery. A beverage known as “St. Patrick’s Cross Pale Ale,” was brewed in addition to common porter. The brewery section of the business was established in 1860, by Mr. Wheble, so-in-law of Robert Cassidy. On Robert Cassidy’s death in 1918 his family carried the business until the firm went into voluntary liquidation. In 1934 the premises finally closed as a distillery and became the firm of Samuel E. Holmes, Ltd., which is the site of a modern engineering works.
The founder of Cassidy’s Distillery it is stated, first came to Monasterevan from Kinnity in Offaly, as an estate agent for Moore Abbey, later to become the home of Count John McCormack. It is now run by the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary as a home for epileptic girls.

ESTABLISHMENT OF FACTORY
Thomas Samuel Lewis and Miss Ryan, write of the past glories and history of Monasterevan, but its present prosperity and progress are of more vital concern. In this regard, Mr. William A. Tynan, who has been a leading figure in the town for the past thirty years, has been indefatigable in his efforts to revive some at least of the prosperity that was once enjoyed by Monasterevan residents. Mr. Tynan, who comes from a well-known Laois family succeeded his father, the late Mr. Thomas Tynan, Ballybrittas, equally well-known in business for many years. Mr. William Tynan took over his father’s progressive licensed grocery and drapery business about 1928.
He continued to expand the business, and having a large vacant premises available and after considerable research into the industry, engaged a highly skilled operator, purchased a set of the most up-to-date machinery that could be obtained and set to work in the manufacture of knitware.
Thus the knitting industry was first introduced to Monasterevan.
Now in the short period of six years of hard work and personal endeavour a thriving knitwear industry has been established which manufactures children’s garments in all sizes and colours and gives employment to almost 40 girls, all of whom are from the district; they have been trained and instructed in their various duties on the premises by Miss M. Mulhall, the Manageress.

HOUSEHOLD WORD
The name “Tyna Knitwear” is now a household word and stands for the highest quality in children’s knitted outwear, and it is displayed in the principal shops in every town and village in Irealnd to-day.
Progress has been so rapid with Tyna Knitwear that during the past year a new factory containing all modern conveniences and up-to-date methods has been erected. The factory has been planned so as to allow for further extension and with steady demand and greatly increased output it is anticipated that a further extension will be necessary in the immediate future.
Not the least of the success of Tyna Knitwear is due to the great care and attention paid to the selection of yarns and other items that go into the manufacture of the various garments.
Strictest supervision ensures that only high quality garments are produced and every housewife in the country who has used Tyna will guarantee its washability and wearing qualities. The new factory contains modern steam raising methods and a thermostatically controlled heating system, which ensures that the correct temperature and humidity necessary in manufacture is maintained throughout the year.

WITHOUT GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE
During the past year a private limited company was formed the shareholders being Mr. and Mrs. Tynan and their family; the firm trades as Messers. Tyna Knitware Ltd.
Unlike many other industries in the country this factory has been started and financed privately and without any Government assistance financially or otherwise, which is a great tribute to the promoter.
Incidentally many other industries benefit as the result of the establishment of this go-ahead firm, such as the manufacture of yarns , threads, elastic, buttons, labels, boxes, printing, zip fasteners.
Mr. Tynan’s eldest son Mr. Thomas Tynan, is manager of the firm, whilst Mr. Tony Tynan, another son has a thriving knitwear business in Bray, trading under the named of Twinheart Knitwear, manufacturing ladies and gent’s knitted garments.
Mr. Tynan’s family has been associated with the National Movement since the beginning of the century and rendered great assistance to the cause both in the Council Chamber and in active service.
We congratulate Mr. Tynan and wish him and the company the greatest of success in the future.

NOTED HOUSE
Fitzpatrick’s meat depot is one of the most select and noted firms in County Kildare and even extends operations to the counties Laois and Offaly where the products of the firm are most favourably received. All modern equipment is installed and hygiene requirements are up-to-date.

PAINTING CONTRACTOR
The Kilcock Spray Painting Co. is one of the most go ahead firms in the country, and under the progressive management of Mr. John O’Connor is extending its operations on all sides. Recently many important contracts have been carried out, including the painting of the various stables on the Curragh and at the headquarters for the Irish Racing Board. Mr. O’Connor incidentally is a native of Killarney and played with the Kerry team winning Munster and many other championship titles. His brother, Mr. Denis O’Connor, won three All-Ireland’s with Kerry playing at right full-back and another brother the late Mr. Tom O’Connor was also a noted footballer.

HIGH-CLASS STORES
The Monasterevan General Stores Ltd. centrally situated in the town provides everything from the proverbial needle to an anchor. Groceries and provisions, hardware seeds, manures, implements, drapery, footware, delph, building materials, Calor gas sales and service are only some of the items in this high-class establishment.

MR. JOHN BOYLE, MARKET SQUARE
Another well-known licensed premises is that of Mr. John Boyle, Market Square, whose high quality drinks and groceries have for years achieved a reputation second to none.

KILDARE HOTEL
Mr. E. Tynan, proprietor of the Leinster Arms Hotel, Kildare, is a well-known sportsman. The hotel has a big reputation for food and drinks served at shortest notice. Mr. Tynan has considerably extended and completely renovated the premises.

THE NAGS HEAD
Mr. O’Brien’s Corner House popularly known as the “Nag’s Head” Monasterevan enjoys a wide clientele and first-class drinks are served.

POPULAR STORES, NAAS
Mr. Wm. O’Brien, Popular Stores, Sallins Road, Naas is the man of the moment for with a land thirsty for water he is supplying the famous Mono Automatic Pressure Water Set to all parts of the country. It has an ideal capacity range for the average household and is a completely automatic self-priming pump. Water problems for farmers and other householders can be solved by the installation of the “Mono”.
Mr. William O’Brien who has been gradually building up an extensive clientele has greatly enlarged his premises and developed new lines. His water and plumbing and heating installations have always been satisfactory and no job is too small or too big for him to undertake.

August 16, 2011

HERITAGE WEEK 2011

 

HERITAGE WEEK 2011

Heritage Week 2011 commences on Saturday 20th August and runs until Sunday 28th August.  This year is packed full of exciting events all across the county all of which celebrate Kildare’s rich and varied heritage. Heritage Week is part of a European Wide initiative with the express aims of fostering awareness of Ireland’s built, natural and cultural heritage, thereby encouraging its conservation and preservation and increasing interest in our shared heritage.

“The wide range of heritage events organised primarily by community groups and local history groups across the county demonstrates a great pride and growing awareness of Kildare’s heritage” said Bridget Loughlin, County Kildare Heritage Officer.  Events include; An Archaeology Tour of the Little Curragh, Family Fun Day at Maynooth Castle, Guided Tour of Kildrought House, The Church of the Oak – Slideshow of photographs of Kildare Town, Bog of Allen Nature Centre Open Day and Straffan Butterfly Farm.

There are a number of events in Castletown including a Country Market, Sunday Summer Series, Evening Tours, Forgotten Voices – the Great Irish Famine revealed through the Strokestown Estate Archive.

A number of child friendly events are being held through out the county including
Children’s Art Workshops in Castletown House, Traditional Tales, Children’s Heritage Hunt, Sow and Grow.

Many local libraries will be hosting events such as Naas – Exhibition: Who do you think you are?; Clane – An illustrated tale on Clongowes Wood College and Local Connections; Leixlip – Tales of Leixlip in the 1950’s an illustrated talk; Celbridge – Historical Talk; Kildare – Shackleton Lecture

Many local history groups will be hosting events such as a Guided Bus Tour of the Rathcoffey Area (Rathcoffey Group) and The Fitzgerald Walk (Maynooth Group). The Landmark Trust will host an open day at the Round House and Batty Langley Lodge at Castletown, Celbridge.

Heritage sites within the county, such as the Athy and Kildare Heritage Centre, The National Stud and Maynooth Castle have free admission or special concessions during the week.

To celebrate heritage Week 2011 the Heritage Council is inviting participants to take place in two national events, National Heritage Week Photography Competition and National ‘Tell Tale’ storytelling Competition.  Details of how to enter both competitions can be obtained from the Heritage Week website details below.

 Kildare County Council has compiled a listing of these and the many other events happening around the County. These are available on www.kildare.ie and in all local libraries. To view a listing of Heritage Week events in other counties please go to www.heritageweek.ie or call 1850 200 978.

Kildare Events listed below.
For further information, please contact, Bridget Loughlin: (045) 980791 (087) 9676841
Email: bloughlin@kildarecoco.ie.
Kildare Events


ARCHAEOLOGY
Killeen Cormac: A Tour Of The Early Ecclesiastical Site
A tour of the early ecclesiastical site, most famous for its collection of ogham stones, led by archaeologist Dr Sharon Greene.

Venue:   Killeen Cormac, Colbinstown.
Cost:   Free
Organiser: County Kildare Archaeological Society and Dr Sharon Greene
Name:   Elizabeth Connelly
Telephone: 045 437321
Date:  Sun 21st
Time:  15:00 – 16:45

The Archaeology of the Little Curragh
A guided walk to view some of the archaeological features of The Little Curragh, led by archaeologist Mr Padraig Clancy.

Venue:   Meet in the car park Cill Dara Golf Club, Little Curragh, Kildare. (By courtesy of the Captain, Mr Oliver    Meade).
Cost:  Free
Organiser:  County Kildare Archaeological Society
Name:   Elizabeth Connelly
Telephone:  045 437321
Date:  Sun 28th
Time:  15:00 - 17:00

ARCHIVES
A Day in the Life of Celbridge
Come one and all let's grab your cameras and take to the streets of Celbridge on Sat 20th Aug. Photographs can be taken at anytime of the day or night, in any location in or around Celbridge and of anything (within reason) as long as the photo is taken on Sat 20th Aug 2011. Snap away until you capture that picture that sums up how you're feeling, what you're doing or even just what is happening around you in Celbridge on Sat 20th Aug. Then log onto our website for details of how and when
to upload your photo to our Page on Facebook, plus details of where else in the village these photos will be displayed during Heritage Week. (Note: We reserve the right to exclude any Images that we deem inappropriate).

Venue:   Online/Facebook, www.facebook.com/CelbridgeCommunityCouncil
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:  Sat 20th
Time:  08:00 - 23:00

FOLKLORE
Friday Night At The Mill
A musical line-up of local groups, open to all over 12yrs of age, but best suited to those young at heart i.e. 12-25yrs old. Important: Anyone under 16 years of age who wants to attend without a parent or guardian will need to provide their parents name and mobile number, and by doing so consents to us contacting their parents prior to the event. Please note that booking is essential: Book online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by calling 087 0911 571 Tickets must be presented at the door or admission will be refused! This is strictly an Alcohol & Drug Free event! Please check our website for updates or changes.

Venue:   The Mill Community Centre, Main Street, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser: Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone: 087 0911571
Date:  Fri 26th
Time:  19:45 - 22:30

Tell-a-Tale
Join us for "Shut-up", a play about a troubled teenager who nobody listens to. Please note that booking is essential: Book  online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by calling 087 0911 571. Please check our website for updates or changes.

Venue:   The Mill Community Centre, Main Street, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:  Sat 27th
Time:  16:00 - 17:00

Sunday Summer Series at Castletown House
The music recitals are held within the environs of Castletown House on Sunday afternoons between 2pm and 4pm. No  booking required. Seated event. The Sunday Summer Series are held every Sunday afternoon from the 5th of June until the
25th of September. Please refer to www.castletown.ie for the music programme.

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  OPW
Name:   Claire Hickey
Telephone: 01 6288252
Dates & Times: Sun 21st August 14:00 - 16:00
  Sun 28th August 14:00 - 16:00

GENEALOGY
Who Do You Think You Are: Information Evening / Tracing Your Family Tree
Information evening on undertaking family history research. The U.S. version of the "Who Do You Think You Are" T.V.  series recently filmed Rosie O'Donnell tracing her family tree in Kildare Local Studies Department in Newbridge. This event will see a representative from Kildare Local Studies provide a description on the research undertaken for this programme,  along with an overview of how to research your own family tree. There will also be an opportunity for a questions and answers session.

Venue:   Naas Community Library, The Harbour, Naas.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Naas Community Library
Name:   Kevin Murphy
Telephone:  045 879111
Date:  Tue 23rd
Time:  20:00 - 21:30

Exhibition: Who Do You Think You Are?
Exhibition based on the RTE/BBC "Who Do You Think You Are" Television Series. There will be an information evening on tracing your family history - to coincide with this exhibition - on Tuesday 23rd August 2011.

Venue:   Naas Community Library, The Harbour, Naas.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Naas Community Library
Name:   Kevin Murphy
Telephone:  045 879111
Dates & Times: Sat 20th 10:00 - 17:00
  Tue 23rd 10:00 - 20:00
  Wed 24th 10:00 - 17:00
  Thu 25th 10:00 - 20:00
  Fri 26th 10:00 - 17:00
  Sat 27th 10:00 - 17:00

HISTORIC BUILDINGS AND GARDENS 
An Illustrated Talk on Clongowes Wood College and Local Connections
An illustrated talk on Clongowes Wood College and local Clane connections by Brendan Cullen and John Noonan. This talk is in conjunction with a photographic exhibition which will be on display for Heritage Week.

Venue:   Clane Community Library, The Woods, Clane, Co. Kildare.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Clane Local History Group in association with Clane Community Library
Name:   Jacqueline McCabe
Telephone:  045 892716
Date:   Tue 23rd
Time:  20:00 - 21:30

Family Fun Day at Maynooth Castle
Take a free guided tour and enjoy a day of fun for all ages in Maynooth Castle. Contact Maynooth Castle for further details.

Venue:   Maynooth Castle, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  The Office of Public Works
Name:   Guide Staff
Telephone:  01 6286744
Date:   Sat 20th
Time:   11:00 - 17:30

Open Day at the Round House
The Irish Landmark Trust rescues and restores Ireland's built heritage. Come and experience an authentically restored C18th gatehouse. Self-guided tour of this restored property now available as a holiday home.

Venue:   The Round House, Castletown, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  The Irish Landmark Trust
Name:   Caroline Crowley
Telephone:  01 6704733
Date:   Sun 28th
Time:  10:00 - 16:00

Open Day at the Batty Langley Lodge
The Irish Landmark Trust rescues and restores Ireland's built heritage. Come and experience an authentically restored C18th Gothic gatelodge. Self guided tour of this restored property now available as a holiday home.

Venue:   The Batty Langley Lodge, Castletown, Leixlip.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  The Irish Landmark Trust
Name:   Caroline Crowley
Telephone:  01 6704733
Date:   Sun 28th
Time:    10:00 - 16:00

Guided Tour of Kildrought House
Kildrought House is a Dublin Merchant's house from 1719. Come and experience this wonderful house in the heart of  Celbridge. Booking essential: book online at www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or phone 087 0911 571. Check our website for updates or changes!

Venue:   Kildrought House, Main Street, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:   Sat 20th
Time:  11:00 - 12:00

Guided Tour of Killadoon House
Killadoon House was built between 1765 and 1770, and sits within its landscaped park. Its intact decorative scheme dates  from the 1820's. Please note that booking is essential: Book online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by calling 087 0911 571. Check website for updates or changes.

Venue:   Killadoon House, Clane Road, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:   Sun 21st
Time:   11:00 - 12:00

Guided Tour
Take a lively guided tour of this fascinating building, a centre of political power and culture in early 16th century Ireland. Please contact Maynooth Castle for details of other Heritage Week events at the Castle.

Venue:   Maynooth Castle, Maynooth.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  The Office Of Public Works
Name:   Catherine O’Connor
Telephone:  01 6286744
Dates & Times: Sat 20th 10:00 - 17:00
  Sun 21st 10:00 - 17:00
  Mon 22nd 10:00 - 17:00
  Tue 23rd 10:00 - 17:00
  Wed 24th 10:00 - 17:00
  Thu 25th 10:00 - 17:00
  Fri 26th 10:00 - 17:00
  Sat 27th 10:00 - 17:00
  Sun 28th 10:00 - 17:00

Country Market at Castletown House
Country Market at Castletown House. Vehicle Access Exit 6, M4, Celbridge West. Dublin Bus, 67 to Celbridge Main Street.

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Caoilfhionn Murphy
Telephone:  01 6288252
Date:   Sun 21st
Time:  10:00 - 17:00

Tower of Allen: Hill of Allen
Access to the Hill of Allen tower steeped in history and with commanding views of the surrounding areas. On each step of the tower is inscribed the names of the men and women who built it.

Venue:   Tower of Allen, Hill of Allen, Allen.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Regina Heavey
Telephone:  087 2840752
Dates & Times: Sat 20th 10:00 - 16:00
  Sun 21st 10:00 - 16:00
  Mon 22nd 10:00 - 16:00
  Tue 23rd 10:00 - 16:00
  Wed 24th 10:00 - 16:00
  Thu 25th 10:00 - 16:00
  Fri 26th 10:00 - 16:00
  Sat 27th 10:00 - 16:00
  Sun 28th 10:00 - 16:00

Guided Tour of Maynooth Castle
Take a lively guided tour of this fascinating building, a centre of political power and culture in early 16th century Ireland. Please contact Maynooth Castle for details of other Heritage Week events at the Castle.

Venue:   Maynooth Castle
Cost:  Free
Organiser:  OPW
Telephone:  01 6286744
Dates & Times:  20th August 10:00 – 17:00
  21st August 10:00 – 17:00
  22nd August 10:00 – 17:00
  23rd August 10:00 – 17:00
  24th August 10:00 – 17:00
  25th August 10:00 – 17:00
  26th August 10:00 – 17:00
  27th August 10:00 – 17:00
  28th August 10:00 – 17:00

Tour of St. Mary’s Church of Ireland
The earliest parts of the building date back to the 13th century.

Venue:   St. Mary’s Church of Ireland, Main Street, Leixlip
Cost:  Free 
Organiser:  Leixlip Union of Parishes
Name:   Helen Ryan
Telephone:  01 6240976
Dates & Times:  20th August 10:00 – 13:00
  22ndAugust 14:00 – 17:00 
  24th August 14:00 – 17:00
  26th August 15:00 – 18:00
  27th August 10:00 – 13:00

LOCAL HISTORY
Tales of Leixlip in the 1950’s: An Illustrated Talk in Leixlip Library
This illustrated talk will be presented by Tony Maher and will be of great interest to those born and bred in Leixlip as well as newcomers to the town.

Venue:   Leixlip Library, Captain's Hill, Leixlip.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Leixlip History Club
Name:   Joan O’Gorman
Telephone:  01 6060050
Date:   Thu 25th
Time:  19:00 - 20:30

Guided Bus Tour of Rathcoffey Area
Guided bus tour of local important buildings and historical sites. Illustrated leaflet will be provided. Opportunities for  photographs. This tour is no. 2 of a series following on from a very successful event last year which was guided by local historian Seamus Cullen.

Venue:   Rathcoffey GAA, Rathcoffey, Donadea.
Cost:   Bus ticket  €5  for Adults and  €3 for children (4-14 yrs.)
Organiser:  Rathcoffey Historical Group
Name:   Mairead Byrne
Telephone:  087 2239410
Date:  Sat 20th
Time:   12:30 - 15:00

The Five Baronies Research Project
Lecture and presentation on the Five Baronies Research Project.

Venue:   Athy Heritage Centre-Museum, Emily Sq., Athy.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Athy Heritage Centre-Museum
Name:   Margaret Walsh
Telephone:  059 8633075
Date:   Thu 25th
Time:   19:30 - 20:30

Celbridge Historical Walking Tour
Join Tony Doohan for a guided tour of historical buildings and places in Celbridge. Please note that booking is essential: Book
online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by calling 087 0911 571. Please check our website for updates or changes.

Venue:   Meeting Point for start of Tour is Castletown Gates, Main Street, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:   Sun 28th  
Time:   14:00 - 15:00

The Fitzgerald Walk
Inviting everyone to Maynooth for a short walk to Carton House in order to commemorate the famous Fitzgerald local and national heritage.

Venue:   Assemble at St Mary's (C.o.I), Parson Street, Maynooth, Co. Kildare.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Maynooth Local History Group
Name:   Declan O’Connor
Telephone:  01 6286043
Date:   Sat 27th
Time:   14:30 - 15:45

Historical Talk
Join special guest Eoghan Corry for another one of his fascinating historical talks. Please note that booking is essential: Book online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by calling 087 0911571. Please check our website for updates or changes.

Venue:   Celbridge Library, St. Patrick's Park, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:   Thu 25th
Time:   19:30 - 21:30

Aspects of Castletown
A free, short lecture within the environs of Castletown House. Please refer to www.castletown.ie for more details. Vehicle
Access; Exit 6, M4, Celbridge West. Dublin Bus: 67 to Celbridge Main Street. West Wing Restaurant open in conjunction with house opening times please telephone 01 6279498 or e-mail castletown@thecaterers.ie for bookings

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Claire Hickey
Telephone:  01 6288252
Date:   Sat 27th
Time:  14:00 - 15:00

Tour of St. John’s Cemetery
Tour of St. John's Graveyard

Venue:   St. John's Cemetery, Athy.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Athy Heritage Centre-Museum
Name:   Margaret Walsh
Telephone:  059 8633075
Dates & Times: Sun 21st 14:00 - 16:00
  Thu 25th 14:00 - 16:00
  Sun 28th 14:00 - 16:00

New Abbey & its Ever Changing History
History of New Abbey House which dates back to the early 1500’s will be given by Collette Jordan, History Researcher. Some interesting newly discovered letters which throw some light on life in Kilcullen during the 1960's.

Venue:   Kilcullen Town Hall & Heritage Centre, Main Street, Kilcullen.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Kilcullen Heritage Group
Name:   Nessa Dunlea
Telephone:  087 2339610
Date:   Wed 24th
Time:   20:00 - 21:00

The Matt Goff Story
The story of Matt Goff will be told by his godson, Tom Malone, President of Leixlip GAA with Pat Burke Vice President. 

Venue:   Leixlip Library, Captains Hill, Leixlip
Cost:  Free
Organiser:  Leixlip Library
Name:   Joan O’Gorman
Telephone:  01 6060050
Date:   23rd August
Time:   19:30 -20:30

Forgotten Voices: The Great Irish Famine revealed through the Strokestown Estate Archive
Exhibition on the rich and varied Famine archive of Strokestown Estate in Co. Roscommon and its importance to historical research. 

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge
Cost:  Free
Organiser:  OPW-NUI Maynooth Archive & Research Centre at Castletown
Name:   Roisin Berry
Telephone:  01 7086690 / 01 6544222
Dates & Times:  20th August 10:00 – 17:00  
  21st August 10:00 – 17:00  
  23rd August 10:00 – 17:00  
  24th August 10:00 – 17:00  
  25th August 10:00 – 17:00  
  26th August 10:00 – 17:00  
  27th August 10:00 – 17:00  
  28th August 10:00 – 17:00  
 
The Church of the Oak - Slideshow of photographs of Kildare Town
Photographs of people and events of Kildare Town.

Venue:   Kildare Town Library, Claregate Street, Kildare Town
Cost:  Free 
Organiser:  Kildare Town Library
Telephone:  045 520235
Dates & Times:  22nd August 9:30 – 17:00
  23rd August 9:30 – 17:00
  24th August 9:30 – 17:00
  25th August 14:00 – 20:00
  26th August 9:30 – 17:00

Shackleton Lecture
A talk on the explorer Ernest Shackleton by Kevin Kenny

Venue:   Kildare Town Library, Claregate Street, Kildare Town
Cost:  Free 
Organiser:  Kildare Town Library
Name:   Nuala Hartnett
Telephone:  045 520235
Date:  25th August
Time:   19:00 – 20:00

Historic Town Walk
Historic Town Walk from Market Square to Carmelite/ White Abbey Graveyard

Venue:   Walk begins from outside the front doors of the Kildare Town Heritage Centre
Cost:  Free 
Organiser:  Kildare Town Heritage Centre
Telephone:  045 530672
Date:  28th August
Time:   13:00 – 14:00

A Rare & Second Hand Book Fair
This book fair shall also give people the opportunity to have their books valued.

Venue:   Upstairs in the Heritage Centre
Cost:  Free 
Organiser:  Kildare Town Heritage Centre
Telephone:  045 530672
Date:  28th August
Time:   12:30 – 16:30

MUSEUMS, GALLERIES & COLLECTIONS
Free Children’s Tours of Castletown House
Special Children's Tours of Castletown House with some period costumes available. Booking is essential as places are limited. Vehicle Access: Exit 6, M4, Celbridge West. Dublin Bus: 67 to Celbridge (Main Street).

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  OPW
Name:   Claire Hickey
Telephone: 01 6288252
Dates & Times: Sat 20th 12:00 - 13:00
  Sun 21st 12:00 - 13:00
  Tue 23rd 12:00 - 13:00
  Wed 24th 12:00 - 13:00
  Thu 25th 12:00 - 13:00
  Fri 26th 12:00 - 13:00
  Sat 27th 12:00 - 13:00
  Sun 28th 12:00 - 13:00

Evening Tours of Castletown House
Enjoy an evening tour of the beautiful interior rooms of Castletown House. Guided tours available 17.30, 18.15, and 19.00. Vehicle Access: Exit 6, M4, Celbridge West. Dublin Bus; 67 to Celbridge Main Street.

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Adults  €4.50, Concessions  €3.50, Family (2 Adult and 4 Children) €12.50. OPW Heritage Card, Irish    Georgian Society Card and Dublin Pass Card FREE entry.
Organiser:  OPW
Name:   Claire Hickey
Telephone:  01 6288252
Date:   Thu 25th
Time:   17:30 - 19:15

Free Tours of Castletown House
FREE guided tours of Irelands finest 18th century Palladian Style mansion. Visitors Reception opens at 10am with the last tour at 16.45. Tours limited to 25 per tour. No advanced reservations or group bookings available. Vehicle Access: Exit 6, M4, Celbridge West. Dublin Bus: 67 to Celbridge Main Street. West Wing Restaurant open in conjunction with House Opening Times: Telephone 01- 627-9498 or e-mail castletown@thecaterers.ie for reservations.

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Claire Hickey
Telephone:  01 6288252
Date:   Sat 20th
Time:   10:00 - 16:45

National Science Museum at Maynooth
Largest collection of scientific instruments on public display in Ireland and mostly manufactured in Ireland from 1880. Callan
collection on view. Ecclesiastical collection of vestments, plate, penal crosses etc. displayed. Empress of Austria vestments on view.

Venue:   St. Patrick's College, Maynooth.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Dr Niall Mc Keith
Telephone:  01 6286550
Dates & Times:  Sun 21st August 14:00 - 18:00
  Tue 23rd August 14:00 - 16:00
  Thu 25th August 14:00 - 16:00
  Sun 28th August 14:00 - 18:00

TRADITIONAL SKILLS 
Country Market
Weaving a traditional Irish Basket Demonstration, Traditional Home Baking Demonstration, alongside our usual market. Our weekly Market includes Home Baking, Jams, and Chutneys, knitting, jewellery, cards, soaps, bath bombs, felt, baskets, willow craft, seasonal vegetables, eggs and cafe.

Venue:   Friary Hall, Kildare Town.
Cost:  Free
Organiser:  Country Markets Ltd, Kildare Branch
Name:   Orla Delaney
Telephone:  087 7815236
Date:   Thu 25th August
Time:   10:00 - 12:00

Heritage Food and Craft Day
Fun day at the market with traditional Irish food for sampling and sale. Also crafts representing many different skills. Morning
coffee and tea with traditional Irish fare to view and sample. Ceol and craic and demos too.

Venue:   Naas Town Hall, Main St., Naas.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Naas Country Market
Name:  Hazel Gray
Telephone:  085 9435357 / 045860638
Date:   Fri 26th August
Time:  09:45 - 12:15

WILDLIFE
Bog of Allen Nature Centre Open Day
Explore IPCC's gardens and museum. Learn about IPCC's new lodge bog management plan and experience a bog woodland walk.

Venue:   Bog of Allen Nature Centre, Lullymore, Ratmangan.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Irish Peatland Conservation Council
Name:   Dr Catherine O'Connell and Nuala Madigan
Telephone:  045 860133
Date:   Sun 28th August
Time:   14:00 - 17:00

Pollardstown Fen Nature Walk
General nature walk within this unique nature reserve. The walk will take place on boardwalk and trackway. Booking required. Approx. 1km length.

Venue:   Pollardstown Fen Nature Reserve, Pollardstown.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  National Parks and Wildlife Service
Name:   Roy Thompson
Telephone:  045 534070
Date:   Wed 24th August
Time:   14:00 - 16:00

Straffan Butterfly Farm
Walk through a tropical greenhouse with magnificent butterflies flying all around you. Behind glass watch giant spiders and insects and scorpions. Learn all about butterflies in our educational section and see some extinct Irish species on display. There are also some giants of the butterfly world to be seen. Well worth a visit.

Venue:   Straffan Butterfly Farm, Ovidstown, Straffan.
Cost:   Adults  €8 Children - Free
Organiser:  Iris Fox
Telephone:  01 6271109
Dates & Times:  Sat 20th August 10:00 - 17:30
  Sun 21st August 10:00 - 17:30
  Mon 22nd August 10:00 - 17:30
  Tues 23rd August 10:00 - 17:30
  Wed 24th August 10:00 - 17:30
  Thur 25th August 10:00 - 17:30
  Fri 26th August 10:00 - 17:30
  Sat 27th August 10:00 - 17:30
  Sun 28th August 10:00 - 17:30

IWT Wild Watch Walk: Donadea Forest Adventure
David Corscadden will lead this family fun event exploring woodland and lake habitats. The IWT would like to thank the Heritage Council for supporting this event under the Heritage Education, Community & Outreach Scheme 2011.

Venue:   Car park, Donadea Forest., Donadea, Co. Kildare.
Cost:   A  €4 charge applies per car entering the forest.
Organiser:  Irish Wildlife Trust
Name:   Joanne Pender
Telephone:  01 8602839
Date:  Sat 20th August
Time:   13:00 - 14:30

IWT Wild Watch Walk: Straffan Butterfly Farm Tour
David Corscadden will lead us around the wonderful display of butterflies the farm has to offer and teach how to identify. The IWT would like to thank the Heritage Council for supporting this event under the Heritage Education, Community & Outreach Scheme 2011.

Venue:   Straffan Buttterfly Farm, Maynooth.
Cost:  €5 for adults and €4.25 for children
Organiser: Irish Wildlife Trust
Name:  Joanne Pender
Telephone:  01 8602839
Date:   Sat 27th August
Time:   13:00 - 15:00

Kids Bird Watching Bonanza
This event aims to introduce children to birdwatching by teaching basic skills and practising them in a fun, interactive way. Event includes a short introduction talk, mini bird identification race and quiz. All children must be accompanied by an adult.

Venue:   Donadea Forest Park, Donadea.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  BirdWatch Ireland Kildare Branch
Name:   Deirdre Moran
Telephone:  087 9935207
Date:   Sat 20th August
Time:   10:00 - 12:00

EVENTS FOR UNDER 12’S
Tours for Younger Visitors
Children's themed tour on medieval life. Contact Maynooth Castle for further details on this year's fun theme!

Venue:   Maynooth Castle, Maynooth.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Maynooth Castle
Name:   Guide Staff
Telephone: 01 6286744
Dates & Times: Sat 20th August 11:00 - 13:30
  Sun 21st August 11:00 - 13:30
  Sat 27th August 11:00 - 13:30
  Sun 28th August 11:00 - 13:30

Children’s Heritage Hunt
Fun activity inside the Heritage Centre and Museum.

Venue:   Athy Heritage Centre-Museum, Emily Sq. Athy.
Cost:   €1
Organiser:  Athy Heritage Centre-Museum
Name:   Margaret Walsh
Telephone:  059 8633075
Dates & Times: Sat 20th August 12:30 - 14:30
  Sun 21st August 12:30 - 14:30
  Mon 22nd August 14:30 - 16:00
  Tue 23rd August 14:30 - 16:00
  Wed 24th August 14:30 - 16:00
  Thu 25th August 14:30 - 16:00
  Fri 26th August 14:30 - 16:00
  Sat 27th August 12:30 - 14:30
  Sun 28th August 12:30 - 14:30

Sow & Grow
Children's workshop - Sow some seeds with us and then take them home and watch them grow. Please note that booking is essential: Book online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by calling 087 0911 571. Please check our website for updates or changes.

Venue:   The Orchard Garden Centre, Dublin Road, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911571
Date:   Sat 27th August
Time:   11:00 - 12:00

Kids Cinema
Come and enjoy the magical animated film "The Secret of Kells", which will be screened in Celbridge Youth Cafe, but book early as numbers limited. Please note that booking is essential: Book online @ www.celbridgecommunitycouncil.ie or by
calling 087 0911 571. First screening starts @ 13.45. Second screening starts @ 15.30. Running time is 75mins. All children MUST be accompanied by an adult and strictly no food or drink permitted. Please check our website for updates or changes.

Venue:   Celbridge Youth Cafe, The Mill Community Centre, Main Street, Celbridge.
Cost:  Free
Organiser:  Celbridge Community Council
Name:   Yolande Barrett
Telephone:  087 0911 571
Date:   Wed 24th August
Time:   13:30 - 17:00

Children’s Art Workshops in Castletown House
Take part in our weekly Sunday morning art workshops at Castletown House. Suitable for children between 5 and 12 years of age. Booking is essential as places are limited. Adult supervision is required. Vehicle Access: Exit 6, M4, Celbridge West. Dublin Bus: 67 to Celbridge Main Street

Venue:   Castletown House, Celbridge.
Cost:   Free
Organiser:  OPW
Name:   Claire Hickey
Telephone: 01 6288252
Dates & Times: Sun 21st & Sun 28th August 11:00 - 12:00

Traditional Tales
Traditional tales read by Carmel and suitable for very young children

Venue:   Kildare Town Library, Claregate Street, Kildare Town
Cost:  Free 
Organiser:  Kildare Town Library
Telephone:  045 520235
Date:  26th August
Time:   11:00 – 11.30

Heritage Week 2011 in Co. Kildare promises to be an exciting and eventful one.  Check out the timetable for your local area

August 11, 2011

ENLARGEMENT OF THE COURT-HOUSE AT NAAS

Leinster Express 19 March 1859

Enlargement of the Court-house at Naas

To the Editor of the Leinster Express
 Sir, - Will you allow me through the medium of the public press, to call attention to  a circumstance which occurred at the Meeting of the Grand Jury of the County of Kildare, previous to the last assizes. On the 22nd of January last, the associated cesspayers at a Presentment Sessions held at Naas, for the County at Large, rejected an application for the sum of £1400 to improve and enlarge the court-house there, not because they (the associated cesspayers), grudged the amount, but on account of the county being heavily taxed just now, in consequence of the very large sum imposed on the cesspayers by the enlargement of the gaol at Naas. The taxes have been nearly doubled within the last few years, and the cesspayers think, and reasonably think, that the improvement of the court-house might be deferred for a little time till they become accustomed to those heavy imposts; or until the cess is paid equally and more equitably upon owner and occupier; for, I believe, and the cesspayers of the county generally think, there is little chance under the present grand jury system of their ever obtaining relief. But this is not all the cesspayers have to complain of, they ask why was the matter laid before them at all, if they had the power to reject it? Why place them in such a ludicrous position? This, Sir, is taxation without representation with a witness!
I am, Mr. Editor, yours &c.,
A Working Man.
P.S. – I send you my name and address, you may make use of it or not as you think proper.

[In giving publicity to the foregoing letter, which has been fully authenticated, it is only fair to state that the charge for the enlargement of Naas Gaol, (required, in consequence of discontinuing Athy as a second assizes town,) is to run over a period of ten years, 20 instalments of £450 each, without interest. £500 had been already granted for enlarging the court-house, which the judges and others had declared to be inconvenient, as well as insufficient for the public business; the improvements requisite were found, upon the plans proposed, to be much more expensive than at first anticipated, and £900 additional, making up £1400, for the court-house were granted at last assizes. We suppose this sum will also be borrowed, and levied over a lengthened period. The greatest hardship, in our opinion, arises from Naas court-house being so much used at Assizes, with business altogether unconnected with the County; cases being sent there for trial from its contiguity to the metropolis, and being the last on Circuit. Not alone are the cesspayers put to this additional expense, to meet the convenience of those who do not contribute in any way to the county expenditure, but the jurors are often kept from their homes and their business pursuits, at considerable loss and expense, upon trails of records and squabbles between parties, who have no connection with the county or its interests. In any new law – and we concur with the writer that a better Grand Jury system is required – special attention should be given to these matters, with a view that suitors from a distance, should be required to compensate parties engaged with their affairs; if some allowance be not made from the public treasury towards the expenses incurred in affording court-house accommodation to persons having no identity with Kildare. Mr. Cogan is, for instance, a Barrister as well as an able and excellent representative, and we feel assured it is only necessary to direct his attention to the subject, to have justice done to his constituents at the proper time and in the proper quarter. – EDT.]

A letter to the Leinster Express 19 March 1859 on the proposed enlargement of the Courthouse at Naas

August 06, 2011

KILDARE MAN HONOURED

Leinster Leader 7 November 1931


Kildare Man Honoured
District Judges Named Butte Man as Co. Commissioner on First Ballot

Tim Kearney, widely known Butte man and former county commissioner, was selected by the three district court judges to fill the county commissioner’s post left vacant by the death last week of Thomas P. Merkle.
The selection of Mr. Kearney came on the first ballot, Judge J. J. Lynch and Frank L. Riley voting for him and Judge W. E. Carroll voting for Mrs. Merkle, widow of the deceased incumbent, Judge Carroll asked that a record of his vote be placed on the minutes and then voted for Mr. Kearney so that any legal question of the selection would be cleared by the unanimous vote of the three judges.
Mr. Kearney, an old time resident of Butte, was elected county commissioner in November 1924, and served a six-year term from January, 1925, to December 31st, 1930, inclusive acting as Chairman of the Board for the last year years of his term. He was defeated for renomination to the post by Mr. Merkle at the last primary election. Of late he has been a deputy county assessor.
News of Mr. Kearney’s appointment was received with general satisfaction throughout the city and particularly in the courthouse. “Mr. Kearney’s excellent record as a county commissioner and his unfailing interest in county finances and the welfare of the taxpayer made him a favourable candidate,” Judge Lynch as spokesman for the selection board, declared.
Mr. Kearney came to Butte in 1903, a sturdy young Irishman fresh from the Emerald Isle. He went to work in the Butte mines, continuing as a miner until 1911, when he was employed by the Butte Electrical Railway Company, an organisation with which he remained until 1924. In 1924 he was elected county commissioner, assuming office for the six year term on the first Monday in January, 1925. During his administration the main highways in Silver Bow country were built, whilst at the same time the debt was reduced from 1,400,000 dols to 480,000 dols and the tax levy cut to 3.75 mills.
“I intend to continue to work for the best interests of the citizens of Silver Bow county,” Mr. Kearney declared.
Mr. Kearney is a brother of Mrs. Taylor, Main St., Naas.

A story from the Leinster Leader of 7 November 1931 on the honouring of Kildare man, Tim Kearney, in Butte, Montana

August 05, 2011

STORY OF KILDARE DRAMATIST

Leinster Leader 21 November 1931

Story of Kildare Dramatist
Lives in tenement. Rise to fame.

Boot repairer, ironworker, hotel waiter, comedian, soldier, timber worker, labourer, and now song writer, playwright and actor. This is the remarkable record of Mr. Daniel Gibbons, a hitherto unknown figure in one of Dublin’s backlands. His play, “After All That,” produced at the Abbey Theatre, Dublin, last week, is to be staged as a benefit performance in the Round Room of the Mansion House, Dublin, the arrangements for which are to be carried through a special Committee headed by the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Senator Alfred Byrne.
 Mr. Gibbons lives with his wife and four children at 47 Upper Mount Pleasant Avenue, Dublin. He is at present unemployed, and he devotes his enforced leisure hours to play and song writing. “It as been an uphill battle all along, but we managed to weather through, though our plight has been almost overwhelming,” he said to an “Irish Press” representative on Wednesday.
 “My age is thirty-four and I have been married seventeen years. Of a family of twelve five are living. My eldest daughter, aged fifteen, is at present with a touring company, and my wife, four children and I are living in this one-roomed apartment.”
Could not buy paper!
“This, however, is a palace to our last abode – a dark, back room in a tenement property at Fitzwilliam Lane. It was there that I wrote “After All That,” a story of the efforts made by British ex-servicemen to secure their pension rights. It was in 1925 that I wrote the play, and I was so poor that I could not afford to buy paper. So I scribbled it on odd sheets of paper, the backs of envelopes and cigarette packets. It took me twelve months to complete it, and even then I was not satisfied with it and I spent a considerable time on improvements. I had not even seen a play before I wrote this one.
 “This is the only play that has been staged. Another one called “Under a New Flag,” was criticised by the Abbey Theatre experts, who informed me that it was full of vigour and liveliness, but they added they thought I had chosen a subject which was unsuitable. Other plays I have written are: - “Under Cover,” a three-act comedy; “The White Horse,” a one-act comedy; “The Missing Link,” a one-act comedy; and “The Pal,” a one-act tragedy. I am at present engaged writing three more plays, and with the encouragement I am receiving I am hopeful that brighter days are in store for us,” he said.
Mansion House Production
From an old chest Mr. Gibbons produced his manuscripts, and added, “Some of my first songs were written for my eldest daughter, Gaby, who is now a comedienne. I was on the stage myself for a while, but the ‘talkies’ gave me a knock, and I found it impossible to secure engagements.”
 Mr. Gibbons is a native of Kildare. He is self-educated, for he left school when he was eleven.

A story from the Leinster Leader of 21 November 1931 on the Kildare-born dramatist Daniel Gibbons


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2