« Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal Home »


NEWINGTON HOUSE

Newington House

James Durney

Newington House is in the townland of Christianstown (Ord. S. 17) and the parish of Feihcullen, which is partly in the barony of East Offaly, but chiefly in that of Connell. Feighcullen comprises 3,835 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. According to the Tithe Applotment Books of 1826 Newington House, the residence of Samuel Neale, comprised 131.2.0 ARP with a rateable value of £13.5s.41/2d. In the entry for Feighcullen in Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of 1837 ‘the gentlemen’s seats are Newington’ House, the residence of Samuel Neale, Esq. According to Griffith’s Valuation of 1853 the occupier of Christianstown was Sarah E. Neale and the lessor Samuel Neale, whose house, offices and land comprised approximately 507 acres at an annual rateable valuation of £414.
The Kildare Observer of 22 September 1883 carried an advertisement for a midwife, which referred to Joseph Manly Neale, Esq., M.D., Newington House, as Honorary Secretary of the Robertstown and Kilmeague Dispensary District. In 1887 J. Manly Neale, Newington House, was nominated as a land valuer by the Irish Land Commission. In April 1899 Dr. J.M. Neale was appointed warden of the Robertstown Dispensary District. Dr. Neale seemed to be a collector of archaeological artefacts as the Journal of the Co. Kildare Archaeological Society mentioned, on two separate occasions, that he had in his ‘possession’ a granite cap or top-stone of a sculptured Celtic cross and ‘a panel belonging to the Wellesley monument, which was carried off, and is now used as an ornament in the garden’.
The 1901 census returns for Newington – a first class house with twenty rooms – are as follows: Joseph Manly Neale (63); Irish Church; head of the family, who was born in Co. Kildare. His wife was born in Dublin. They had two daughters and one son – Samuel (23) – all born in Co. Kildare. A series of advertisements and meadow sales from 1910 to 1928 established that Newington was the residence of J.M. Neale in 1910 and Samuel Neale from 1911. It is assumed then that J.M. Neale died before the 1911 census as in the returns Samuel was described as a farmer and head of the family, while his mother was described as a widow.
Samuel Neale, husband of Norah Harriette, died in Dublin on 21 March 1947. The Leinster Leader of 29 March 1947 carried a ‘Preliminary notice to creditors.’

'In the goods of Samuel Neale, late of Newington, Newbridge, in the County of Kildare, Gentleman, deceased.
All persons claiming to be creditors of the above-named deceased, who died on 21st March, 1947, are hereby requested to forward particulars of their claims (in writing) forthwith to the undersigned Solicitors for the Exequtrix.
Dated this 26th day of March, 1947. Brown & McCann, Solicitors, Naas and 23 Anglesea Street, Dublin.'

Mrs. Samuel Neale was a prominent member of the Kildare Archaeological Society until her death. Newington House was sold and later demolished and a new residence built on the property.

A potted history of Newington House, the residence of the Neale family for over 130 years


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2