« Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal Home »


MOORE ABBEY FOUNDATION

Leinster Leader, August 18th 1951

Convalescent Home for Ladies
 
New Moore Abbey Foundation
 
Tucked away in the shadows of the great tree of Moore Abbey, which was renowned for the beauty of its gardens, is St. Theresa’s new residential and convalescent home for ladies, which was opened on Wednesday, the Feast of the Assumption.
The home will be run by the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Two of the first number of residents were from Scotland and over 70 inquiries have already been received.
   Once the residence and offices of the estate agent to Moore Abbey, originally owned by Lord Drogheda, Rev. Mother Finbar, head of the Moore Abbey home where the noble work of the Sisters for epileptic female patients is being carried out, saw that the building though fallen into disrepair, could be remodelled to suit her purpose-the establishment of a residence for ladies.
Ideally located and close to Monasterevan Square and bus stop. The building was taken over in 1948, and less than a year ago Mother Finbar, with characteristic thoroughness, laid her plans in the hands of Mr. J. Sweeney contractor, Portarlington.
The building was reconstructed to take advantage of the offices, dairy and servant’s quarters, to enlarge and provide additional apartments, which now illustrates what can be achieved within the framework of a design that is modern, practical and imaginative.
   All of the 16 airy bedrooms, which includes 3 doubles, have a pleasant view and can accommodate from 20 to 25 residents. Furnished and carpeted with excellent good taste, the rooms are decorated in restful shades of green and cream, relieved with prints and plaques. They are equipped with all the necessary requisites, including night and reading lamps, electric lighted, central heated and hot and cold water laid on.
    One of the rooms which has a vault shape ceiling, is a copy of those in Moore Abbey and was untouched. There are 4 well-appointed bathrooms.
     On the ground floor the spacious dining room, the attractive sitting and reading rooms produce a cheerful, peaceful atmosphere, which is part of the residence. The front windows overlook a terrace and well-arranged flower beds, while at the back the laying of rockeries is in progress.
      Reconstruction work on a further wing, which will be used, it is understood, by the staff, is also being carried out at present. The staff will be chiefly drawn from the Moore Abbey Home, as the occasion demands.
    Founded by Canon Pierre Joseph Tristpo (called the St. Vincent de Paul of Belgium) in 1803, they have Novitaties in Belgium and England. Mother Finbar was one of the first four members of the community to set foot in Moore Abbey.

 

The Leinster Leader of August 1951 reports on the opening of a Convalescent Home for Ladies in Moore Abbey...Our thanks to Roy O'Brien


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2