« Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal Home »


GAA FOUNDER RECALLED IN NAAS

Liam Kenny
 
GAA founder recalled in Naas
 
A plaque has been erected on the Leinster Leader premises, South Main
Street, Naas, recalling John Wyse Power, Editor 1883/84 who was one of the
seven founders of the Gaelic Athletic Association who attended the inaugural
meeting in Thurles on 1st November 1884. A native of Waterford, Wyse
Power had a lifelong involvement in nationalist politics and journalism. He
took up the editorship of the Leader in summer 1883 and a year later
answered the invitation from Michael Cusack to participate in the foundation
of the GAA. More information from Stan Hickey or Liam Kenny at
liamkenny99@gmail.com
 
 
 
 

A plaque has been erected on the Leinster Leader premises in Naas recalling John Wyse Power, Editor 1883/84...Our thanks to Liam Kenny


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2