« Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal Home »


Some Naas Anniversaries to recall in 2007

Some Naas Anniversaries to recall in 2007 – the Group will be featuring some of the events identified below in its programme during the year. 

 Stan Hickey and Liam Kenny

 

 Rory Og O’Moore and Cormack Mac Cormacke with 140 men run amok in Naas burning over 700 thatched houses.

 Naas again burned! This time by Colonel Preston with 7,000 infantry and 1,000 cavalry on his way to Carlow.

 Completion of Naas Courthouse (but new façade in 1859).

 Catholic parish church opened on Sallins Road. Ancient devotion to St. David recognised in name of ‘ Our Lady & St. David’.

 St. Corban’s cemetery opened on Dublin Road.

 First GAA club in Naas founded in Town Hall (look out for plaque).

Last timetabled passenger train to Naas station (where Tesco supermarket now stands).  Goods and rare excursion trains operated for a further 12 years.

 

General Election – Kildare had a high powered representation going into election with TDs Ger Sweetman (Kill), Minister for Finance; Billy Norton (Naas), Tanaiste and Minister for Industry & Commerce, and Tom Harris (Caragh), Ware of Independence veteran.

Kingswear factory on Newbridge Road opened – key employer of young people in mid-Kildare for decades after.

Pastoral boundary changes: an area to the east of the town (including the Hospital and Ballycane) which historically had been in Eadestown parish and the Archdiocese of Dublin was transferred to Naas parish and the Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin.

Restoration of Naas canal branch.

Murtagh’s corner landmark premises demolished (some NLHG members maintained an overnight vigil!)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

[Compiled by Stan Hickey & Liam Kenny]

Some Naas Anniversaries to recall in 2007 compiled by Stan Hickey and Liam Kenny


Powered by
Movable Type 3.2