Walk past Deey Bridge with its lock and adjacent level crossing. Here the canal is sandwiched between road (out of sight) and railway. The route continues straight to Pike Bridge where a restoration scheme rebuilt the wharf, which served Carton Estate, the estate of the Dukes of Leinster who were the premier peers among the Irish nobility. A well-placed seat here gives an opportunity for a rest about half way between Leixlip and Maynooth. A curious structure to the south of the canal is the Connolly Obelisk - an extravaganza of arches and spires built in 1793 in honour of Speaker Connolly of Castletown House near Celbridge. Louisa Bridge Connolly’s Folly THE ROYAL CANAL 15