Behind the Silken Thomas premises is the site and last remaining tower of the 12th century Fitzgerald Castle. The Castle was once one of the most important Castles of the Normans in Leinster. In the 1790’s Lord Edward Fitzgerald lived at Leinster Lodge in the Castle bawn. The Fitzgerald’s took advantage of Kildare’s location as a frontier town between the English Pale and the Gaelic Irish Territory to increase their power and influence.
Last remaining tower of Kildare Castle
- Photo Mario Corrigan