St. Brigid’s Cathedral is located on the original grounds of St. Brigid’s wooden church. Between 1223 and 1230 the present Cathedral was built. It was semi-ruinous by the year 1500, derelict by 1649, partially rebuilt in 1686 and finally restored to its present form from 1875 – 1896. Its environs include a Round Tower and a high cross. Major Restoration works took place in 1996.
May – September
Mon. – Sat. 10am – 1pm & 2pm – 5pm
Sunday 2pm – 5pm
Please note the Cathedral closes October – April
Groups wishing to access the Cathedral outside of these times, please contact us at Kildare Town Heritage Centre for information.
Some examples of stone sculptures inside St. Brigid’s Cathedral:
skull and crossbones symbolising that ‘in the midst of life we are in death’
an unusual ‘indulgenced’ carving
Síle-na-gCíoch on the Wellesley altar tomb
stone sculpture photos – H. Jackson February 2010