« June 2006 |
| August 2006 »
July 31, 2006
AN TOSTAL SOUVENIR PROGRAMME 1953 - CHAPTER 19
THE NATIONAL STUD
TULLY was purchased by Colonel W. Hall-Walker, later Lord Wavertree, as a racing stable about 1900. Shortly afterwards, believing it was more suited to the breeding and rearing of thoroughbred horses, he converted it into a Stud. He spent some years acquiring a collection of foundation mares which were to become of almost priceless value. The descendants of these first mares have had a profound influence on the modern racehorse. The winners of many English and Irish classics have been bred at Tully.
In 1915 Lord Wavertree decided to give up his interest in the Stud and offered it to the Government as a gift, to form a National Stud. This offer was accepted. The thoroughbreds and all the valuable equipment of house and farm finally became the property of the Government of the day. Managed first by Sir Henry Greer, the National Stud flourished and in twenty years the yearlings alone brought in £250,000 in revenue. Later the Stud was managed by Mr. Noble Johnson, who was succeeded by Mr. Peter Burrell. The National Stud continued its production of high-class horses until 1943 when the stock was taken to England and the property was taken over by the Irish Government. From 1922 to 1943 the English Government had paid an agreed sum in lieu of rent to the Irish Government.
On January 1st, 1944, the Irish Government took possession of Tully and until bloodstock could be purchased it was farmed and grazed with cattle.
The Irish National Stud Company was formed and the National Stud Act passed the Dail in August, 1945. The breeding of high-class thoroughbreds was to be the sole business of the National Stud at Tully which was to make available to small Irish breeders sires of the best class at reasonable fees, and so improve the thoroughbred strain in Ireland. Sires were also to stand at centres through the country other than Tully. A limited number of high-class brood mares was to be purchased to maintain an annual supply of stock for future breeding. These thoroughbreds after a racecourse test were to be used as sires or brood mares if of sufficient racing merit.
H.E. the President of Ireland graciously consented to allow this stock to race in his name and colours. The National Stud is not directly under the Department of Agriculture.
The first purchase made by the Directors was the famous Royal Charger. He has been very successful, and his progeny are still winning on the racecourses of Europe and the U.S.A. Other sires purchased are Preceptic, Blackrock and Whitehall. A number of first-class thoroughbred mares have also been purchased.
The most famous sire—Tulyar—has been purchased for £250,000, and promises to fulfil the highest hopes of the founders of the National Stud.
Major C. C. Hall is racing manager to H.E. the President of Ireland and is also the resident manager of Tully Stud.
CLASSED as being unique in the world the Japanese Gardens are adjoining the National Stud and are its property. Planned and devised by Col. W. Hall-Walker—later Lord Wavertree—they were built by the Japanese Eida and his son Minoru. The Gardens cover an area of about one and a quarter acres; they cost £38,000 and took four years—1906-1910—to complete.
They are planned to symbolise the Life of Man from the Cradle to the Grave. The scheme of the planting of trees and shrubs stress this symbol ; Spring, the start of life, when the cherry trees bloom; Autumn, the end of life, with the maple leaves coming to their full glory. Irish and English yew and box are interspersed for the art of topiary. There are old trees from four to six hundred years old. A fascinating object is the “Village” built of lava from the Japanese sacred mountain, Fusiyama.
Upwards of 20,000 visitors see the Gardens each season.
Chapter 19 of the An Tostal Programme of 1953 is dedicated to the Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens at Tully.
Posted by mariocorrigan at 12:16 PM
July 16, 2006
AN TOSTAL SOUVENIR PROGRAMME 1953 - CHAPTER 18 Parts 6 and 7
THE WALLPAPER FACTORY
THE two main approaches to the ancient town of Kildare are guarded by two handsome and modern buildings of noble proportions These are the McGee Barracks on the eastern side, while on the western side nobody can fail to notice the modern factory erected in 1936 by Wallpapers Ltd. This striking building set in ideal surroundings is an indication of the important work, in so far as it affects every Irish householder, that is carried on within.
With the industrial revival in this country, the fact was grasped at a fairly early stage that wallpaper should be produced in Ireland. With this end in view Wallpapers Ltd., was incorporated in June, 1936, and as a result of intense efforts, wallpaper was first printed in Kildare on 1st, January, 1937. Since that date, in spite of serious difficulties, particularly during the emergency period, wallpaper has been turned out consistently, while employment has been given to upwards of one hundred workers drawn from the Kildare area.
Fashions in wallpaper change frequently, but these changes, which are seasonal, mean that the manufacturers have constantly to alter their colourings and designs, with a view to keeping the homes of the land brightly and cheerfully decorated, and as a result Wallpapers Limited has produced hundreds of designs and colourings in Wall and Ceiling Papers and Borders since the Company was established.
The manufacture of wallpaper is in the main a paper staining process, the bulk of the colouring being through the blending of chrome colours, which are mixed with fixatives. Simple as the finished product may seem its production is highly technical, calling for the use of a complicated and expensive type of plant, and also for skilful and perfectly trained operatives.
Irishmen have proved themselves most adaptable to the delicate processes which are necessary to produce good wallpaper, and Irishmen, and Kildare men in particular, may well be proud of the success that has been obtained, as a result of their development of the Wallpaper Industry.
THE CHILLING FACTORY
THE Chilling Factory is one of Kildare’s modern industries. The chilled meat processing is comparatively new to Ireland. In the early summer of 1952 work began in the Kildare factory and about two hundred prime beasts have been processed weekly ever since. Upwards of twenty specially trained men are employed. Many more are employed in maintenance, in haulage, and in the processing of the by-products. There are about thirty such factories in Ireland.
Kildare and its neighbouring counties are famed for their rich grazing lands. The cattle for the Chilling Factory come off these lands and so the best of prime beef is used. As a result of the chilling industry the cattle trade has improved throughout the Midlands.
The chilled meat is exported to Britain and America. As the industry progresses trade with the U.S.A. will develop much more. Special transport is provided by road and sea. The hygienic handling of the meat ensures that it arrives at its destination in perfect condition. Thus Irish Beef keeps its reputation of being the best in the world, and the Chilling Industry will become a benefit to its enterprising founders. [, - sic] as well as to the town and district of Kildare.
The Kildare Chilling Factory is completely Irish owned and directed.
[A dresssed meat industry was begun at J. J. Conlans premises at bride Street in 1941 for the preparation of meat for the export market during the war. The new Chilling Factory on the Dublin Road was opened in 1967. - Mario Corrigan]
The final parts of Chapter 18 of the An Tostal Programme of 1953 are dedicated to the Wallpaper factory and the Chilling Factory.
Posted by mariocorrigan at 10:00 PM