SIR EDWARD A. FANSHAWE, K.C.B.

by jdurney on January 26, 2012

Leinster Leader, November 22, 1952
Sir Edward A. Fanshawe, K.C.B.

The passing of Lieut-General Sir Edward Arthur Fanshawe, K.C.B, on Thursday week last, at his residence, Rathmore, Naas in his 94th year, removes a well-known and highly respected figure from the county.
The County Kildare Hunt loses one of its oldest and most esteemed members, even previous to the first World War, while serving for years with the Horse Artillery at Newbridge, he was one of its most active and enthusiastic supporters. This interest continued when he came to reside at Rathmore and his support was so highly valued that he was made an honorary member of the Hunt; a unique distinction.
Sir Edward was the eldest of three soldier brothers from Oxfordshire, who all became Generals. Educated at Winchester he entered the Royal Artillery in 1878 and soon saw active service in the Afghan War (1878-80). In 1895 he was in the Suakin Expedition including the action at Hasheen.
On July 5th, 1893 at Great Connell Church, Newbridge, he married Francis Rose, youngest daughter of Sir James Higginson, K.C.B. She died in 1950, and they are survived by their three sons all born at Newbridge. Their daughter who was the wife of General Sir Eric de Burgh, K.C.B., O.B.E., D.S.O., of Naas, died in 1934.
In September 1914, he was sent to France to command the Royal Artillery of the First Division of the Expeditionary Forces in place of Brigadier General Findlay, killed in action. He was at once in the thick of the fighting on the Aisne, 1st Ypres, etc. He was awarded the C.B., and promoted to the rank of Major-General from June, 1915. Shortly afterwards he was ordered to the Darndelles and arrived at Sulva on 23rd August, and took over command of the 11th Division from General Hammersley. On arrival at Marseilles in 1916 he went to Bailleul to command the 5th Corps, was mentioned in dispatches and received the K.C.B. He was promoted to Lieut-General in 1919.
On the occasion of his farewell to his command on French soil in 1918, Sir Edward was quoted as being “a no office General” and his successes and great popularity were in no small measure due to the fact that he insisted on seeing things for himself and was more often in the front line trenches than in his own Staff office.
He was placed on the retired list in 1923, and later in the same year he was appointed Col. Commandant of the Royal Artillery and in 1930 Col. Commandant Royal Horse Artillery. He also held numerous foreign decorations.
Sir Edward was laid to rest on November 15th, beside his wife in Maudlins Cemetery, Naas, following the graveside service, conducted by the Rector, the Rev. Precentor E. W. Clover, B.D., his old friend. The funeral by special request was very quiet. The Kildare Hunt was represented by Brig., the Baron de Robeck, C.B.E., and there were many exquisite wreaths.
A veteran of war, but yet the soul of sincerity and kindness he was a true Christian at heart and friends and acquaintances are left to mourn a great gentleman and a fine character.

The obituary of Sir Edward A. Fanshawe, K.C.B. from the Leinster Leader of 22 November 1952

Previous post:

Next post: