RATHANGAN : ITS CHURCHES AND SCHOOLS [Pamphlet]

by ehistoryadmin on July 28, 2020

RATHANGAN : Its Churches and Schools [Pamphlet]

In 1955, a new girls primary national school was constructed in New Street, Rathangan. This is Bun Scoil Bhríde today. Buchan, Kane and Foley were the Architects with Moran Brothers of Tallaght, Dublin the building contractors. Under the guidance of An t-Athair P. MacSuibhne P.P. (well known historian also), the new build replaced previous schools in the Rathangan area.

A pamphlet was published to mark the occasion which is digitised here: RATHANGAN Its Churches and Schools

This publication includes an outline history of Rathangan, a history of the churches in the town (the Church of the Assumption was being constructed at the same time), along with a short history of schools in the Rathangan area since the early 19th century. This publication also includes some advertisements from the suppliers of materials to the school, along with background information from architect Frank Foley on the design principles of the school. The school was planned to provide accommodation for 372 pupils, with nine classrooms, domestic economy room, assembly hall, teachers rooms, cloakrooms and toilets.

The building is also listed on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage today: https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/11810041/bun-scoil-bride-new-street-rathangan-rathangan-ed-rathangan-co-kildare  

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: