KILCULLEN- 1846,Slater’s Commerical Directory of Ireland

by niamh mccabe on June 27, 2006

Kilcullen
 
          Or Kilcullen-Bridge, is a market town, partly in the parish of Carnalway, barony of South Naas, but chiefly in the barony and parish of Kilcullen, county of Kildare, 27 miles S. S. W. from Dublin, 11 ½ N. E. by N. from Athy, and 7 S. by W. from Naas; situated on the main road between the cities of Dublin and Cork, and on the banks of the Liffey, at a short distance from the great bog of Allan. The river is crossed by a good stone bridge of six arches, whence there is a fine view of the mansion of William Henry Carter, Esq. and of the remains of New Abbey, erected by Sir. Rowland Eustace, in 1460, for Franciscan friars. Old Kilcullen, now but a sorry hamlet, was formerly a walled town, and conferred the title of baron on Thomas Fitz Eustace, afterwards Viscount Baltinglass. The ruins, which crown a hill within about a mile of the south bank of the Liffey, consist of part of an old monastery, an ancient round tower, and many curious sculptured stones.
The places of worship, in connection with the town, are the parish churches of Kilcullen and Carnalway, situated about a mile and a half in opposite directions from the town, two plain buildings, and a small but neat Roman Catholic chapel. The charitable institutions are a dispensary, and a small fever hospital, and a well conducted school, in connection with the Church Education Society. The market is held on Saturday, and the fairs on February 2nd, March 25th, June 22nd, September 8th and 29th, October 2nd, and December 8th. The population of the parish, in 1841, was 3,430, and the town 1,056 of that number.
 
POST OFFICE, William Henry, Delaney, Post Master.- Letters from DUBLIN arrive every afternoon at half-past one and night at eleven, and are despatched thereto every morning at two and noon at twelve.- Letters from CORK arrive every morning at two, and are despatched thereto every night at eleven.-Letters from WATERFORD arrive every morning at ten minutes before one, and are despatched thereto every night at ten minutes before eleven.
 
PLACES OF WORSHIP
And their Ministers.
PARISH CHURCH, Kilcullen- Rev. Wm. N. Sherrard, rector, the Glebe.
PARISH CHURCH, Carnallaway- Rev. Thomas H. Torrens, rector, the Glebe.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL- Rev. John Murtagh, parish priest; Rev. John Tyrell, curate.
 
PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS, &c.
CONSTABULARY BARRACKS- Denison Hilliary, head constable.
DISPENSARY- Marmaduke Bell, medical attendant.
FEVER HOSPITAL- Marmaduke Bell, medical attendant.
SESSION’S HOUSE- George Egan, clerk.
 
COACHES, CARS, &c.
Passing through Kilcullen
To DUBLIN, the Royal Day Mail (from Cork), every day at half-past twelve, and the Night Mail, every morning at two- the Royal Mail (from Waterford), every morning at ten minutes before one; all go through Naas and Rathcool.
To DUBLIN, a Coach (from Waterford), every evening at half-past five-a Caravan (from Dunlavin), every morning at six, and one from Carlow at ten; all go through Naas and Rathcool.
To CARLOW, a Caravan (from Dublin), every afternoon at half-past five; goes through Castle-Dermot.
To CORK, the Royal Day Mail (from Dublin), every afternoon at half-past one; goes through Athy, Stradbally, Abbeyleix, Rathdowney, Templemore, Thurles, Cashel, Caher, Mitchelstown, Fermoy and Rathcormic- and the Night Mail, every night at eleven; goes through Timolin, Castle-Dermot, Carlow, Leighlin, Kilkenny, Callan, Clonmel, Clogheen, Kilworth, Fermoy, Rathcormic and Glenmire.
To DUNLAVIN, a Caravan (from Dublin), every evening at twenty minutes past six.
To WATERFORD, the Royal Mail (from Dublin), every night at ten minutes before eleven, and a Day Coach every forenoon at half-past eleven; both go through Athy, Castle-Comer, Kilkenny, Knocktopher and Ballyhale.
 
CARRIERS
To and from DUBLIN and CASHEL, Carts, for the conveyance of goods, pass through Kilcullen at uncertain periods, but have no house or office of call.
 
CONVEYANCE BY RAILWAY
The nearest Station is the KILDARE, on the Dublin and Cashel line, about eight English miles distant.

A description of the town of Kilcullen, along with places of worship, public institutions and coaches and caravans serving the area.

[Compiled by Mario Corrigan; typed and edited by Niamh McCabe; final edit Dee O’Brien]

 

Previous post:

Next post: