ALLENWOOD GENERATING STATION (1966 Booklet)

by ehistoryadmin on July 9, 2020

ALLENWOOD GENERATING STATION (1966 Booklet & Demolition In 1997)

Construction began on Allenwood power station in 1949, with the first power set becoming operational in 1952. It was designed to use peat fuel produced on the adjoining bogs at Timahoe.

This booklet produced by the Electricity Supply Board (ESB) and reprinted in 1966; includes designs, photographs and technical information on the station. An original copy is part of the Local Studies Collections of Kildare Library Service in Newbridge. Allenwood Generating Station Booklet From 1966

Allenwood  Generating Station helped support hundreds of jobs in the surrounding community (including with Bórd na Móna) right up to the decision to de-commission the plant in the early 1990s. The cooling tower dominated the landscape of mid-Kildare for decades, until the demolition in late June 1997. This dramatic event received much media attention, with the front page photograph on the front page of the Leinster Leader of 26th June 1997 highlighting the historic nature of the demise of Allenwood Generation Station.

 

 

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: