A NAME THAT WILL LIVE ON

by ehistoryadmin on July 18, 2014

LEINSTER LEADER 16 August 1975 

A NAME THAT WILL LIVE ON

THE DEATH took place on Wednesday last in Naas Hospital of Miss Anne Murtagh proprietress of the long-established public house at Murtagh’s corner, Naas. She was 75 and had been ill for some time.

Despite her illness she managed the public house until early this year. The business was established by her grandfather, John Murtagh, in 1903, and it soon became one of the foremost in Naas. It had a thriving grocery section, a restaurant and was a guesthouse which was particularly favoured by race goers. In recent years the business was confined to the bar.

After the death some years ago of her brother John, Miss Murtagh managed the premises with her sister Elizabeth, and latterly by herself after her sister’s death. She was the last surviving member of her family. Her passing marks the end of a long association between the Murtaghs and Naas whatever the future of the premises – now closed down – Murtagh’s corner will remain as a placename keeping the association alive. Miss Murtagh took a keen interest in local affairs and was a member (and later a patron) of the former Naas Choral Society, one of the first choirs to perform on Radio Eireann.

The remains were removed to the parish Church. Rev. Fr O’Connell. C.C. was celebrant of Requiem Mass and officiated at the funeral in St. Corban’s Cemetery. Chief mourners were Mrs. Elizabeth Maurtagh, sister-in-law, nephews, Patrick, Liam and Paul and nieces Mrs. Renee Cummins (Newbridge) Miss Maria Cummins (Dublin); Mrs. M. Cole, Mrs. E. Roe, Mrs. Imelda Kittel, Miss Frances Murtagh, and Miss Amelia Murtagh (all leaving in England).

 

Re-typed by Lynn Potts

Previous post:

Next post: