200 YEAR BAND LINK

by jdurney on June 8, 2011

Leinster Leader March 8, 1975

200- year band link

The 200th anniversary of the founding of the first band in Maynooth was marked at the annual general meeting of St. Mary’s Brass and Reed Band.
The first Band was formed in 1775, and from 1908 to 1910 there were twin bands in the town, Mahons (Tailors) and Bagnells. Up to 1913 they were brass bands and in that year, woodwind was introduced by the then Bandmaster, Mr. Gorman who also trained some of the present band. The Band Hall was burned in 1923 and the band went out of existence and was reformed in 1931 by Fr. T. Grogan, S. Kavanagh, M. Nolan, P. Weafer, all since passed away, and Tom Waldron. He became a member in 1910 and Asst. Secretary B. Grady joined in 1917.
Beginners classes are held each week and there is room for new members.
Elected: Life President, Phil Brady; President, Very Rev. F. O’Higgins, P.P.; Chairman, P. Boyd; Vice-Chairman, P. Dunne; Secretary, M. Dempsey (Greenfields); Asst. Secretary, B. Grady; Treasurer, C. Murphy; Staff Major, M. Brady; Committee: M. Dempsey, J. Boyd, J. Dunne, J. Beane, M. Dempsey, Miss C. Dempsey. A vote of sympathy was passed to the relatives of the late Mr. P. Weafer who died recently and the meeting was adjourned as a mark of respect.

Previous post:

Next post: