FAI Cup Kynog united V Dalkey United

Both teams served up a thoroughly entertaining cup tie last Saturday afternoon. The early stages saw Donal McGrath causing problems for the visitors defence with a couple of efforts narrowly missing the target. The Dalkey midfield were well represented by Ben McCauley and De Paor on the right wing. Kynog took the lead in the 15th minute when Donal McGrath fed Gavin Crowe whose strike beat Sam Robinson. Dalkey were retaining the ball well whilst unable to create clear chances as the home defence was being well marshalled by Stephen Byrne and Eoin Quinlan. The visitors almost equalised in the 28th minute following an inswinging corner headed off his own line by Ciaron Baselmans. Dalkey United levelled up matters in the 34th minute when Eoghan McDonnell picked up the ball in midfield and struck a ferocious shot from 25 yards that beat Blaine Treacy and found the back of the net. Kynog responded with a Jason Ryan pass that found Shane Merriman whose cross eluded the onrushing forwards. Half time arrived without further scores. Dalkey started the second period much the stronger with the home team thankful for Blaine Treacy on a couple of occasions making critical saves when the Dalkey forwards looking certain to score. The threat from the visitors continued and they duly took the lead when Johnny Heffernon struck from the edge of the area. To their credit Kynog raised their game and a Jason Ryan effort was well saved by Sam Robinson. The equaliser for Kynog arrived when Martin Baneham controlled a long ball before his shot was well saved only for Donal McGrath to be on hand to fire home the rebound. The game was now very much in the balance with both teams going for the winner. Then in the 82nd minute following a Dalkey corner Marc Wolfe chipped the Kynog keeper and found the roof of the net. Kynog pushed hard for the equaliser but time ran out which sees Dalkey United advance to the next round. A terrific played in good spirit by both teams.