under 10 Match Report Kynog United V Clane

Clane 3-0 Kynog United


The U10s turned out in their first match since October missing a few players and looking for their first win of the season. The match started evenly with few chances for either side, until Clane broke on the left only for a fine sliding tackle from captain Reece Winders to prevent a goal scoring chance. The game remained even with Adam Toman in the Kynog midfield finding good spaces on the left and making some incisive and probing passes as Kynog looked to unlock a tight Clane defence while fellow midfielder Ross Phelin, making his debut, broke up Clane’s midfield play very effectively. Mid way through the first half, Kynog were punished for failing to clear from a corner as the ball was fired into the roof of the net from close range. This spurred Kynog on and twice in the space of a few minutes, Gerry Melia was denied by excellent saves, while a great through ball found David Dunn through on goal only for a last ditch tackle to block the shot. Just as it looked like Kynog were taking control of the game, another corner led to a second goal for Clane as Kynog again failed to clear and the ball was prodded home. This took the wind out of Kynog’s sails as Clane dominated and it was only a fine save from keeper Craig Harris that kept the score at 2-0 as the half-time whistle sounded. Kynog came out in the second half with renewed vigour and play was again fairly even, but Clane were making good use of the slope and it was only a fantastic defensive performance from Joey Toman who seemed to be everywhere, that kept Clane out until a speculative shot found the net. To their credit, Kynog kept going to the end and were unfortunate when further chances for David Dunn and Johnny Byrne, who was stepping up from the U8’s and did not look out of place, shaved the post. At the end of the day, it was not to be for Kynog, but the team can take credit for the effort they put in and the quality of some of their play.