activity on the playing field finished for the year 2000
we turn our thoughts to things more social.
Our very popular Dinner Dance is being revived after a lapse
of 4 years it takes place on Friday 17th November in the
Spa Hotel Lucan. On the night Presentations will be made
to the championship winning team of 1975 and County Board
Chairman Andrew O’Sullivan will attend.
Tickets are £20 each and are available from Committee members.
We wish to stress that admission is by ticket
only and no money will be accepted on the night.
The meal will commence at 9 p.m. sharp and music
is by Gemini.
So get your tickets early and come early. We have a lot
to get through so an early start is important.
The under 18 and under 21 teams are still on course for
a record treble of championship titles (at time of writing).
So hopefully there will be some silverware on display at
the Dinner Dance.
up and coming events:
Kildare Camogie Board Presentation Night Friday 24th November
in Celbridge at 8pm
Kildare Camogie Flag Day November 3rd and 4th
Camogie Board AGM 29th November in Sarsfields at 7.30pm
Both clubs extend a warm welcome to Mrs. Cooke Mc Carthy
who was recently appointed principal teacher in Newtown
Sean Gorman PRO
and Newtown Parish Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
For two years we waited for this day; The trip of a lifetime,
9 days in the Holy Land, to walk the same ground as our
The idea of a pilgrimage to the Holy Land was first conceived
by Father Paul O’Boyle almost 2 years ago and after much
planning and preparation we ventured forth on 1st Oct. From
East to West and North to South the country is steeped in
places and sites sacred to Christians, Muslims and Jews.
Our first 4 days were spent in Galilee where Jesus lived
and preached. Open air Masses at the site of the Loaves
and Fishes and the Mount of Beatitudes, a boat trip on the
sea of Galilee to Capernaum, Masses on the top of Mont Taber,
the site of the Transfiguration and a very special visit
to Nazareth, homeof the Holy family were the fulfilment
of a lifetime of dreams.
Every day started with a wakeup call at 6.30am and after
breakfast we were on the road by 8am. There were two coaches
to carry our very large group of 100 mostly from Kilcock-Newtown
area, with a few welcome additions including Father O’Boyle’s
mother Patricia. Two well-informed guides travelled with
us everywhere and besides taking us to all the wonderful
places they also kept us out of harms way.
On the 5th day of our pilgrimage we headed South by the
Jordan River to Jerusalem. On the way we visited the historical
site of Massada and floated on the Dead Sea, the lowest
point on Earth. The atmosphere in Jerusalem was a little
tense because of the troubles but we visited most of the
shrines we had planned on. Visits to the room of The Last
Supper, Calvary, Jesus’ tomb and the place of The Resurrection,
all central points of our Christian faith, were very moving
and one felt very privileged just to be there.
Another very stirring experience was the visit to Yad Vashem
Holocaust Memorial built in memory of the 6 million Jews
who were executed in the Nazi labour camps during the Second
Unfortunately we did not get to visit Bethlehem but we did
get to view it from the Shepherds’ field. The Land of Israel
is very arid and a lot of the southern half is desert with
only a scattering of nomads wandering with their herds of
sheep and goats. In the valleys they grow a lot of fruit
– bananas, oranges, dates and olives with the aid of irrigation.
In the 2 weeks since we returned home I’ve had time to reflect
and I feel so privileged that I was able to make this wonderful
pilgrimage and with such a lovely group of people. We owe
a special thanks to Father Paul and his friend Father John
Weldon who made every day more special than the one before.
One day in the future it would be great to do it again.
TO SEE YOU GO
The people of Donadea and the wider community were sad to
hear of Kit and Ann’s decision to close the shop at Donadea.
A large group gathered to mark the closing on Saturday the
28th Oct last in Ballagh House. Ann and Mags pleasant ways
and helpfulness will be fondly remembered and sadly missed.
We wish them every success and good wishes for the future
Peter’s Well (contd from Oct issue)
A ‘Pattern’ may have taken place at St Peters
Well prior to the mid 1500s but by 1837 there was no knowledge
of a ‘Pattern’ at the well: however there was a record of
a Pattern previously held in Donadea Church on St. Peters
day. Donadea Church has always been referred to as St. Peters
Church and the place name suggests definite links with St.
Patrick. In fact all place names bearing the name Domnach
as in ‘Domnach De’ the Irish for Donadea, signify a Church
that was founded by St. Patrick on a Sunday. As the two
sites are only one mile apart and share a common saint and
feast day together with links to St Patrick, it is likely
the origins of both are closely interconnected, with the
common patron, St. Peter, possibly derived from the one
It was also recorded in the book of Armagh that St. Patrick
founded a religious house at Dunmurraghill. This was probably
the ancient Dunmurraghill Church that was situated between
the summit of the hill and Donadea demesne wall. The wording
in the book also indicated the Church was sited above the
valley that contained one of the major roads in the country
of the period. This road was known as the ‘Slighe Mor’.
Also at that time there was a stone that was more than likely
a marker stone situated on this road and referred to as
”a stone of Patrick”. However this stone does not appear
to have survived although according to local tradition a
rock blessed by St. Patrick did exist in the townland.
It would appear the religious house St. Patrick founded
became a small monastery, as a reference is made in the
early Christian period to 7 Bishops who were from Dunmurraghiil
and descended from a king of Leinster. Further evidence
of this monastery comes from the annals of the four masters
that record the death in 837 of Domhnall Mac Aedh who was
referred to as the ‘Abbot’ of Dunmurraghill. The Vikings
from Dublin destroyed the Church in 1035 and it appears
the religious center declined from this period and never
In 1880 Dr. Comerford wrote that the foundations of the
Church were visible and situated in a planted field known
as the Fox-covert field. Lord Walter FitzGerald carried
out research in 1912 and wrote that the old burial ground
was then referred to as the Reliceen. He recorded that the
last burial he heard of took place in 1832.
In 1915 the graveyard at Donadea was closed to general burials
and a new cemetery replacing it was situated at Dunmurraghill.
The site chosen for the new burial ground was very interesting,
as it may have been sited on a possible entrance to the
Reliceen burial ground. It may well be that some knowledge
of the ecclesiastical importance of Dunmurraghill was a
factor in choosing this site together with a desire to maintain
links with an area associated with St. Patrick and connections
to St. Peter.
St. Peter’s well is listed as a monument on the Office of
Public Works sites and monuments record and is therefore
recognised as a site of archaeological importance. It is
unique as it is beside a ring fort in a townland with definite
documentary evidence of a visit by St. Patrick. From its
origin possibly in the pre-Christian period it has miraculously
survived to the 21st century and remains today an important
ecclesiastical site sacred to all Christians.
Seamus Cullen, 14 July 2000
Community Network ]