Planning and Development Act 2000 (As amended)
Planning and Development Regulations 2001
(As amended) (Part 8)
Notice of Proposed Development
Proposed development of a Food, Drinks and Skills Innovation Hub at the Model School, Dublin Road, Athy, Co. Kildare
Planning Ref. P82021.03
Pursuant to the requirements of the above, Kildare County Council proposes to develop a Food, Drinks and Skills Innovation Hub at the Model School, Dublin Road, Athy, Co. Kildare. This development, which is the subject of this Part 8 public consultation will involve the refurbishment and fit-out of the vacant building to provide training, demonstration and shared commercial kitchens, café/meeting area, co-working areas, ancillary sanitary and storage facilities and all associated site works.
The proposed works will include:
- Internal alterations and fit-out as training and innovation kitchens, co-working areas, showcase cafe and ancillary facilities.
- Installation of new mechanical and electrical services including lift and air intake and extract ventilation units.
- External alterations including demolition of lean-to toilet block and latrines in rear yard.
- Modification of existing site entrances and formation of new vehicular entrance from Geraldine Road.
- Siteworks including improvement of service ducts and drainage systems, provision of gas tanks, car parking and associated works, landscaping including modification of ground levels to facilitate universal access to the building.
This application also includes an Appropriate Assessment screening report and an Environmental Impact Assessment screening report.
The Model School is included in the Record of Protected Structures for Athy, RPS Ref. AY 133.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development will be available to view on Kildare County Council’s website at
The proposed development has undergone Appropriate Assessment Screening under the Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC), the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended, and the European Communities (Bird and Natural Habitats) Regulations 2011-2015. Kildare County Council has determined that an Appropriate Assessment is not required. The proposed development, individually or in combination with other plans or projects, will not have a significant effect on a European Site.
In addition, the proposal has also undergone screening for Environmental Impact Assessment under the EIA Directive 2011/92/EU as amended by Directive 2014/52/EU, (and the relevant provisions of the Planning and Development Act 2000, as amended and the Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended) and Kildare County Council has determined that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and that an Environmental Impact Assessment is not required.
In accordance with Article 120 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), any person may, at any time before the expiration of 4 weeks beginning on the date of this notice, apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the proposed development would be likely to have significant effects on the environment.
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the proposed development would be situated can be made:
- online at https://consult.kildarecoco.ie/en/consultation/part-8-proposed-development-food-drinks-skills-innovation-hub-model-school-athy-p8202103
- or in writing to: Jacqui McNabb, Head of Enterprise, Kildare County Council, Level 7, Áras Chill Dara, Devoy Park, Naas, Co. Kildare, W91 X77F.
- on or before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, 6 April 2021.
Late submissions will not be accepted. Submissions should be headed:
“Proposed development of a Food, Drinks and Skills Innovation Hub at the Model School, Athy, Co. Kildare. Planning Ref. P82021.03”
All comments including names of those making comments submitted to the Council in regard to this scheme, as outlined above, will form part of the statutorily required report to be presented at a meeting of the elected members. Accordingly they will also be included in the minutes of that meeting and may appear in the public domain.