Press Releases/Adverts Banner Press Releases
and Adverts

Default text size Large text size Extra large text size High contrast text

Home : Press Releases/Adverts



Official Opening of Cassidy Court, Monasterevin

The Mayor of Kildare, Councillor Martin Miley, together with Cathaoirleach of Athy Municipal District, Councillor Ivan Keatley, officially opened Kildare County Council’s new housing development at Cassidy Court, Monasterevin, on Friday, 9 February 2018. 

The Mayor welcomed the delivery of the first scheme of newly constructed social homes in Monasterevin for a number of years and looked forward to more developments of social housing throughout the county. 

Last year Kildare County Council sought “Expressions of Interest” for land or property that could be made available for social housing.  Thoval Properties Ltd responded to this call and Kildare County Council entered into a contract with Thoval to acquire thirteen newly constructed homes.  These three bedroom homes are constructed to the highest standard and are A rated.  The development was delivered in two phases, with six units completed just before Christmas and the remaining seven units at the beginning of February.  The development is funded by the Government under the ‘’Rebuilding Ireland - Action Plan for Housing and Homelessness’’.

Kildare County Council’s Chief Executive, Mr Peter Carey, welcomed the delivery of 13 social homes in Monasterevin, noting that turnkey developments, such as this, will play an important part in meeting Kildare County Council’s delivery targets under the current Rebuilding Ireland programme.

The Mayor and Chief Executive extended best wishes to the new residents of Cassidy Court and wished them every happiness for the future in their new homes.

Background to location:

Cassidy Court takes its name from the former Cassidy’s Distillery which was established in Monasterevin in 1784 and lay at the heart of social and economic life in the town for 137 years.  Throughout its time in Monasterevin the distillery was operated and owned by the Cassidy family, with the whiskey it produced labelled Cassidy & Co.  The Distillery was a major source of employment in Monasterevin and the whiskey it produced was recognised for its quality with much of the produce exported overseas; canal boats transported the casks to Dublin.  The distillery closed in 1921. 

Back to other News Items